• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

CPF Test - insight from those who have taken it?

Andrew Lenz Jr.

Frequent Poster
Company
Lenz Arts, Inc.
So, with me taking the CPF test (finally) in 2013, I'm curious, of those who have taken the test, what was something that wish you knew in advance but didn't?

I'm not too worried about passing, but could still use any tips!

Andrew

When they say you can use a calculator, what they really mean is you NEED a calculator.

I wasted silly time multiplying and dividing, 'cause I thought, aw, I don't need a calculator.

Calculators, when I took the test, we weren't even allowed to take off our shoes so we could use our toes.......:)

For many, it has been a long time since taking a formalized test.

While taking the test, I recommend going through the test and answering the questions you immediately know the answer to. For those that you need to come back to, put a check mark or something you will recognize as needing more thought and move on. When you get to the end of the test, go back to the beginning. Surprisingly, you may find that the answer you are seeking has been "refreshed" by another question, or you will be more used to the types of questions and the second go will be easier. As you answer the questions you skipped, if using a "check mark" the first time, make it an "x" so you know you have answered the question and go through to the end. Repeat until you get to questions you just can't answer. Then go by process of elimination. Out of 4 possible answers, eliminate the ones you know are not correct and focus on the remaining answer to choose the best possible answer.

Remember to ask yourself, what is the answer the CPF committee may be looking for, not necessarily the one you personally feel is correct......it is their football :)

Also, read the questions carefully. Are dimensions frame ID or OD? If a photo is involved and the dimensions are 8 x 10, when calculating mat dimensions in determining frame size, remember that "overlap" may be required to determine frame size.

Remember the formula to determine how many feet of moulding are required to build a frame. For a rectangle, it is (2xL + 2xW + (8 x width of moulding)) divided by 12

Breathe! The test is not a race to see who finished first and there is no shame using as much time as necessary to complete the test to the best of your ability. Do NOT be intimidated by others who may finish before you.

I'm not too worried about passing...
That could be your downfall, Andrew.

Seriously, about 40% of CPF candidates taking the exam for the first time are unsuccessful. It's not that the exam is all that difficult, but experienced framers too often assume that their years of framing experience would prepare them for the exam. No. the content of the CPF exam is just about everything one would not learn by years of seat-of-the-pants framing experience.

If you have ever wondered why some experienced framers seem resentful of framing credentials, understand that sometime in the past, a good number of them took the CPF exam without adequate study and failed. For an experienced, confident framer, failing the CPF exam can be a humbling experience, and it leaves some of them bitter. On the other hand, those who decide to study seriously, regardless of their years of experience, and then retake the exam a second time usually succeed.

I decided to take the exam in 1989 with barely the minimum of framing experience to qualify, so I studied very carefully everything about framing that I could get my hands on. The references in the Study Guide were most helpful, of course, but I found that all of those books by Paul Frederick and Vivian Kistler contained important background information for a relatively-novice framer like I was at the time. I breezed through it with a passing score because I was prepared.

You can, too. But ya gotta study!

Jim, thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried about about passing for four reasons:

1) I plan on throughly reading all the suggested books (in some cases, it's rereading);

2) I've always been very good at taking tests (93rd percentile SAT, for instance);

3) I've been framing for 30 years---not that that means much, one can be a rotten framer for 30 years, but I like to believe that I haven't had my head in the sand with regard to best practices. And I'm not going to have any problems with the math, that's for sure!

4) I am bribing the test grader to give me 100%.

:)
Andrew

One of my in-laws was born in Indonesia. This country is famous for its bribery. For example school-leavers who want to go to university have to have good marks, but children from rich parents pay the officials at a university a sum of money, so that their child with low grades can enter university. This child then becomes a doctor thanks to more bribes and starts to practice on patients.

One of my in-laws was born in Indonesia. This country is famous for its bribery. For example school-leavers who want to go to university have to have good marks, but children from rich parents pay the officials at a university a sum of money, so that their child with low grades can enter university. This child then becomes a doctor thanks to more bribes and starts to practice on patients.

Cool story, bro.

But back to Andrew's question, bribes won't work. The completed answer sheets are sealed in an envelope once the exam is over and sent to PPFA headquarters for scoring. The proctor has no role in it.

And yes, I do realize Andrew was kidding.

You have to read ALL the recommended books even the basic framing ones. Pay attention to modern printmaking methods. Pay attention to storage and handling of all varieties of media you handle in frame shops. Make sure your using up to date information too.

Things are always harder than you think, I have seen a few good framers fail the test.

All of the test questions come from the suggested reading material, so read, read, read. Do the practice questions and understand the answers. If somebody else takes the test and finishes in one hour, don't stress about taking the allotted time. Check your answers and make sure that they are aligned on the computer sheet. Thank the nice volunteer (if you take it at a PPFA location) for taking the time to give you the test. :smile-new:
Susan

If somebody else takes the test and finishes in one hour, don't stress about taking the allotted time...
That brought me a smile. I have proctored the CPF exam several times. Talk about stress! I have seen the wringing of hands, the sweaty brows, the fidgeting fingers of many who are obviously nervous about taking that timed test. It can be intimidating. Stress is normal. The best advice is to remain calm; pace yourself; don't spend too much time on any particular questions, but plan to go back to the tough ones. Just do the best you can.

When someone finishes in an hour, that usually means they didn't have clue and just guessed at most of the answers. Of course, the scoring is done by machine, so there's no way for the proctor to know any candidate's level of competence, but sometimes they comment on their desperation when they turn in their answer sheets.

Most CPF candidates take nearly all the allotted time to check their answers, which is a good idea, even for those who are most knowledgeable and comfortable taking the test.

If it's any consolation, taking the MCPF exam is even more stressful and intimidating than taking the CPF exam, because you not only have to think fast, but you have to also work fast to build a frame with unfamiliar tools and equipment in an unfamiliar shop. The volunteer MCPF exam proctors often become stress counselors.

If it's any consolation, taking the MCPF exam is even more stressful and intimidating than taking the CPF exam, because you not only have to think fast, but you have to also work fast to build a frame with unfamiliar tools and equipment in an unfamiliar shop. The volunteer MCPF exam proctors often become stress counselors.
Ain't that the truth! It was the most stressful period of time in my life then and still is. I'm not doing that again! But.....it was worth it...every second of that stress was worth it.

At 15 minutes to go, I thought I had no chance of finishing, but got it all done.....the most important tip I can think to offer is to get it all done. Finish the job completely! Any steps left unfinished will score 0/100.

... the MCPF exam is even more stressful and intimidating than taking the CPF exam, because you not only have to think fast, but you have to also work fast to build a frame with unfamiliar tools and equipment in an unfamiliar shop.

Like those cooking shows on T.V. :)

The unfamiliar tools thing is what scares me about the MCPF test. On the other hand, it could be an opportunity to learn something about different equipment: "Hmmm. I should have bought one of these for my shop. It works far better than I expected!"

Andrew

Hmmm. Not so much fun. I've been a bit spoiled. We have some nice equipment around here.

Is a "host shop" for the MCPF allowed to give advice on how to use some obscure piece of equipment? It'd be problematic to be spending time reading manuals!

Andrew

Hmmm. Not so much fun. I've been a bit spoiled. We have some nice equipment around here.

Is a "host shop" for the MCPF allowed to give advice on how to use some obscure piece of equipment? It'd be problematic to be spending time reading manuals!

Andrew

You have time (20 - 30 min as I recall) to familiarize yourself with the equipment before you begin.
At least when I did it, there was someone there to answer questions during the familiarize-yourself period.

uhh, make sure you ask where the "on switch" is for things like saws.
It can waste a lot of time looking for a switch, if you don't know where it is on a specially wired double mitre saw.
Time you don't have with some nuisance saying "xx minutes left." grrr

please don't ask why I know that.

When I took the MCPF the host shop was very gracious in showing us around. All of the equipment was shown, and we even had time to try it out. When I took it, a candidate could bring their own tools if wanted. I was lucky to be able to drive to the site and not have to take a plane. The place was in a warehouse and we could have used roller skates to get from place to place. To save time, I jogged from one section of the building to the other. I used every minute, not finishing a second ahead of time. I doubt that it will ever be held in such a large facility.
Susan

When sitting a framing exam it helps to spend a night sleeping in the same town as where the exam is held, instead of stepping straight out of the plane and into a taxi. You feel more relaxed, can go for a walk early in the morning without getting lost.

I had a list of recommended books and chapters of those books to read, but while I prepared for the CPF exam and studied all the books, I was unaware that two of those books had been withdrawn from the list. I do not know, if studying those two books was a complete waste of time, but that is how it was in my case.

Is a "host shop" for the MCPF allowed to give advice on how to use some obscure piece of equipment?
"...some obscure piece of equipment" is not likely to be found in an MCPF exam shop. In the selection process for exam locations, the range of available tools and equipment is carefully considered, and candidates have always been invited to bring their own tools if they wish. PPFA tries hard to schedule the MCPF exams in shops that have standard equipment in good condition. The proctors who administer the exam are expected to inspect, use, and if necessary, adjust all of the equipment just prior to the exams.

If a framer is unable to adapt to any popular brand of conventional equipment, could that framer be considered a "master"? Presumably, a Master Certified Picture Framer would have at least a pasing acquaintance with a broad range of framing tools ad equipment.

An MCPF candidate's exam work is not compared to another's. All are evaluated against the exam's established standards.

Back