• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Shadowbox with a Shadow

Cliff Wilson MCPF

Frequent Poster
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Framed In Tatnuck
OK, it's really a reflection.
Customer wanted to see all sides of the figurine, but also wanted the vases included.
I needed to secure the vases at the neck because there was no lip at the bottom, so I couldn't put mirror over the whole back.
Figurine is held to the base with bend rods.

Attachments

• Japanese Porcelian.jpg
    Japanese Porcelian.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 107
The mirror actually sits in a coroplast sink. Even though the mat was reverse beveled the bevels had to be gold colored because the white bevels were very distracting in the mirror.

The proportions look a little off in the picture, like there is too much space above, but when I tried bringing the frame down it looks way too cramped? Almost like you were afraid the figure would stand up and hit her head or something.

marevelous!
When framing a ball with a signature on the back and reflected by a mirror, the sinature will appear in mirror-image. You probably figured this out already when explaining it to the customer. There is no other way around this problem I think.
Kai,
I'm really quite fortunate that I'm not framing a ball, because signed bats are quite different to signed balls when viewed in a mirror! The "mendacious ebullient" effect takes effect in the presence of cricket bats and instantly mirror reverses the mirror reversed writing, making it readable! The only catch is that the writing appears in 'Sanskrit' language, which is now a dead language, which very few people can read!

Try it out for yourself!

:madgrin:

The more I read your text Ormond, the more confused I get. I am trying to get my head around this ball, while inside it is spinning. I have read it five times and come to the conclusion, that sowing confusion was all you were aiming at and you succeeded.

Talking about spinning. Cliff, instead of using the mirror, you could have placed the statue on a tiny turntable, so that it swings around. Have an electric motor underneath. Make it spin fast and slow, opposite direction. All by remote control.
You can do the same with your baseball-bat Ormond.

Beautiful work, Cliff. Love the frame. Is it two frames stacked or one?

Kai, Maybe it's my Aussie connection,but I'm not having any trouble understanding Ormond.
I was looking for you at the Framing Show in Melbourne. Did you make it over?

Beautiful work, Cliff. Love the frame. Is it two frames stacked or one?

Kai, Maybe it's my Aussie connection,but I'm not having any trouble understanding Ormond.
I was looking for you at the Framing Show in Melbourne. Did you make it over?

It's a single Larson frame.

Cliff, do those small pedestals at the bottom help secure the bottom of the vases?

Kai, is it true that the pedestal would rotate in the opposite direction on your side of the world?:shame: A key-wound movement might make for a nice rotating display. But I really like that mirror in this case.

Back