• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Framer Survey: What days of the week are you usually open for business?

Which days of the week is your shop normally open? (check any)

• None/Does Not Apply

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Sunday

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Monday

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Thursday

• Friday

• Saturday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
Which days are you normally open for business? (most of the year)

A friendly framer survey and discussion.

A category for Seasonally adjusted hours might have been appropriate...

We are Open on Sundays, but only in November and December.

John

I purposely worded it to be for "usual" times, vs special seasons etc. If a shop is by appt only, they can still answer by saying which days they'll schedule appointments :)

This is just basically just for fun and discussion. The main curiosity is how many still closed Sundays and/or Mondays.

Thanks to all for participating! We can make other polls like this in the future, if you have ideas.

Without any "hard data" I still would say that there are a lot more people open on Monday than there were 20 years ago.

We still get a lot of orders on Monday (usually in the AM) from places that are "closed" on Monday. Apparently, some small business owners work on their days off.

Six days a week, closed Sunday.
By appointment at off hours if necessary.

We also do corporate installations in AZ and Nevada.
The Nevada installations (got another one in Las Vegas coming up right after Thanksgiving..:shocked:) require overnight stay and I have to board my 2 dogs.
I've been to Las Vegas and Reno about 7 times now for business.
No gambling or drinking, Just working....:rant::thumb:

Without any "hard data" I still would say that there are a lot more people open on Monday than there were 20 years ago.

We still get a lot of orders on Monday (usually in the AM) from places that are "closed" on Monday. Apparently, some small business owners work on their days off.

Some also work outside the posted daily hours. Mondays are reserved for ordering, errands, etc. As much as I would like to take Mondays off (as posted on the door) I can't just hang around the house as my wife works from there and needs relative quiet.

Jerry's business model is sounding better every day.

Re-reading this, I see I may not have been entirely clear. I was making two entirely unrelated points.

1. A lot more more places seem to be open on Monday than used to be (6 days a week, closed Sunday, rather than what seemed to be the Old Standard of 5 days a week, closed Sun-Mon).
2. A lot of the places that are closed Monday are still working, placing orders, etc.

I Have always been open M-Sat. In a weird reversal, most of the downtown stores have started closing Sun & Mon. This is also kinda dumb since there is a relatively new development adjacent to the downtown that is open early til late 7 days a week. What used to be the center of town is now a ghost town most days. How many times can they expect folks to trek three or four blocks from parking only to discover the destination businesses closed on Mondays? IMHO it is killing the area.

I am just west of the CBD, so I have always been a destination. Lately, especially younger people seem to be surprised that we are there on Monday and stay til at least 6.

You mean "puts you to work on the honey-do list" right?

She would, but her job as a medical transcriptionist requires a great deal of concentration. When she was in the office with the other transcribers, there were no office phones, all cells had to be turned to silent, and only headphones/earbuds if you wanted to listen to music. All conversation was in hushed tones and moved to a conference room if it was more than a few sentences. Some of them even wore sound deadening headphones.
So hanging out at home being quiet is OK, but I would rather be active. Besides, I tend to mutter and swear when working on home projects which would be a distraction, and one of the parrots has already picked up on it...

We had our second Grandchild last November and next year is our 40th business anniversary so I thought I would "semi- retire" and close Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I knew Grandmaw was going to spend more time with the Grandkids so why not? I still work 6 days a week, just not open and the customers numbers have stayed the same. Grandmaw is happy and that's all that matters.

If you haven't had a chance yet, there's still time to participate in the survey and the discussion.

Thanks for being part of Framer's Corner!

It's slightly amazing to me how many people are open on Saturday. I understand, it makes "sense". But if you ask 100 of your friends, how many of them work Saturday?

Growing up, my Dad worked in a retail store, and had Tuesday off, worked Saturday. So it was sorta "normal" for me to not have Dad home all weekend. But as an adult, looking at people/families I know, I realize that there is a cost to that.

My son-in-law works Saturday, but my daughter works Mon-Fri. I don't see that "hurting" their relationship, but I also see a potential for it not being a strengthening situation.

My son works all sorts of weird hours, that change every few months (he's a police officer, and even in Vermont you want police on duty 24/7). At this point he's just on his own, but I'm concerned what that would/will do to family life if/when that happens.

A couple years ago I spent about half of my time in the hospital over the course of about 6 months, and came to really appreciate all the people working at every minute of the day to keep the patients comfortable and happy as you can be in a hospital.

Our shop works Mon-Fri and I am thankful that our guys can have relatively "normal" schedules/lives, but do recognize it's something to be thankful for. Don't take it for granted.

So after all that rambling, I guess what I want to say is "Kudos to framers who give up their Saturdays".

I'm open 7 days a week from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm by appointment only. If I don't want to be open a day or 2 then I just don't make appointments for those days - same goes for certain hours.

I have worked six days a week for over 40 years. I don't really want to retire for at least 5 more years, so I decided to just slow down a little.
My hours have always been 10-6 Mon-Fri and 10-4 Sat. Starting after the holidays, I'm going to be closed on Mondays. I may go in sometimes to get a little work done in the back, place order, or what have you. But I don't want to have to be there. Real 2-day weekends will be nice. We like to go on little long-weekend type jaunts now-and-then, so this will make it easier. Plus I can schedule haircuts, doctor appts, etc. on Mondays.
I'm a one-man show at this point, and it's going to stay that way from here on out. "Been there, done that" with employees.
:cool: Rick

Back