• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.
Picture Framing Magazine

Larson Gummed Tape - If you took Hugh's Light Hinging Class (or not)

Cliff Wilson MCPF

Frequent Poster
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Framed In Tatnuck
In Hugh Phibb's Light Hinging class the tape from Larson was mentioned.
I talked about it in another thread, but promised I would post the part number.

Here it is: Part # SUAFTP7418

Larson has available out of their Chicago warehouse a "tape" that they are importing from the company Conservation by Design that they bought in the UK.

When I bought it a roll of 300 feet was under $12.

It is an allpha cellulose base with starch paste.

From the website : http://www.conservation-by-design.co...mno=SUAFTP7418

SpecificationsPaper:

• 90gsm
  • Acid-free and Lignin-free,
  • Buffered with calcium carbonate,
  • pH7.5to8.5

Adhesive:

• Acid-free Water Activated Starch Adhesive
  • pH7.5
  • Passed the P.A.T. (Photographic Activity Test)

FATG level – Conservation

I have been using it for a bit now on "decorative" stuff. I find the paper a bit thick and the edges a bit sharp, but that can be somewhat fixed with tearing. The adhesive seems to be everything they say it is (n't) and I think it is a reasonable alternative for photos, inkjet prints, and things you need to do quickly and easily.

Randy Parrish CPF

Frequent Poster
Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Parrish Fine Framing
Looks like a good alternative than Lineco's Hyaku which I had used for basic hinges, until Rebecca's claim that it turns brown and it's inconsistent ability to work.

Cliff Wilson MCPF

Frequent Poster
Company
Framed In Tatnuck
Looks like a good alternative than Lineco's Hyaku which I had used for basic hinges, until Rebecca's claim that it turns brown and it's inconsistent ability to work.
The substrate is heavier, so you have to be a little careful about the art embossing.
Other than that, it is a great alternative to the Hayaku.
Much less money too!

Kai Vanuffelen

Frequent Poster
Feilding 4702, Manawatu, North Island, New Zealand
Company
Kai Vanuffelen Pictureframer
Sniffing unseal? I try not to breathe that stuff as it kills much needed braincells.
Whenever I have a cloth that smells of unseal or similar solvent, I lay it in front of an open window so the smell flows out the building.

I never understood why some people sniff petrol to get a high.

Wally Fay CPF

Registered
Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Sunshine Frames
Cliff, was that the product with the methyl cellulose? Hugh was talking quite a bit about methyl cellulose in both his hinging classes that included making your own pre-coated hinging materials. I had to leave the last half of the hinging light items class, so I was wondering if this was something I missed.

Cliff Wilson MCPF

Frequent Poster
Company
Framed In Tatnuck
Cliff, was that the product with the methyl cellulose? Hugh was talking quite a bit about methyl cellulose in both his hinging classes that included making your own pre-coated hinging materials. I had to leave the last half of the hinging light items class, so I was wondering if this was something I missed.
No. This is a starch based product.
Hugh was talking about making your own "equivalent" of this with MC.

Rick Granick

Frequent Poster
Company
FrameWorks
I have been using it for a bit now on "decorative" stuff. I find the paper a bit thick and the edges a bit sharp, but that can be somewhat fixed with tearing. The adhesive seems to be everything they say it is (n't) and I think it is a reasonable alternative for photos, inkjet prints, and things you need to do quickly and easily.

Yes, I got a roll when you first mentioned it. I like it for the kinds of uses you mentioned, but I wish they would make one a little lighter weight that "feathers" as well as the Hyaku when you tear it.
:cool: Rick

Welcome to Framers Corner
Welcome to Framers Corner