• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Cricket bat - rotates!

Ormond Williams MCPF

Lifetime PPFA Member
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Ormond's Framing
This cricket bat has signatures on the front and the back. There are 4 team signatures on the front and 3 team signatures on the back.
The customer wanted to be able to see both sides, so I placed a knob at the bottom of the shadow box, hiding behind the wide frame, which allows the bat to be rotated.
The job took much longer than anticipated! Grrrrrrr!

Cricket bat

Last edited:
Very Nice! How deep did that box have to be to rotate the bat?

Great!
Complicated jobs are always hard to quote an exact price for. It is usually the extra labor involved - not the materials.
Once these rotating objects become routine, the time spent will decrease. This will certainly bring in more customers who have seen this superb framing displayed at their friend's house.

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone.
First of all, I have to fess up that I have committed an unpardonable framing crime by inserting a small screw up into the bottom of the bat from inside the holding bracket.
I have located a nearby brick wall and have arranged with a shooter friend to be on standby to participate in the firing squad!

I took this extraordinary step because I could think of no other way, and logic says that there is no way that 7 entire teams can all write such tiny signatures on a wooden bat, in the first place, and in the second place, the ink wood not flow so perfectly on wood. Hence, I deduced that the signatures have been collated, reduced in size so that they are all similar and are on decals, cunningly stuck to the surface of the bat, whereupon a clear plastic sleeve is added to "protect them"!

The box on the back is 140mm deep and it fits inside the rebate of the frame, against the double mat and glass. L brackets with screws hold it in place.
The top end of the handle can rotate in and is supported by a PVC pipe joiner with 3 angle brackets bolted to it and screwed inside the top rail of the box.

Cross section of bottom bat mount.

Sincere apologies for the rushed, rough diagram!

I await your instructions for the date and time of the execution!

There must be a way to eliminate the screw in the bat.
Something reversible - putty perhaps?

Oh how I love that phrase "There must be a way..." Sorry, but it's too late!!! The screw is in the bat!

I did consider using black magic, Kai, but could not find my wand!

Could have used putty, could have used chewing gum, blue tack, plasticene, shoo goo, ATG tape, folded bits of cellotape, post it notes, treacle or spit, but the bat would have slipped out of it's holder and flopped around in the frame. I needed to avoid my customer whacking me on the head with the whole thing, so I chose a method that would in fact keep it in place and saved me some horrendous medical bills. If you wish to participate in the firing squad, please be here by the end of the week! Rifles will be supplied!

It will have to be an international firing squad. That is exactly what I would have done.

As a former furniture man, I can tell you that the tiny hole is a 30 second fix that would probably even pass muster on the Antiques Road Show.:smile-new:

Back