• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Keeping the shop clean

Gregory K. Norris CPF

RIP Past PPFA President 2016-2018
Certified Picture Framer®

In Remembrance

Rest In Peace

Company
Huntington Hall of Frames
If you are sawing, no matter how great your dust collection system, there is going to be some additional dust. And of course, then there is the dust and pollen coming in from outside. And the dust from moulding boxes...and on and on.

It seems that since so much of the material is the shop is delicate and sharp things are everywhere, that this is a task that should be shared among the existing staff rather than contracted out to a cleaning service.

But no matter what I do, how detailed my checklists, how clear my instructions, I keep finding myself doing the cleaning. And now I am old and tired and grumpy and do not want to be cleaning every week.

Right now, my feeling is that if anybody is going to be doing the fun stuff while others do the grunt work, that should be me. Somehow this has become reversed and is getting worse lately.

I don't want to create a contentious atmosphere but this can't continue.

I am curious if others have found a system that works.

Well, putting things back seems to happen when they "own an area"

The system I've found for vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, etc, is simple.
I do it. That seems to be the only thing that works.

I actually had assigned scheduled tasks for a while. The dusting wasn't quite as good as I wanted, so I did it again.
The vacuuming seemed to miss spots, so I did it again.
uhh, I think you get the pattern. In the end I decided it was a lot easier do just do it once.

Hire someone really A/R and turn them loose.

If you're an "Oscar" get a "Felix" and the other way around, too.

My shop hasn't had a thorough cleaning in a while because I haven't gone on vacation. When I do, I come back to some sense of order and a bunch of stuff that I couldn't bring myself to throw away gone, but I don't seem to miss them greatly.

Well, that is funny Wally, but I can't tolerate once a year or even once a month.

I think Cliff is probably right and I am just going to have to suck it up. :sour:

Well, you're the boss. Right?

The place gets cleaned more often than once a year, but the accumulation of stuff (moulding shorts, mat board fallouts, "usable" pieces of Optium and Museum/Art Glass) seems to require a special day to get rid of.

Oh, I'm getting one of those air cleaners from Woodcraft which should help with the normal dust from an oldish and somewhat compromised building. It will go in the hall between the two "clean" rooms. Might help with the daily temperature swings as well as it will be pushing air east and west

I have someone come in once every other week to do the heavier cleaning, bathroom, etc. And she dusts the counters, etc. But she is not allowed to clean any of the artwork or samples on the walls, and she is not allowed to do anything in the shop area except for washing the floors.

I do everything else. And I also do what I need to do between her visits.

Back