• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Las Vegas 2022 - convention and etc.

Russ Wood

Frequent Poster
Company
Grey Owl Framing
After two feet of snow this last week, and everything else going on, I’m starting to think about the January 2022 PPFA convention, etc.

Is anyone else? What are you planning on doing at the show / in Las Vegas in January 2022.

(And what are the dates? Air fares are extremely low right now)

Hi Russ! I am so ready for Vegas 2022. I have not heard dates yet.

I plan to attend as many events as possible, and walk the show. Also will be working the PPFA Booth.

As soon as anyone hears of dates Post them!

After two feet of snow this last week, and everything else going on, I’m starting to think about the January 2022 PPFA convention, etc.

Is anyone else? What are you planning on doing at the show / in Las Vegas in January 2022.

(And what are the dates? Air fares are extremely low right now)
Do you really think conventions will be possible again? I'm not being a pessimist, just realistic.

I think they will but they may look a bit different. Not sure yet what the requirements will be.

Do you really think conventions will be possible again? I'm not being a pessimist, just realistic.

I think so, personally. With people vaccinated and 95% unlikely to get or pass the virus, it should hopefully become a non issue. (except those who dont) That is assuming new vaccine resistant strains don't become an issue.

We should hopefully be in a MUCH better place by mid to late June of this year, IMO. Everyone will have an opportunity to get their shots by then, and it should be a huge shot in the arm for consumer confidence. Then the next question is if this is a "one and done" situation, or if we will need annual shots as we do for the Flu.

What do you all think?

I had my first shot a week ago.

Yes, I think it will be different, but I’m thinking that things will be much better by then. And I can see / understand the reluctance on the part of some of the suppliers and some framers to have a show.

And I’m sure many of us will still be wearing masks, which means I won’t recognize anyone, until they talk. So it will be like meeting new friends, then realizing you have known them for years.

I have had both of my shots now.

Four months after the previous post by Russ, and things are not looking much better...

Some performing arts conferences are happening this fall. I just received an e-mail from one stating that they are exercising their option to require vaccinations for all attendees (except for those who have medical or religious exemptions - and they are encouraged to attend virtually rather than in-person).

This Pandemic climate is crazy! It is still a wait and see but hopefully sometime next year.

Well, I’ve pushed my timeline out to January, 2023 - - - hopefully. After 2 years, it should be an exciting agenda.

luckily, until then, Robin has been putting together some free classes, online.
Big cheers to Robin for her work in continuing education!

Other forums have posted reports that WCAF-Expo is "tentatively" scheduled for June, 2022. Is that true?

These dates are not accurate and not confirmed. When dates are announced we will be sure to put on the PPFA FB page as well as an announcement here on Framers Corner. I am not sure where they are coming up with these dates but they are not accurate.

WCAF is still looking at dates in 2022 but the Conventions are still operating with caution until the pandemic is improved. They want to provide a safe environment for attendees and exhibitors.

Thanks for your explanation, Robin.

This morning an emailed notice from Bruce Gherman was posted on a few forums, saying that the earliest dates under consideration are in the third quarter of 2022. Personally, I think it might be better to wait until January 2023, and resume the usual timing of the show.

Most should have received this via email a couple days ago but I wanted to post this here for those that have not yet seen it:

Picture Framing Magazine Logo
4SXZAyn1M3F2KVIDusDK6l4E3El_5nRpML53afOGJlN3fdnEyvdzKN4pdeACVThdILd-SEBPyagu=s0-d-e1-ft
4SXZAyn1M3F2KVIDusDK6l4E3El_5nRpML53afOGJlN3fdnEyvdzKN4pdeACVThdILd-SEBPyagu=s0-d-e1-ft

Update November 9, 2021​

The WCAF Expo, the annual trade show for the art and framing industry, has not confirmed new dates for 2022. Historically held every January in Las Vegas, the expo attracts thousands of retailers both domestically and internationally. Exhibitors participate from all over the world and display extensive booth setups showcasing new products, equipment, and services. The conference component features over 100 educational sessions including keynote speakers, hands-on workshops, product demonstrations, and networking opportunities. The WCAF Expo hosts the PPFA annual convention with its many member offerings including certification programs and the PPFA International Framing Competition.

The size and complexity of this event creates new concerns during this pandemic. Many international travel restrictions that have been in place are scheduled to release this month. Vaccine requirements and mandatory proof for attendance at large events are being discussed and vary from event to event. Mask mandates, lowered capacity limits, and social distancing requirements are important issues affecting everyone in the meeting and convention industry. The exhibitors are also facing extended shipping delays that would make planning for an annual industry event much more difficult.

With the size of the WCAF Expo and high percentage of international attendance, it made more sense to postpone until a time when travel is comfortably possible. Also, Covid numbers are still affecting US attendance, and there is the strong likelihood of increased Covid numbers during the winter. It is unknown if this will affect travel again as well as restrictions to large gatherings that has fluctuated throughout 2020 and 2021.

At this time, the earliest date range would be during the third quarter of 2022. Our plan to move ahead is to wait until we can give the best possible outcome for our exhibitors, attendees, instructors, and event staff. Show management is dedicated to returning to business as usual when the caliber of show that attendees have enjoyed for over 20 years can be produced safely and successfully.

Back