• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Old Saw Blades

There used to be quite a business in the mall with saw blades that had been painted, usually with primitive art. They also make great workshop clock faces....but there is limited demand and you can only have so many clocks in your workshop. Might make a nice display sample.

Carbide tips can be replaced on some blades, essentially rebuilding them. This may have gone the way of the carburetor and the Do Do, but last time I had some sharpened the local guy was rebuilding them. I would ask one of the guys at Quinn Saw or Forrest.

The 3 Rs come into play here too.

R1 - Reduce. Buy high quality blades and have them sharpened by a good shop, to get maximum life out of the original blade.
R2 - Reuse. Good quality blades, if well maintained (not overheated from running dull, properly sharpened) can generally be re-tipped. I think there is plenty of demand for blades to be decoratively painted - I've even seen painted "blades" that were never actual blades, just a stamped piece of "sheet metal" in the shape of a saw. But you have to find that person looking for them.
R3 - Recycle. It really is a last resort. Recycling, while far better than landfilling, is still generally the most expensive way to treat waste.

TBH, we recycle our old tooling. There is a cost to using other avenues, and we have just not bothered. I figure recycling is better than nothing, which is probably what we do if we didn't recycle.

Back