• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Rowing the boat

Dave Wetterstroem

Company
FrameMakers of Powell
I have only been here a short while but I have seen people talk often about rowing the boat. Meaning that we all need to work together to proceed forward.

My question is where are we going?

I really haven't seen what the PPFA goals are as an organization and for it's membership. Could someone fill me in?

I have my oar in hand, but before I put it in the water, I would like to know that we aren't headed for a waterfall.

Dave,

Patience dear Padawan.

PPFA as a whole is waiting for data from International. International was given our messed up database on Dec.22nd. I can tell you that Chapter Leaders and the International Board have a list of where we would like to see PPFA progress, but like any business no action can be taken until the information is good and usable.

So, as a new member, let me ask you: Where would YOU like to see PPFA go? What would you like to see this year, next?

Have you thought about volunteering on your chapter level, or on a committee? We'd love to have your input.

We (PPFA members) are very pumped after the conference and would love to have things happen NOW. But to point our boat in the right direction, we have to be patient and do it right.

Thank you!
-Sarah

To answer your question in a very generic sense (and I apologize for that) I see PPFA goals moving in a positive direction: focusing on its members, on education, and branding PPFA as a whole to consumers as well as to trade vendors.

This doesn't really answer the question, but it is a starting place:

PPFA Mission Statement

PPFA leads, unifies, and serves the art and framing industry as an advocate for its members and by offering programs that elevate professional standards, enhance profitability, and expand sales. PPFA will disseminate timely information, products, and services and provide forums contributing to increased profitability, business growth, and a sense of community for the global framing industries.

Sarah, I already have chatted with Robin about committees and am waiting on a reply.

I also have been working on my vision of what I see the PPFA becomining.

"I can tell you that Chapter Leaders and the International Board have a list of where we would like to see PPFA progress"
This is what I would like to know. Where does the leadership want to take the PPFA? What do they consider to be the biggest weaknesses?
What are they doing to address these issues? What help do they need to get there?

You say be patient, but the PPFA only has till September to convince me stay.

BTW, that would be the first thing I would change. Switch the membership year to 12 months from when you sign up instead of this Mickey Mouse bull that it is right now. The people from Coulter say that this is no problem on their end, and that most of their organizations operate in this manner. I have been told 1. That's the way it has always been done 2. This is the norm for trade organizations (wrong) 3. PMA sets the rules on this and is unwilling to change. So maybe with the new people at the head of PMA and Coulter this could happen. I was also told by one of the people from Coulter that the PPFA and PMA are being treated as separate organizations by them so if they ever do split, it will already be set up for that.

As I said, I have my oar in hand.

Hi Dave,

I just sent a PM to you about committees.

Your concerns are all things we have brought up over and over for the last several years and the points you list are the things we were told by the old management. Now that we have NEW Management this is one of the items on the priority list. The International Board DOES want the membership year to be a rolling year. We are getting a full list of items together to submit to Staff in order of Priority.

Items we have discussed are Membership year, dues, Benefits, Vendor participation, Framer Participation, Website, Education, Chapters, Competitions, and Consumer Awareness in no particular order.

I know we have all been patient for a while now but I ask we all please be patient a bit longer. Now that we are under NEW Management they are sorting out all the PPFA data from the PMA data and getting it in an organized useable form. As Sarah says once we have this we will be in a better position to know where we are going and how we are getting there.

Robin

Dave,you are preachin' to the choir. Things have happened so fast with PMA--we had just hit our 30th day with new management at WCAF--that we haven't even settled on our priorities for this year, but the 2 you mention are on the list for sure. 1. A clear strategic plan and 2. making it easier to become and stay a member. Frankly, the change in management removed the main impediments to getting these things done.

We know we can't fix everything by Sept 30, so we want to be careful to pick the things we work on so that we get the greatest benefit possible.

I know it sounds crazy, but it realistically will be mid-March before committees get going.

I completely agree about expiration dates, and have been suggesting this for years. The software was claimed as the problem, and that is in the process of being changed. The new staff will be using a different software product, and they're smack dab in the middle of conversion now. I believe they pulled the plug on the IMIS database system a week ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as one of the planned improvements. I also realize that we cant expect all of this to happen in the first week.

Good things are ahead.

So, we can all agree that the previous PMA staff was an impediment to a LOT of things we were begging for and we now have a LOT of administrative things that have a potential to be fixed. The dues structure, the membership year, and others, but those are actually administrivia. The question is "Where do we want the organization to head," not just "what stupid stuff do we need to fix?"

For the past few years we been attacking things on a multi-prong level with volunteers in spite of PMA, not with them. Let's review a little bit what we've been doing, because I think it hints at where we were heading with our multi-headed hydra.

First, let's list the "areas of focus" the organization has and a very quick statement about what's been going on. (a side note: my personal belief is that EVERY one of these helps an individual member grow their business if used properly)

Guidelines: New and revision of many books have been completed over recent years. With the loss of Vivian, PPFA is the main source of updated techniques and material information for the industry.

Competition: A change to almost entirely volunteer run with a revenue neutral model using entry fees and sponsors for prizes.

Framer's Corner: Moved off of PMA's server and changed to a volunteer run forum. Separate sub-forums set up so there is a completely public section for design and classified that webcrawlers can see to enable google type finds, a section for members only, so private business type things can be discussed out of the view of consumers and private sections for committees to do their work. (with banner ads, revenue positive)

Consumer Awareness: multiple Facebook pages, Pinterest, etc have been created and run by volunteers. A rewrite of the Findapictureframer.com site was completed and run outside of the PMA servers and volunteer run with a blog. The original idea was that the three pronged stool of social media, the design section of FC, and the FAPF blog would begin to drive consumer searches to the FAPF and more business for our members. (this is still evolving)

Membership: We've been trying to communicate better. We (Sheila) created the PPFA flyer listing benefits available, both tangible and intangible. PMA setup discounts for Worker's Comp and FedEx and others (some that didn't quite take). We created the PPFA Member Advantage as a way for our vendor members to "get access to our members." They have to have a special offer, but it costs them nothing, and the net result was intended to help both the vendor and member.

Marketing support: Languished somewhat due to lack of interest by the members. Years ago there was newsletter templates created, content generated, ads for many different possible campaigns that logos could be added to, but they were not used, so this kind of went quiet.

Training: Chapters have conducted ALL manner of training and the SouthEast Chapter in particular upgraded offerings in their area. The Education Committee continued to put on programs in Vegas that supported our members and providing continuing education for MCPFs.

Certification: The CPF exam and MCPF exam are both under constant revue particularly in light of the changing books available.

Organization: The entire Chapter structure was revamped to try to give under performing chapters more members and get them up to critical mass as well as to make sure all members had a "home chapter" for communication, competition, and support. Chapter Relations Committee worked hard to try to help new chapter leaders get up to speed on running their chapter with the intention of getting more classes and support to our members in their local area. (still a long way to go in some areas of the country)

OK, I'm getting tired of typing. What did I forget?

IMO, a rolling membership year would be a huge improvement that would allow PPFA to market membership year round, and allow prospective members to join when the their interest is at its peak.

However, PPFA can't survive with roughly 850 members, which is a far smaller percentage of the industry than Jay Goltz' generous estimate. A rolling membership year could make a big difference, but only if PPFA begins to put its clear and primary focus on helping framers make money, instead of making frames. Without that shift, PPFA's appeal to the bulk of the industry will never improve to the degree that will compel the infidels to come on-board.

Nothing else matters to the rest of the industry except whether membership unquestionably helps make money and compete more effectively. If you don't do something dramatic to appeal to these people, and do it soon, you might as well write PPFA's epitaph. You're on your last chance, the boat has a huge hole in it and rowing won't change that. Stop blaming PMA, the problems are yours, not their's. You're too busy trying to please your anointed ones, while ignoring and alienating the bulk of the industry.

IMO, a rolling membership year would be a huge improvement that would allow PPFA to market membership year round, and allow prospective members to join when the their interest is at its peak.

However, PPFA can't survive with roughly 850 members, which is a far smaller percentage of the industry than Jay Goltz' generous estimate. A rolling membership year could make a big difference, but only if PPFA begins to put its clear and primary focus on helping framers make money, instead of making frames. Without that shift, PPFA's appeal to the bulk of the industry will never improve to the degree that will compel the infidels to come on-board.

Nothing else matters to the rest of the industry except whether membership unquestionably helps make money and compete more effectively. If you don't do something dramatic to appeal to these people, and do it soon, you might as well write PPFA's epitaph. You're on your last chance, the boat has a huge hole in it and rowing won't change that. Stop blaming PMA, the problems are yours, not their's. You're too busy trying to please your anointed ones, while ignoring and alienating the bulk of the industry.
Did you read what I wrote? I think everything we do has the goal of helping our members make money. Yes some of it is through improved craft, but that's not the whole of it. And, improved craft, when applied well, can help you make more money.

I'm not sure who or what you think someone is "appeasing?" We have a lot of members volunteering for a lot of tasks, many of which are things they are individually passionate about. If "Volunteer A" feels strongly about something and they want to make it happen, and it doesn't cost actual dollars (almost all of what we do is revenue neutral) then it doesn't hurt anyone and it probably helps in it's own way.

We are NOT a hierarchy. No one gets to dictate. Volunteers do their best to do what they think will most benefit the members and the industry.

I get that you think some of what "Volunteer A" decides to do isn't as directed as you'd like, but it's their choice to contribute in that way.

I am certain, that everything we do is done with the expectation that it will improve members' businesses.

If you think something specific needs to be done, say what it is and maybe Volunteer B, C, or D will jump on board.

Paul I strongly agree with the first half of your post, but not so much with the second half. I see some people really trying hard to man the rudder and guide us to a more business focused association. I don't know all the details of what the PMA was doing or not doing, but I do feel that if many of these changes could come to fruition quickly, things can change.

For me and I think most non members I look at the ROI. I can get social interaction in a hundred different places. The Fedex discount was one thing that interested me as I am beginning to add in online sales. Cliff mentioned marketing and I feel that would be a great asset for my business and something I would love to see started up again. I will even put it out there that I am willing to volunteer on this in either a leadership or assistant role. The reasoning that there was a lack of interest in the past could be multifold. Did anyone know about it? Was it of a quality that others would even want to use it? Was it relevant? Was it directed to the consumer?

I would love to see what that program was, but I still can't sign into the PPFA website. My understanding was that there were 10 new sign ups, so after 10 days, I would hope that we would be entered into the system so we can register on the main site. :(

I understand that there are a lot of good people in the PPFA, but the direction and focus of the organization is suicidal. It's not working and the bulk of the industry see no value in joining. You know this, and although we've butted heads, I know and respect that you have actually worked to help grow PPFA's membership. However, the things PPFA is doing need to be de-emphasized because it is not what will motivate the bulk of the industry to join.

Dave, the website and member sign in is being completely changed as we move to the Coulter system.
Before they can "register" the new members they are actually implementing a new database. non-trivial.

I'll see if I can get you access to the old website so you can see the "old" stuff.

I think you need to read Post #9 Again.

Making Frames is one of the things we do that Makes Money. Every Program PPFA works on has the ultimate goal of making money. I am not sure why you think this is not the case. Also who are the anointed ones? The Volunteers are working on items the membership has ask about. Many of the items we have been trying to get taken care of have been stopped or slowed due to lack of past management. We now have a New Management team who have to this point been very willing to listen to our needs and wants. They have only been involved with PPFA for a little over 1 month so they can not make things happen overnight. I have been in contact with them almost daily with items we need to look at and how to make things happen.

Paul Where would you like to VOLUNTEER? A good place to start is on the Chapter Level. Contact your Local(Home) Chapter and ask to help out. Let them know your areas of interest. I am sure they would welcome the help.

We also have several committees and your input is welcome. Just because things do not happen immediately does not mean they are not being looked at and considered. Look at the list of committees and their descriptions and let me know where you can be of most help.

Committees: These committees are static and do not reform every year - Oaks Club, Competition Board, Framers Corner Committee (if you are interested in Competition or Framers Corner let me know and we will add you to the list of people interested when an opening comes available). All other committees are currently looking for members to Volunteer.

[FONT=&quot]Advisory Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This PMA Committee, made up of PPFA members, advises PMA on strengths, changes, opportunities and challenges to the picture framing industry, offering insights and ideas to aid in strategic planning for PPFA. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Awards & Recognition Committee [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nominates recipients for the Annual PPFA Service Awards presented at the Annual Convention in Las Vegas: Lifetime Achievement, Service, Chapter Volunteer of the Year, Vivian Kistler Award of Recognition For Innovation, Paul Frederick Distinction for Leadership Award. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Certification Board[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oversees the Certified Picture Framer (CPF) and Master Certified Picture Framer (MCPF) programs, including the Recertification Course; oversees material for the CPF Study Guide; webcasts and courses/exams including the CPF Online exam; approves education sessions designated as MCPF Continuing Education credit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chapter Relations Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Assists Chapter Leaders year-round; plans and delivers the annual Chapter Leaders Conference held in conjunction with the PPFA Annual Convention in Las Vegas.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Competition Board[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Oversees the annual PPFA International Framing Competition; assists Chapter Leaders in planning Chapter-level competitions; updates the Competition Guidelines annually; updates annual Competition forms; writes a regular CB Chat for Chapter Leaders and regular articles for the “For Members Only” newsletter; helps identify competition sponsors.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Consumer Awareness Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develops updates to PPFA’s consumer website, Find-A-Picture-Framer .com; promotes PPFA and the framing industry through Facebook pages, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social media. Strives to increase the visibility of PPFA and the industry, raise our SEO ratings and drive new consumers to the member search engine and into member frame shops.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Education Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Develops speakers and topics for Chapter events and the PPFA Annual Convention. Develops MCPF Continuing Ed. credit sessions. Helps maintain a database of available chapter speakers through the online “Speaker Source.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Framers Corner Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Moderates the PPFA Framers Corner online forum; provides ideas to further develop the forum.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Guidelines Task Force[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Develops PPFA-exclusive publications, including the PPFA Glossary of Terms, PPFA Guidelines to Framing Paintings on Canvas, PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework, and PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Membership Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Develops ideas for increasing and retaining members.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nominations Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Identifies member candidates to run for election to serve on the PPFA Board of Directors.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oaks Club[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Comprising PPFA past presidents, honoring historic perspective within our organization.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scholarship Committee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Selects annual recipients of the L. Thomas McKeon CPF Scholarship and Vivian Kistler MCPF Scholarship awards.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Paul, I'm a bit new to the organization, but my understanding is that, until the Coulter Group took over management of the PPFA, PMA had first and last say about what PPFA could and couldn't do. They still have ownership of the intellectual property of PPFA, so I would assume we are on something of a short leash. To say that we are the masters of our own demise is assuming that we were our own masters at all, which was not, and still may not be, the case.

I'm not sure which anointed ones you refer to. There are those that have earned a spot as leaders through their actions that should be respected for that. There are those that volunteer tirelessly with small thought to the accolades that may never come. Those two are not mutually exclusive. This is an organization where actions do indeed speak louder than words, and my feelings are that if you're not in the trenches helping, you are an impediment to our success.

We are just now beginning to work with the Coulter Group and we are sizing each other up. We don't know how much autonomy we will be granted, so planning grandiose changes are probably a tad premature.

There has been a small move to make the Chapters less financially reliant on the management, and that seems like a welcome and safe route to continue traveling on. We have had some pretty significant successes, and our first outing with The Coulter Group, the National Convention, seems to have been fairly seamless.

I agree that the business side of the equation is not well represented within the organization, and this is something that should probably be addressed through the Education Committee. I'm sure they are looking for volunteers to serve on that committee.

I understand that there are a lot of good people in the PPFA, but the direction and focus of the organization is suicidal. It's not working and the bulk of the industry see no value in joining. You know this, and although we've butted heads, I know and respect that you have actually worked to help grow PPFA's membership. However, the things PPFA is doing need to be de-emphasized because it is not what will motivate the bulk of the industry to join.

Paul those are some large statements. "The focus of the organization is suicidal". Which part exactly. Building camaraderie, education, vendor involvement, member discounts? The networking? Industry standardization?
"no value in joining"...that is also what Jay said off the cuff at the PFM breakfast. Yet he joined. We, I, am constantly looking at building vendor member benefits, reviewing the pricing structure so appropriately matches the vendor member "value".

As Cliff said, the projects and efforts and focus of each member is up to them. No one says "thank you for joining PPFA, here is what we would like you to do, these are the issues we would like you to help us address. Presently, there are too few of us, too much to do, and quite frankly more people need to know how easy it is to join a Chapter or a Committee in it's efforts. As we continue to grow in strength and in numbers perhaps we can have that lovely luxury. Presently, there are so few making it go...but darling Paulie, they are doing a fantastic job.

Dave, I am delighted that you have joined, and are eager to use that oar...be careful not to use it as a weapon, and be careful of what you wish for. Some of us work so hard and so much in Chapter and Committee work we wouldn't wish our workloads on our least fav people, but if someone wants to help, has something to say, would like to reach out...lemme tell ya friend, we want your help. Watch out. :smile:

Paulie, you too have much valuable insight in things. I have told you that many times over the years. I would like for you to help us make this thing go, as I know you have with Members Advantage. You have access to the new guard in framing. I think that you could be quite a leader and influence in this organization. Just be careful not to alienate yourself with comments. Flies with honey mon ami.

I don't think that discussing what direction the PPFA should be moving toward is every premature just as it should never be a conversation that is finished.

I am willing to have a little patients as the new management takes hold, but for a group as small as we are, it can't take too long to chart a course for the future.

1. Dave you are right, it shouldn't take too long to chart the future, except for the herding cats part. As Randy Parrish and John Heltman frequently say, PPFA is not a rowboat but a large ship, and it takes a very long time to change its direction. Which is not to say we shouldn't be working on it or that you shouldn't be pushing it along.

2. Paul, for at least the past 4 years PPFA membership has not declined, but has actually been increasing. (I can't speak to the situation before my involvement with the membership committee). It is a bit melodramatic to be predicting our immediate demise. And we are not suicidal in the least, though we do have some competing visions to sort out. I think everybody agrees that everything is a priority, but things have to be ranked in order to get anything done, and sometimes we are taking on things we can accomplish with the resources we have available rather than what might be perceived as the most important task ahead.

PPFA has had a tough road for the last few years, with most of us new enough that the old slights, conflicts and complaints pre-date us and consequently are beyond our comprehension. No good comes from rehashing these things and it wastes energy that needs to be directed at prospering in the NOW.

We are well positioned to make some great strides over the next 5 years, with some highly visible successes in the next 2 years. This is largely the result of committed volunteers who choose to overlook the PPFA warts and roll up their sleeves and try to turn this ship around. I am proud to be among them even though my contributions are minimal compared to others.

Sometimes you just have to draw a line and move on if you are going to avoid dying on the vine. I am a child of the 60's so I keep coming back to "if you aren't a part of the solution, you are part of the problem." It keeps me moving forward.

You could do a lot to help us, though I know you are just as busy as anyone else. We need to persuade you to stop being a doubter and jump into the fray! What will it take?

My thought is that this is the perfect time to make all members & non members feel like they have a say in the group.

Do that by a shout out to all via e-mail & Grumble for ideas and concerns. Drive all traffic to Framers Corner and have a thread in the open section.

Robin would be the ideal person to start the thread asking for comments and changes with an eye to the future.

Post a note asking all to avoid any argument and just let everyone's thoughts stand on their own.

Let Mike whack anyone who gets out of line.

Doug

Back