• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Just Got Our First

Les Martin. MCPF

Frequent Poster
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Martin's Gallery, LLC Est
Just received our first Digital Frame repair call. Customer can't seem to get a picture on their digital picture frame unit and wanted to know if we fix them? Smart a _ _ answer was sooo very tempting. Any one else in the digital frame reframing business?

Well, I would have said "bring it in, we'll see what we can do." Sometimes these things are a simple fix. Kind of like the TV repairman who used to ask for a glass of water so he could clean the screen!

And if there really is something wrong with it, selling a new one in a custom frame becomes a possibility.

I remember in 1999, the last year I attended a Decor Atlanta show, these things were the "hot" new item. There were a half a dozen vendors with them. They all insisted it was the future of framing and we would all be millionaires from framing these things. I bit big time. The only problem was that when I contacted each of the vendors--by letter & phone, not much internet yet--none of them actually had any to sell. It wasn't long until they were in every Radio Shack and discount store out there.

I was truly blessed that this went the way it did.

Most of those probably have florescent back lit screens rather than the newer LED back lighting.

LED devices with the older technology have a limited life, in comparison. I have seen over a dozen older LCD monitors die, after about 8 years of daily use. They may start to flicker, may turn off after a while, or may have a purple tint at the top and/or bottom of the screen. You can usually shine a flash light, when the device is on, to see the image is actually there. (even though it appears to be dark/off).

The newer LED stuff should last many times longer, using very little power, and will be much brighter.

The same advice applies to computer monitors, flat panel tv's, etc. LED is the way to go :)

In the case of what the customer has, I think those are meant to be disposable. Hopefully the images are on a flash drive and can be recovered.

Mike

PS: It could also be the external power supply, if it was hit by a power surge.
PPS: This answer was probably more than you wanted to know. :) They should have framed it properly to begin with :)

PPS: This answer was probably more than you wanted to know. :) They should have framed it properly to begin with :)

Mike, I never find the information you share more than what I wanted to know. You are generous with your techno-type help. We (PPFA members) are so fortunate to have you to around and willing to help. Thanks!

Back