• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Blast off!

Andy Langlois CPF

Active Participant
Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Get The Picture
As framers, the one thing we all strive to do is avoid having the frame design become more important than the art. Sometimes, though, the frame designs makes the art more than it would be normally. Such is the case for this spaceship design I just completed this morning. The space scene is an image that I made in PhotoShop when I was using a variety of tutorials to learn how to use the program. I printed the picture close to 7 years ago, and never did anything with it. While cleaning up the workshop, I discovered it on a shelf gathering dust, and decided it was time to do something with it. By itself, it's just a meh image, so I opted to set it in a scene. I designed the cockpit mat on the Wizard, adding some images off the internet to make my speedometer, buttons, and fuel gauge. The gauges all have a piece of mylar plastic over them to look like glass, just for an added touch. When it came time to choose a frame, I asked for suggestions from my FaceBook friends. One of the favorite suggestions was the steampunk design from Direct Moulding, but as the art was more space themed, it didn't seem to fit what I was looking for. I had decided on a weathered metal profile from Fotiou, but that turned out to be discontinued. MAX Moulding's rusted metal line was a close contender, but I felt the profile was a bit bulky. What to do, what to do?

Well, as I often do when faced with this dilemma, I opted to create the frame myself. I cut a frame out of a 2" wide satin black moulding that we had some small scraps left and joined the frame. The face was sanded to roughen it up for the next stages. A couple coats of Modpodge were brushed on to seal and give a base coat to glue to. Each "plate" was cut from some scraps of rag mat board, sanding the edges that would butt up against the next plate, so that there would be a definite line between the pieces. The entire frame was covered with these plates, adhered in place with Modpodge one by one like a puzzle. Once the frame was completely covered, three coats of Modpodge were brushed on to seal the matboard pieces. A rough bristle paint brush was used to give the frame some texture. Circles and squares were cut on the Wizard, and glued in random places to give the surface some interest. A few 3/8" screws were added to the face and sides of the frame for a little extra detail. Then came the most excruciating part, adding the rivets. Each "rivet" was added by dimpling the surface of the frame with a dead ball point pen. The frame was then painted with three coats of a silver and blue mix of acrylic paint to blend everything together and give that metal look needed. Once dry, a stain of thinned black acrylic was brushed on, allowed to settle into the lines and rivet details, and left to dry. Finally, the same mix of silver and blue paint was drybrushed across the surface to highlight the raised details, returning the metallic sheen lost under the black stain. Hints of red, green, blue, and copper were drybrushed onto select plates to add variance and interest. Three coats of Krylon matte spray were used to seal the paint layers. As a final finishing detail, I adhered bumpons to the surface of three colors of mats, using just the top paper layer, and glued them to the face of the frame. Finally, the picture was fit into the frame with Museum glass.

It's completely over the top, but I had a blast making something cool out of something that was completely forgotten about for so long. With luck, it'll sell quickly. :)

spaceship_zpsda5f6f4f.jpg

I am seriously considering it, Cliff. Need to sit down and figure out exactly what finishes I can create, and try and remember how I did them all. It might be something I could have ready for the summer.

Trevor, if you are on FaceBook, please feel free to check out our business page. We've been posting some of our favorite designs over there. :smile-new:

Just in case any of you don't know, Trevor Yates won the print comp in Vegas and I think popular choice. He has won PPFA comps quite a few times and has been winning comps in Australia for a very long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he has won and placed in the top three in more framing comps that anyone else!

He will be way to modest to tell us how many wins he has had, but he and Jenny are both excellent designers!

Thanks for the plug, Mikki! My jewelry designs are posted on the FaceBook page I have for my jewelry. It's been at a stand still of late, as we've been working on renovating the kitchen, which meant most of the house ended up in my office/studio. We're wrapping things up soon, so I hope to get back to playing soon. For now, feel free to check stuff out here. Most is for sale, some has been sold but can be remade, so if you see anything you like, shoot me a message and I'll hook you up. :)

Kai, I don't "trade" under BaubleMogul, per se, though I have been selling some of my jewelry for a few years, mostly to friends and family. I am trying to get a body or work together so that at some point I can actually make a go of selling my work. Having crafter's ADD, though, sometimes makes that hard, as I am always trying new techniques, rather than perfecting those I already know. Actually a lot of the work I do in my jewelry design translates well to some of the techniques I use for my faux finished frames, like the one in this thread. I am actually looking forward to the kitchen remodel being done, not just so I can get back to doing my clay work, but so that I can finish the garage studio for my lampwork glass bead making, which has unfortunately been stalled for over a year. Miss doing the glass almost more than my clay work, 'cause who doesn't like playing with fire? :smug:

Back