• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Welcome to the new PPFA Framer's Corner Forum

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
Welcome!

There was much discussion about the need for a new forum, at the recent trade show conference. The PPFA Framer's Corner Committee has heard the suggestions and worked closely with the PPFA board, to enhance this valuable member resource. We are proud to introduce the new and improved PPFA Framer's Corner Forum.

We think that you will find this software extremely easy to use, while providing some great features.

• Members only discussion forums, away from the public eye.
  • Private messages between members
  • Social networking integration. ex: "LIKE" button links w/Facebook
  • RSS news feeds and a calendar for PPFA news and chapter press releases
  • Works with ALL popular web browsers, including a theme for smartphones
  • A sidebar that shows the newest posts and activity
  • Each member has a personal profile that they can customize
  • Photos/videos can be uploaded to your profile, or within posts
  • Members can create their own discussion groups or polls
  • One click access to see all new posts since your last visit
  • Reputation system, which lets others rank active participants

Those are just some of many features available in this new forum.

The first section of forums, marked FORUMS FOR ALL, can be read by anyone. The content of these forums is available to you as an RSS feed, and will also be indexed by the search engines. Non members have "read only" access to Announcements and Design Showcase, but can post in the Corner Classifieds section. Members have full access to post in all areas.

Forums for ALL:
-Announcements, Press Releases, Special Events - (RSS, PUBLIC READ ONLY for non members)
Chapter meeting announcements, press releases, upcoming trade shows, certification tests, PPFA national news, etc. Check here to see what is currently happening in the industry.
-Design Showcase - (RSS, PUBLIC READ ONLY for non members)
A place to share some of your favorite projects and designs. Thank you for not posting competition pieces prior to national judging, as this would cause disqualification.
-Corner Classifieds - (RSS, PUBLIC CAN POST HERE)

Industry related items for sale or trade, businesses for sale, offers from PPFA sponsors, and employment opportunities.

The second section of forums, marked FORUMS FOR PPFA MEMBERS, is available for PPFA Members only. These will be the most active forums, and are a benefit of membership. Pending a brief verification of your PPFA membership status, a moderator will enable you for full access to these areas.

Forums for PPFA MEMBERS ONLY:
-Framer's Help Line: Framing Questions
A warm open exchange of information. Discussion of difficult projects, mounting methods, current preservation practices, etc. Industry Experts and Knowledgeable Framers are here to help with your framing related questions.
-Marketing and Business Issues
Discussion of any and all business related issues, including marketing, social networking, pricing, advertising tips, insurance, employment issues, etc
-Tech Corner
Discussion and help regarding picture framing equipment, computer issues, POS software, CMC, SEO, shop lighting, phones, internet, alarms, security, cctv, compressors, etc.
-The Corner Cafe

Our general discussion and social hub. Friendly commentary, quotes, jokes, trade shows, interesting things that were framed, and discussion of topics unrelated to framing.
A great place to introduce yourself, if you are a newcomer to the forum!

There is also a third section of forums, which are reserved for PPFA Committees. These are private forums, and will not appear on the list until your committee chair has requested access for you. If you are on a special committee for PPFA, please request access directly from your committee chairperson.

Some "common sense" usage guidelines:

• Treat others as you’d like to be treated in person or correspondence. Please be respectful of your fellow framers. :)
  • Try to have patience with newbies learning the system.
  • Please do not post wholesale prices or markup multiplier discussions in the "FORUMS FOR ALL" (public) sections.
  • Try to be grammatically correct (spell check your messages!).
  • No vulgarity, obscenities, name calling, and public lashings.
  • Try to avoid posting rumors or “something I heard”
  • No messages are allowed to be in conflict with rules and guidelines of PPFA or PMA association membership.
  • Uploaded images must be appropriate to the topic
  • Signature lines should be reasonable in size, if used
  • Commercial posts and for sale ads are welcomed only in the CORNER CLASSIFIEDS section

We encourage you to "jump right in" and get started. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email the moderators at any time.

Best regards,
Your moderator team at PPFA Framer's Corner:
-Mike Labbe
-Jim Miller, MCPF
-Gregory K, Norris, CPF
-Sheila Pursglove
-Nick Shaver
-Elaine Truman
-Cliff Wilson, MCPF
-John Ranes, CPF, GCF

PS: If you are a non member, we hope that you will consider joining our industry's trade organization. You can find information at http://www.pmai.org/ppfacontent.aspx?id=20263

Last edited:
Just went to drop a plug on the Wisconsin Chapter PPFA FaceBook page, and see that it was already posted. I then checked the Central Texas Chapter and it wasn't so added a posting with the link.

When you do a "PPFA" search on FB, Central Texas doesn't come up as it does'nt BEGIN with PPFA. :wave:

John (Spreading the word....)

Central Texas Chapter PPFA FB Link

Mary Fender MCPF said:
Can you share the link here?

I've created a FB photo album with all the chapters I could find there. Not sure if I've got them.

Indeed... Central Texas Chapter PPFA

I just did a weekend program for them this Fall and they have a very good website as well...

John

P.S. Why does the North Central PPFA Chapter get two photos? :D

Thanks for that link John.

North Central have 2 different pages. I left them both up hoping I could find out which is current...

I haven't had a moment to investigate yet.

Question for the tech guys

Hi guys,
Is there a way to make the character width of the page wider? When I read other postings that might be longer the width is quite narrow and long, making it alot of scrolling. As I type this it looks normal but I know that it will turn into the long skinny column once I hit "submit reply." Is this a computer setting or FC setting? I know that I shouldn't compare to the "G" but the "G" comes in normal.
Susan

Hi Susan,

The editor is fluid, so paragraphs automatically adjust to the width (screen resolution settings) of the reader's computer. (providing you don't hit enter at the end of each line). This way it will scale well on older computers that have a setting such as 1020x768, modern computers with wide screen settings in the neighborhood of 1920x1080, or even tablets and smartphones that have lower resolutions (IOS, Android, etc)

(on my screen, the above paragraph fits within 2 1/2 lines)

Do you have the web browser window set to full size/maximized? Do you know what resolution your computer is set to display?

The first and last posts in each thread also have a PPFA banner, which eats up some of the available space.

Does this answer your question/concern?

Mike

Greg had a great point, too! If you have changed the default style, for example, to LARGE PRINT.... it will adjust and fit fewer words per line.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I am on PPFA default, under style. For the paragraph that you mentioned I was 11 lines for your 2 1/2. It does help just a little to maximize the screen.
When I view the "G" everything is normal width it's just on this forum. Everything is set up so perfectly (it's my 1 year old Wizard computer) so I hate to mess with it. I'll try it at home to if it looks different, then I'll know what the issue is.:mmph:

Alright

It might be a case where the screen resolution setting could be bumped up a bit on that PC. It may also improve the area you have to work with, when designing things in Mat Designer.

Trying the forum from another machine (POS/front counter workstation, home PC, etc) will probably show a difference. I suspect that the resolution on the CMC pc is set to 800x600 or 1024x768.

Mike

Mike, The paragraph you referenced for Susan is 7.5 lines on my laptop set on the PPFA default setting. I think the banners on the right shorten the lines in comparison to what we are used to seeing on the G.

When I am typing in a post, however, the text on the screen is wider, i.e. the lines are longer. So I think this is what Susan is seeing.

I just had a look at the G and text goes all the way to the right of the screen because there are no banners and no "recent posts." I don't know if this is a real problem in terms of reading the forum or if it is just because it is not behaving as Susan expects it to.

I haven't checked my screen resolution and I haven't tried any of the other styles except the large print which I usually use cause my eyes are old though my heart is young.:smile:

Mike, I just checked, the mobile version makes the lines longer more like the G.

My resolution is set at 768 x 1366

Last edited:
...Just following up on this: (we didn't forget!)

I fired up a retired windows 98 machine today, and tried the forum at 1024x768 with Internet Explorer 6.0 and FireFox 2.0 I see exactly what you meant. (the same behavior would be seen on an XP or Win7 machine at 1024x768)

We made some adjustments/re-programming today, which should make the forum look better for tablets and computers that have 1024x768 or lower resolution. Posts should now fill the width of the screen, rather than just half of it.

The PPFA banner ad had to be re-located from within the last post, to just below the list of threads. Eventually, this will be moved BETWEEN posts - rather than within the body of the last post.

Please let us know if it looks better.

Best regards,
Mike Labbe
FC Mod team

Back