• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Nothing exceptional - just simple and fun

Russ Wood

Frequent Poster
Company
Grey Owl Framing
William Henry Jackson Antique photochrom print. The owner is a used book dealer, and has had 9 William Henry Jackson photochrom prints for about 25 years. He decided to have them all framed. This particular one is a Crow Indian. He may keep them for his own collection, or he may have them displayed for sale.

All the mats are museum rag and there are 2 painted variegated bevels; the bottom is on a 4-ply and the top is an 8-ply as a bevel extension. The frame is a Studio burl.

Fun to do! I normally have a more bold variegation, but for this one I had to make the variegation a little more fine because of the detail of the photochrom.

Crow-001-IMG_0669-crop-low.jpg

I like. The uncluttered frame design is perfect for the mood of the art.

C'mon, Russ. Ya gotta tell us how you decorated the bevels.

Russ, this is lovely.

Frame, mats, bevels, ...just peaceful. And a gentle lesson to me. I can be intense (recently called "a fire hose of enthusiasm" which is both a compliment to me, and a request for valium from my GP :shame:). Such quiet, profound, work does give such pause. As I tend to make bold statements with framing, this one example of yours makes me ponder things anew.

A pleasure sir.

Beautiful job. I love the way the bevels work with the frame, and the two different thicknesses. That treatment is just what the art needs. Bravo.
:cool: Rick

First, thank you all for your wonderful comments.

I have been out of town for a wedding, then I was swamped with business, and taking Janet and my parents to doctor appointments, then customers even on Sundays. Great to be busy.

I apologize for not answering your questions on how I did the bevels sooner. As many of you know I love doing all kinds of specialty bevels and I have been playing around with different ideas over the years.

With one of my corporate clients I have been doing a set of 15 to 20 matted photos each year of their corporate retreat (no frames, just mats). And each year, the mats must be the same basic design, except different mat colors can be used as appropriate, and each year I get to decide what to do. However each year, the basic design must be different, so they can more easily remember which year it was. This approach helped me investigate different mat design ideas.

This particular one "The Crow" is from a collection of Henry Jackson photos I framed for a used book seller. He had me do 9 of them, all from around 1900, and the colors of all of the painted bevels were slightly different, depending on the colors in the photo-chrome. "The Crow" has a bottom window mat of a Crescent Museum Solid rag 4-ply mat. The bevel is painted with an acrylic base, then 2 to 4 additional colors are brushed, blotted, sponged, or stroked on at separate times.

At the same time I also paint 8-ply bevels with the same base and colors on four pre-cut strips of Crescent Museum Rag Solid 8-ply mat board. These are generally from fall-outs or off cuts of various 8-ply mats I have used in the past, or some I stock; exact mat base color of these are generally not important because only the 8-ply bevel will show. I then apply the 8-ply under the top mat, in pinwheel fashion. On the first pass for this one, the various lines of color from the brush strokes were two wide for the delicate lines in the photo, so I had to redo the process to come up with a different way of brushing for finer lines. The time for doing complete mat package, from pulling the mats to size the boards, cutting the windows, doing the bevels, mounting in a sink mat, booking and placing in a storage envelope, and clean up takes less than an hour. The time for painting both sets of bevels, with 1 base coat and 4 additional accent colors, including set up and clean up is less than 30 minutes.

The customer liked my work well enough, that he brought in 10 "trade cards" he is trying to sell; he just wants me to mat these, no hurry, so he has a better chance of selling them.

The two different painted bevel mats works on some art, but for many, a single painted bevel - 4 or 8 ply - works better.

Very nice article about you and your business in FMO. How long have you had the ponytail Russ?

Thank you Kai.

I have had to wear a white shirt, tie and jacket for work, since I first started working, more than 50 years ago. The exception was when I was in the army (Korea and Presidio). Also for the 1 month after I got out of the military, I wanted to be a hippy, and I grew a beard that was red and gray, until I needed to get a job to eat, and go back to school. So back to white shirts and ties and jackets.

About 20 years ago they started letting us wear non-white shirts, in plain colors, but still ties and suits, even when riding on airplanes.

So when I started my company several years ago I went back to my hippy days and let my hair grow out. So maybe 7 years now. Also, I don't wear ties, except to weddings.

Ditto! Love the painted panel, good work! What medium do you use?

There are two painted bevels, and both are painted with acrylic.

The 4-ply is on a rag mat, which I used removable tape before painting.

The 8-ply is actually 8-ply rag strips that are attached to the top mat in pin-wheel fashion, after I painted. Because they are strips, didn't have to use the removable tape on them.

Customer loved all of the work, and paid in cash!

Since then I have done an additional 10 for him, but alas, the last 10 are just matted items, without the glass and frames.

Back