• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Deadline Fast Approaching for International Competition Registration

Robin Gentry MCPF

PPFA Coordinator 2020+ Past President 2013-15
Forum Help Team
Certification Board
Competition Board
OAKS CLUB
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
B&J Gallery
If you are a winner of your Chapter Print or Open Competition the deadline for registration for the International Competition is Fast Approaching.

Deadline for Registration is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 15!!!!!

Be sure you get your registration in!!!!

Thanks for the information, I would have missed the registration! Where do we get the forms? Typically they come in an email but I did not see one this year.

The forms can be found on the PPFA website
1) www.ppfa.com
2) hover over the Competitions tab, there will be a drop down that appears (Chapter Competition Packets), click on the drop down,
3) at the bottom of the page is a block saying Forms for Chapter Competition Winners. This is where the entry forms are found along with the Entry Criteria.

Be sure you DO NOT ship your piece to National. All pieces will be shipped directly to Las Vegas. The shipping details are being finalized. Get your registrations in and the shipping info will be sent to you as soon as possible. Please be sure you make a second copy of your description form to be included in the information book on display that the Competition Wall.

Also Please share this information with All the Winners at the Chapter level. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention Winners!

From The Guidelines:
section 4.1.1
2. All 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention winners from each chapter PRINT competition
are eligible to advance to the International PRINT Framing Competition.

and
Section 4.2.1
2. All 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention winners from each chapter OPEN competition are eligible to advance to the International OPEN Framing Competition. Entries are restricted
to the chapter-winning entries from the current competition year only. Pieces from any previous year chapter competitions are not allowed.

Robin,
My entry suffered a bit during the shuffling about at the competition and subsequent Open House. The venue was not climate controlled, and the piece has a bit of expansion issues from the 90 degree heat coupled with the high humidity. The OP-3 glazing was marred in handling, and there are a couple of dings in the frame that weren't there before.
Is it OK to take apart the pieces and spiff them up in the time between Chapter Competition and International? I don't mean any design change, just some housecleaning and glazing replacement.
The other competitors had some similar issues and so far no one has been able to answer that question.

Hi Wally. Give me till Monday to contact the competition board to see what they say. One question was there a damage report filled out to document the damage?

Unfortunately no. I simply mentioned it to the other competitors in our conversations after the awards were given. The idea of making a damage report didn't occur to me.
Thanks for looking into this for me.

I contacted the Competition Board and they said any questions concerning the competition they should be contacted directly. The members are Linda Pujo (lpjuocpf@new.rr.com), Fred Horton (info@galeriesevern.com), or Linda Wassell (lindawassell@yahoo.com).

Please contact one of them immediately so the issues can be discussed and resolved.

I contacted the Competition Board and they said any questions concerning the competition they should be contacted directly. The members are Linda Pujo (lpjuocpf@new.rr.com), Fred Horton (info@galeriesevern.com), or Linda Wassell (lindawassell@yahoo.com).

Please contact one of them immediately so the issues can be discussed and resolved.

Once it's addressed and resolved could one of them post the answer here? I'm sure it would benefit other members as well.

The difficulty here is there was not damage report at the Chapter level. But for more information here is the section of the Guidelines that deal with damage.

3.4 Chapter Follow-Up and Damage Reports
Follow-up consists of filing the required Chapter Competition Reports (both PRINT and OPEN)
along with any Chapter Damage Reports in accordance with section 3.2, Chapter Responsibilities, paragraphs 8-12. These documents are necessary to maintain correct and accurate details of regional chapter competitions for later reference and verification (see 3.2). “Damage” shall be defined as anything broken, smashed, cracked, popped, or torn. It specifically refers to occurrences that appear
to be the result of careless handling, either during shipping or unpacking. Examples of officially recognized damage include missing bumpon, torn dust cover, popped frame corner, or broken glazing.
1. Chapter damage reports must be filed with the PPFA home office for any damaged entry slated for repair prior to the International competition.
2. Repairs are allowed only to correct actual damage as described above. No alterations from the original design shall be allowed.
3. If damage occurs between chapter competition and prior to shipping to the International finals, a formal Chapter Damage Report – not International Framing Competition Damage Report – shall be filed by the entrant with the PPFA home office. This must be accompanied by a full detailed explanation of the damage and proposed steps to repair said damage.
The Competition Board will advise the entrant if the repair request is in accordance with current Guidelines.

Hope this helps!

Hi All, Update to Deadline. Since the pieces will be shipped directly to Las Vegas this year and several competitions were held late it has been decided to Extend the Registration Deadline for the International Competition to Monday December 9. The registration forms are in the process of being updated so they may still have the old date on them But the DEADLINE IS NOW MONDAY DECEMBER 9.

Thanks and please pass the word among the competitors.

Glad that the deadline was extended. I put my entry in the mailbox here at work on Tuesday so it should have been there by Friday the 15th. Just checked my box and although the postman comes everyday he didn't collect it out of my box. So I will take it to the post office myself tomorrow.

In New Zealand there are two types of delivery for mail, namely urban and rural.
Farmers have to travel far to get to a postal office, so they can leave mail in their mailbox to be picked up by the postman. For this the mailboxes have a metal swiveling rod (like a flag).

If the rod is in the upright position, it means the postman has to pick up something instead of driving past. Next year or so, urban deliveries will be cut back to three days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) due to dropping demand for sending letters by snailmail.

Do you have these indicating rods on mailboxes in the US?

Kai, on residential mailboxes we do have that system. On the cluster mailbox here in my business center it is a little bit different as they do not have the red flag. We have a box (that in my case) has eight different individual boxes, however the post man open up a large door on the backside that gives him access to insert or pick up outgoing mail from all eight boxes. He stops by and opens that box everyday, so there is no reason for him not to have taken my letter.

John, You gotta love the Postal Service. They are good but yes we have issues also.

If you have a copy of the registration you could email or fax a copy of it to Nick and tell him you have put the paper copy in the mail so he will be on the look out. Just a thought.

Thanks for Entering!!!

Back