• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

What are some of the most fun, interesting, or ODD things that you have framed?

Funny!
I framed a chalkboard/ blackboard yesterday. Customer came in with a piece of mdf. I painted it black with a roller and proceeded to write the price of the framing order on the 'artwork' with chalk.
This must have been the only time I was able to write the price directly onto the artwork without the customer complaining.

Let's see...oddest...

-The cremated remains of the customers late husband...brought in two days after the funeral service.
-Three separate cremated remains of family dogs...all different customers.
-Two different suicide notes (different customers), both with corresponding lipstick imprints on a piece of mirror...very awkward.
-A plaster mold of a shoe print taken for a forensics class...complete with lots of dirt
-An un-broken block of tea...yeah that didn't shed much!

And coolest...

-5 sheets of un-cut Goudey bubble gum baseball cards from the '30's....only ones in the world.
-Original Rembrandt etching.
-Ted Williams original contract to play for the Red Sox.
-A full set of antique golf clubs, with the bag.

My days are rarely boring! :shocked:

So far, the most fun {i know improper grammar} project I did was a series of 9 of the original color illustration proofs from a high end illustrated reference book.

All were the same outside dimensions, so they can be in the same size frame, and all were triple mats, all rag. The items involved were very colorful, so I got to paint the middle bevel of each a different sets of variegated colors, complementing the illustrations.

The customer loved the mats and approved all of them before I moved onto the frame. He will not allow me to show any photos at this time.

He is hoping to have a different set sent to me by the end of 2014, and some final sets by the end of 2015.

Maybe I can show pictures in 2016?

Nasa astronauts commemorative pendent

Several years ago our friend and jeweler was the commissioned jeweler for the Nasa astronauts out of Houston. He would design a pendent for each space shuttle flight which would include a certificate designating the flight, date, number of rotations around the earth the flight took, the name of each astronaut on board and the name of the person that the pendent was designated for. A pendent was made for each astronaut on each flight and these pendents would take the flight with the astronauts. One year Alex, our jeweler friend, made an extra one for my husband and sent it with the astronauts. When it came back I framed it along with it's certificate designating it as my husband's with his name on it and date and which flight mission it flew on.

I once framed a brick from the steps of the US Capitol. The client was a congressman who snagged it when the stairs which lead to the Mall were refurbished. He also found a photo of the building of the Capitol and an article about the renovation of the stairs.

It was an L-shaped frame, with the brick resting on the base of the L and the photo and article in the vertical leg. Too bad I didn't think to take a picture of it. He has since been voted out of office... maybe for foolishly spending the gov'ts money this way?

Speaking of bricks, here's one from the childhood home of Johnny Cash...

Attachments

• Photo-Johnny Cash Birthplace Brick-LoRes.jpg
    Photo-Johnny Cash Birthplace Brick-LoRes.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 29
A lot of framers have the pleasure of framing unusual items and forget to take photographs of them, but not me. Here's a Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader uniform. I also framed a large pennant bearing the cheerleader's photo in a grouping with other items for the same customer, who happened to be the young lady's mother-in-law.

Stuff like this gets us up in the morning, eh?

Attachments

• Photo-BenGals Uniform-LoRes.jpg
    Photo-BenGals Uniform-LoRes.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
This is always a fun topic. Bumping up for a 2016 review. What are some of the most fun, interesting or just plain ODD things that you have framed during your career? :)

We're working on a full wool uniform from the Revolutionary War. Pictures when done. 3 originals of John Wayne Gacey the mass murderer while he was on death row. State portrait of Lenin larger than life. These are in the last year.

Back