• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Jigsaw Puzzles

Nice!

Got some questions for you:

Were they glued?
Did you drymount?
Did you use glazing?

Would love to see more photos of puzzles people are framing. I know there are some very intricate ones out there.

One puzzle was glued down by the owner. They seem to have dumped the whole bottle and just spread it around. What a mess. The key seems to be using a coat of "Pod Podge" over the front and backside of the puzzle. Due to the liquid covering, dry mounting (even at low temp) tends to scare me. We have found a great method is to place the puzzle on "Perfect Mount" and put under glass weight for at least twenty-four hours. If the client does not want a mat to cover the project, we use spacers to keep the puzzle away from the glass. Several clients have had us mat the puzzle with acid-free mat boards, then install conservation clear or Museum GlassIMG_0685.jpg
This puzzle was framed with a beautiful frame from The Chester Fame Company.

One more puzzle to show. Not a square, not a rectangle but a round beauty. The puzzle has a double mat with a 3/16" spacer between mats for added depth. The bottom mat and moulding use the brushed gold look which we thought would match well with the theme of the puzzle.

jigsaw barb (2).jpg

I have a 54 x 76 puzzle, that already has the mod-podge coating on it, to be framed. I was not planing to use any glazing because of the size. What glue & substrate would you suggest?

Hi Donna,

If it already has mod podge I would do something like perfect mount board or Gudy and stick it to a board. I would weight it to be sure the piece adheres well. If you do use glazing you will have to space it away from the face of the puzzle. Others may have another suggestion.

Robin

I'm looking at this post and know it's old. It's been a while since I've framed a jigsw. I'm not at all familiar with "mod podge". What is that and how do you use it?

Mod Podge is a surface coating used to hold things together or provide a texture. It can be purchased at most craft stores and even Walmart. Some people will use it to hold a puzzle together.

I'm looking at this post and know it's old. It's been a while since I've framed a jigsw. I'm not at all familiar with "mod podge". What is that and how do you use it?
Mod Podge is a product from the '60's, used originally to decoupage paper items to another object. It's basically glorified Elmer's. We recommend it for puzzles - pour it on and scrape it around with a cardboard squeegee. Both sides. Never take an unglued puzzle unless you like puzzling! Puzzles can be dry mounted, 180* for 5 minutes, under release paper. That's nice if using a mat as it tends to sink into the foam core a bit and no sink/donut is needed under the mat.

I guess I need to work on my search techniques; I don't remember seeing all this advice when I needed it. My simple solution to mounting a jigsaw puzzle was to "glue" the puzzle to a piece of Sintra with soft gel acrylic medium and attach a hexagonal wooden mounting bracket to the back with Liquid Nails. The customer was happy. I give more details (and pictures) in our blog (www.beehappygraphics.com/blog/2024/my-solution-to-a-puzzle-project/).

Back