• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

When did you join PPFA?

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
Just a general discussion topic...

When did YOU join PPFA?

How has membership benefitted your business?

Do you attend local meetings?

Do you usually attend the annual convention?

Has anyone in your shop, or yourself, become certified by PPFA?

Mike - Great discussion point....

When did YOU join PPFA? Summer of 1978 - Opened my doors in September and actually took a PPFA "Road" Seminar in Minneapolis that same year. (Anyone remember what the PPFA logo looked like back then?)

How has membership benefitted your business? I think the biggest benefit is mutal professional sharing of ideas relating to the craft and the business of framing.

Do you attend local meetings? I've been a member and officer of both the Upper Midwest Chapter (1978-94) and the Wisconsin Chapter (1984-Current). Not only do we attend as owners but try to send staff members when the subject matter is appropriate.

Do you usually attend the annual convention? Drove 17 Hours to New Orleans in 1981 to my second annual PPFA Convention! :shocked: (First was in Chicago in 1980) Since then I have attended about 65% but now that the convention coincides with WCAF Show...it's almost an automatic.

Has anyone in your shop, or yourself, become certified by PPFA? Besides myself**, I've had two former employees become Certified. We have always encouraged this, but recognize that it is a personal decision. We will gladly supply the study materials for any staff member, and the costs of going to a trade show to take the exam. We have always let the individual pay for the exam fee....but if they pass...a raise is automatic! :thumb:

** I took the first CPF exam in San Francisco in 1986 - There had to be about 120-140 people in the room taking the exam... Past PPFA President Burt Fosse, Current PPFA President Tom Pavlock, Nona Powers, Vivian Kistler, Paul Frederick, Decor Editor Alice Gibson... and a slew of others. I remember seeing a list at one time. It was an exciting time for the industry.

John

Last edited:
When did YOU join PPFA? I found out about PPFA from a framer in Illinois about a year after I started framing at a Ben Franklin in Northern Virginia. It was just in time to go to the convention in Baltimore in 1980. In 1981, I went out on my own and joined immediately.
I have done group buys, gotten leads on products to sell, and shared rooms at trade shows for all those years. And I can never leave out all the great friendships!

Almost always. Those who know me are not surprised to learn that I have been president of the chapter off and on ever since I joined, and when I was 'out' I still rarely miss a meeting.

I went out I am such a convention junkie! I hardly ever miss. From New York City (remember the ballroom of the Penta Hotel? Thought I had died and gone to Heaven!) to Atlanta, to a hundred Las Vegas shows, you can almost always find me there.

John, I, too, was at that first sitting of the CPF. There were no study materials in those days, so it felt like that nightmare where you discover you forgot to go to class and now it is final exam time.

I also jumped at the chance to try the MCPF, so I think that makes me the only person to take both exams the first time they were offered. Several of my staff have expressed interest over the years to take the CPF, but haven't actually stepped up yet. The deal from us is we will pay for the exam, and they can borrow all the materials from the chapter via our shop membership.

My History With The PPFA

I joined the PPFA Feb 1978, took the CPF exam at the Pentagon Howard Johnsons with two of my employees Sep. 1987. I'm pretty sure I saw Ellen at the 1980 PPFA Show in Baltimore, I was the guy with dark hair. Then at the first Art -A-Rama at the Penta Hotel in New York City, that Ellen mentioned, is the first time I saw John Ranes II on a panel and the toilet paper holder in our room was broken. It just all seemed to come together then.
I believe that our industry has changed more in the last 30 years than it had in the last several hundred years and that is due to the PPFA, people like John Ranes II and the cooperation of suppliers. The willingness of those framers, much smarter than myself, willing to share thier knowledge and the PPFA, Decor and suppliers making it available to us is what has made the industry go forward. Those of us who remember multi copy paper work orders with price/size sheets for recording frame jobs, straight line mat cutters, oval mat cutters and only drop ship or UPS from suplliers can reminisce with me. My point of sales computer, computerised custome framing display of "your art" before it is framed and my computerised mat cutter allow me to run a shop my size with more efficiency then I ever imagined.
The above mentioned people are responcible for that and I and my family and my pleased customers thank you very, very much.

I joined PPFA in about 1996. The first year dues were about $250, then the next year closer to $300, and the third year were so high (I think over $350) that I simply didn't have the available cash to pay them. I dropped out, but continued to follow the organization in the trades and stop in at the booth in Atlanta. Internet was not much available then. I came back in 2003, and have stayed active since. The 2003 dues were $95. It has crept up a bit since, but never as high as the dues from 1996. It is the best bargain I know of. Almost anybody can afford it if they want to be a member.

I joined PPFA in 2007. I was getting back into framing after leaving it in the 1970's. I found about PPFA during a google search.

I participate in the local chapter events. I use PPFA to make me a better framer, and get out of the 70's framing mentality (although I primarily used cotton rag even then.)

I am a one person frame shop. I have read all of the materials for th CPF exam, and I have even taken the CPF prep classes, but I have not tqken the actual exam.

I have attended one of the conventions, but from an expense standpoint I can only attend one convention a year, and for me the WCAF is better. I did attend some PPFA classes this last year in Las Vegas, but I did not attend the events on Sunday or Monday because I could not be gone that long.

When did YOU join PPFA? First joined in 1991 so that I could take the CPF exam. A couple of years later I didn't renew, because there was no activity here in Oz. Rejoined somewhere around 2001-2. Became Chapter leader in 2009.

How has membership benefitted your business? I gained a lot more knowledge by talking the CPF exam and was able to raise the standard of my work and educate customers!

Our chapter works a little differently as it occupies about the same area as the entire USA. There are very few 'local meetings'. I have held some industry meetings in my area and Brisbane over the past few years.

In Australia, yes. I have also traveled to USA to attend two conventions.

I gained my CPF in 1991 in Melbourne at the final APFA (no relation to PPFA) conference. About 30 Australian framers took the CPF exam at that time. It was the first time it was offered in Oz. Brian Barnett taught some classes as an introduction to the exam. I think Vivian Kistler and Kaye Evans taught classes at that conference. Barbara ??? from Canada was the president of PPFA at that time.
I have the honour of being the first Aussie framer to gain the MCPF. That was in 2008 in Las Vegas when WCAF and the PPFA conference were back to back! Since then I have been actively involved in examining framers in Anaheim, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. I really enjoy that.

When did I join ?

I joined the professional Picture Framers Association in March, 1973. We attended our first convention in Cincinnati, Ohio during a late season snowfall on March 17, l973, St. Patrick's Day. The kids loved the parade in the snow.

The picture framing industry has provided my life work. We only survived because of what I learned from PPFA and it's generous members.

I founded the Great Lakes Chapter of PPFA in 1983 with my family. After four years the chapter fell on hard times and it went dormant due to a serious shortage of volunteer workers. The chapter had a back to life experience under new leadership and thrives today. We still attend some meetings and encourage our sons to support them.

I look forward to attending as many of the newly combined trade shows as possible. They will evolve to be as important to our industry as the original trade shows and conventions were.
I hope PFM / WCAF concur

My wife and I and one of our sons sat for the first CPF exam. All of us passed, but one of us passed on the second try taking the exam. We have three CPF s on staff. We encourage all of our staff to better themselves by studying for the CPF examinations.

In 1977 I was nominated and elected to serve as National East Central Associate Regional Director. During the next consecutive eleven years I was elected to serve a number of offices in the National association. Those offices include, East Central Regional Director, National PPFA Treasurer, National PPFA President and Great Lakes Chapter President. I resigned from National PPFA before taking the National Past Presidents office 1990 .

Tom Pavlock

When did I join PPFA?

When did YOU join PPFA? I think I can honestly say since 1980 when I first started framing...or at least was an employee of a shop that joined PPFA. When I first bought my own shop in 1996, I continued the tradition

How has membership benefitted your business?The credibility of such an organization! Signage was always displayed and often times brought about conversations with clients about PPFA

Do you attend local meetings? Oh yes, I even help coordinate the meetings

Do you usually attend the annual convention? Yes

Has anyone in your shop, or yourself, become certified by PPFA?Yes, myself, I took the MCPF test in 2007 and did that ever make me a better picture framer!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Ditto what Les Martin says!!

:bump:

When did YOU join PPFA?

When did YOU join PPFA?
About two months before I opened my shop in 2002.

I can honestly say without PPFA I would not be in business today. Seminars, framers to bounce ideas off of, competitions, certification ... It's all fundamental to maintaining the business style and presence I have.

Duh

yes

Obviously I have my MCPF, but I also had a woman that worked for me for years get her CPF and my current full timer that has been here for just over a year is now studying for hers.

When did YOU join PPFA?
  • Don't remember the date for sure but basicaly as soon as I opened - approx 8 yrs ago - 2004

• Association with other framers and exchanging ideas
  • This forum is one benefit as well as the newsletter
  • Knowing I can also pick up the phone and call an expert in any field of framing and get help
  • As a one person shop, knowing that I am not alone in this.
  • Framing competitions - John Ranes could claim he was the most Award Winning Framer and I felt that did elevate him in the eyes of the public. I have been chasing that claim, and I can say in the last 8 yrs that I have that title in Ohio. We promote that on our website and on our Radio spots. People do come in to look at examples on display and it does help to instill confidence. Of course it has also helped me to be a better framer. I have and continue all to get involved in that aspect, as most chapters could benefit by far more entries.

• I attend both my Ohio chapter meetings and the Great Lakes Chapter (Mi.)

• Sadly I've only been able to attend twice.

• Certification for me is not something that I have choosen to pursue.

When did YOU join PPFA? 2008-9

How has membership benefitted your business? How has it not? Great friends that I can call at a moments notice for information. Great classes! Friends. More enthusiasm for the job. Friends. You see a pattern?

Do you attend local meetings? Every one since joining.

Do you usually attend the annual convention? All but one since joining.

Yes!

I joined PPFA when I began researching the framing business and decided to open my own shop, which had to be 1987. Back then, I knew almost nothing about framing, but thanks to PPFA books, classes, friends willing to answer my questions, and the CPF program, I have been able to progress much more quickly than I could have without the benefits of PPFA. And the progress continues.

I have the pleasure of attending a dozen-or-so chapter meetings annually, but most of them are for teaching assignments. Gail and I attended all of our local chapter meetings until it disbanded in the mid-90s. After that I felt like an orphan, until the Northern Ohio (Cleveland) chapter expanded to the whole state. Now we get to attend some of the meetings, but 6 hours of driving (3 hours each way) after a full weekday at the shop is a problem, especially for an old guy like me. About once a year they schedule a meeting south of their market and closer to home, which helps. Anyway, we go when we can.

As far as I can recall, we haven't missed an annual convention since we joined.

I earned the CPF designation in 1990 and over the years, four of our employees have become CPFs, as well. I earned the MCPF in 2002.

Here is my information for the statistics.

When? I joined in 2006 and on May 6th 2007 passed the CPF Exam. Have since recertified until the last day of this year.
Benefits? Numerous. I would have been an average framer without PPFA involvement.
Meetings? None so far as the nearest meeting is held in Australia. I live in New Zealand and sadly at present we only have two or three members.
Annual Convention? None so far, but like to. The cost is the biggest holdback as I opened my framing shop in August 2012
Certified? Yes, I am a CPF and have intentions to sit the MCPF exam. I already hold the GCF and all three Advanced GCF accredititations

I joined in 1986 right when we set up our shop. I was 23 and everyone seemed so much older! I still keep in touch with many of those Chapter members long after they retired or left the industry. Our then Chapter President and his wife had me to their home for Sunday dinner. When my brother-in-law had a sudden major surgery, they helped me get my frames joined. Our Chapter Officers gave free sessions on brush up of CPF material so that more framers could pass the CPF. The kind things go on and on. They truly set a great example.

There were a few years when I thought twice when writing out the dues check. Sometimes times are tough. I am proud to say that I never let my membership lapse in our 26 years. I don't think that I could have done it alone. Sharing ideas strengthens my business.

For the first 18 years I was not involved in Chapter leadership. For the past eight I have. I think that the leadership roles, although a little time consuming, made the business go further. I have met the most amazing people from being a Chapter Leader. I would challenge those who haven't given it a try to see what's available in your local Chapter. I bet that there is an open position that you might be able to fill.

I've attended pretty much every local meeting. Why not?

Certification shows that I'm proud to be a part of my industry. I don't regret going the extra mile.

Susan :thumb:

When did YOU join PPFA?

December, 2012 (Made Cliff Wilson a happy man ;) )

So far, the support is amazing. I think this may be the start of a beautiful relationship :)

I've been to one, two if you include the one this tuesday :)

Two years so far!

[/QUOTE]

Not as of yet.

When did YOU join PPFA

About 2006

Directly (I had a guy halfway across the country give me a local installation job last year because I was on the PPFA site) and indirectly, through education and advice in all aspects of framing.

Yes, four times a year for the Los Angeles chapter.

Yes, in Las Vegas (it's only 3.5 hours up the road for me), and Anaheim, too.

Yes, CPF five years ago, and the other one three weeks ago. If I ever get employees, I will emphasize it.

Back