• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Chat Room

John Grow

New participant
Company
Artistic Framing
Twenty years ago or so we had a very active chat room and the members were called the Hitchhikers. I do not know how a chat room is set up but think that it would be a good idea. We even used to post info for joining in the PPFA magazine. This was before the photo folks bought us out.
If someone knows how to set one up and there is interest in it I think that it could again be a viable entity.

John Grow

Hitchhiker was an email based "chain" system. Essentially, if you subscribed, you would get every question and every answer in you inbox. There were various formats and timings you could ask for. (Eg. "Digest"). It was useful when that was what was available technologically. It was superseded by forum type software that provides the same functionality without cluttering up your inbox.

what functionality are you thinking you're missing? What are you trying to accomplish?

P.S. Chat rooms were a different technology. Anyone who wanted to participate could login and type things. It was live. But, only people logged were involved. Very much like a Facebook group chat today.

Hitchhikers was a LISTSERV (email distribution list, with a one day delay). Because of spammers and delay, those have pretty much become extinct. Forums took over from that platform for about 20 years. (and more recently, about 15+ facebook groups too) There was an actual chat room that ran for many years, too, but I have since taken it down. People who wish to chat can do it on Facebook, as Cliff said. The under 30 crowd don't really do much Facebook, so it will be interesting to see what comes next.

Back