• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Registration costs for classes and attendance at WC AF Expo Jan 2018

Ken Tuvman

Company
Best Picture Framing
Hi Everyone,

I did send an email the other day to info@wcafexpo.com asking these questions - so far no reply (unless reply went to junk email).

Trying to understand structure of upcoming conference - it looks like there are two organizations - WCAF and PPFA - is that correct?

And no charge to attend the trade show but classes are fee based - it looks to me like I can purchase a PPFA Convention Pass for $299 or purchase a WCAF/National Conference class for $499 and attend any class I want - is that correct?

On the program there are 3 steps listed - Step one says "each attendee must use a separate registration form - that sure seems like a lot of paperwork or am I not interpreting it correctly?

I haven't joined PPFA yet or sure if I'm to join WCAF - would either of the above fees $299 or $499 buy me a one year membership?

As a first timer, what are the key classes and events you'd suggest I attend?

Thanks very much,

Ken Tuvman

Ken,

Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you!

WCAF = West Coast Art and Framing Expo (THE yearly industry event in Las Vegas)

PPFA = Professional Picture Framer's Association. (PPFA sponsors this forum, and has a great certification program)

Tickets to attend WCAF do not include a membership to the trade organization, but a membership to the trade organization includes some perks and discounts at WCAF. (a discounted class package, special member events, the PPFA convention, and even discounted hotel rooms) The hotel room discount is probably more than the membership costs :)

For information about joining PPFA, check out www.ppfa.com

The WCAF classes and events are priced with bundle discounts, or can be purchased a la carte (individually). Each attendee gets to select and purchase those classes that they desire, through the website. The trade show / exhibition hall pass is complimentary, if you sign up in advance. (there is a small fee if you do so at the door)

WCAF is hosted at the Paris Hotel and Convention Center in Vegas, and runs from January 21-24, 2018. (Classes are 1/21 (Sun) - 1/24 (Wed), and the exhibition floor is open Mon, Tue, and Wed)

There are also several great social events to attend, some on the calendar and some are not. This is one of the best parts of going, IMO.

Hopefully I have answered some of your questions, and someone else will chime in to answer the other questions. :) I hope to see you there!

Fellow PPFA Member
Mike

Well, I think Mike got them all? Hard to parse it. Probably best to ask again if it still isn't clear.

The separate registration form question is probably better answered by the organizers, But I just registered once and filled in all my info once. Not sure where you think more is needed?

Look forward to seeing you! Say 'Hi' if I'm running by. (my usual mode of moving at the show! :playful: )

Registration Questions

Was not able to reply to your responses below but thanks a lot - Sheila from PPFA reached out today and hoping to speak with her tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken:
I've attended the WCAF for the last sixteen years and have taken a lot of the courses offered. If you own your own business, take any and all classes offered by Jay Goltz or Ken Baur. You will learn that profit is not a four letter word. The Industry Breakfast on Wednesday morning is always informative and offers key insights into our industry. If you want to hone your skills or add to them, all the courses are taught by excellent instructors. Leave yourself time to walk the trade show floor to see new product and meet the vendors. I always make a purchase at the show to help support the vendors who attend. I think that is crucial.
Don't try to do it all, you'll only get overwhelmed. Make a list of a few key goals (am I here to strengthen my business or am I here to learn a new skill) and stick to it.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. julia@art-heads.com
See you at the show!
Julia

PPFA Membership Levels

Thanks very much for your input about upcoming trade show - my understanding is the show is underwritten by WCAF and within the show the PPFA, the association "drives" the educational and social events. Gather WCAF is for profit and PPFA is non profit - is that right?

I haven't had time to talk to anyone at PPFA this week but it sounds like I can join PPFA and participate in classes and events at the upcoming trade show. As far as membership, I found the PDF membership application (the ppfa.com website, to me being a non-member, won't allow me to access membership info. w/out a user name / p/w - and it's different than login credentials for ppfacorner).

Found the pdf app by googling ppfa membership application - shouldn't there be a pdf link on ppfa.com website or did I miss it?

At any rate - I'm still in the early stages of learning framing - I've purchased equipment, have been framing for friends and family and am not proficient by any means - have a lot to learn. With that said, I'm not ready to launch my business and when I do, it will be home based and by appointment only based on where I'm at in my life and that I've spent 37 years as a salesperson / manager / business owner in the promotional products industry. I've met a couple successful and very talented framers in the Twin Cities - Joe Weinbeck and Mark Roberts and they've both allowed me to visit their shops and answer questions and teach me a few things. I've been to TC Moulding and Superior and know where to buy materials. Am familiar with Crescent, Tru Vue, Valiani - knowledge base is growing. And, Les Martin talked me through how to use my "new to me" Framesquare saw over the phone!!!

In closing, it seems to make sense to join now as an Affiliate Member - as an affiliate, am I able to attend the show, register for classes, attend social events and get the magazine? Can I upgrade to Retail Business Member once I am confident enough to promote and take on various framing jobs from the local community?

Respectfully,

Ken Tuvman

The first year I attended WCAF, 3 of us went. I found the signing up to be incredibly clunky and, if I remember correctly, very similar to original poster's experience. In fact I find most online experiences with PPFA to be a bit cumbersome. Changing a password for the PPFA takes more work than for my bank.

So, there is some confusion, because there is mixed ownership and co-location, but ...

WCAF and the National Conference are one entity that have held an event in Las Vegas for years.
This is BOTH a trade show and a major education event.

In recent years, the PPFA has held it's convention and educational program at the same time and in the same place.

The folks that run the National Conference have set up and manage registration for both organizations.

==============

Separate issue ... under the "new" (a few years now) management PPFA Membership is achieved by registering and joining online at ppfa.com.

There are still PDFs floating around FROM THE OLD MANAGEMENT. Probably better if you don't try to use this.

When you register at ppfa.com you set up a username and password. This is for THAT site. The Framers' Corner is a separate site run by volunteers under the auspices of PPFA, but therefore requires a separate Username and password. Registration for the National Conference and PPFA Convention is run by yet a different organization and therefore requires it's own username and password.

yeah, confusing, but I hope I cleared it up a little bit?

Thanks - starting to put things together here.

As far as joining - is an associate member adequate until I "open my doors" for-profit business? Can I still call myself a PPFA member?

Thanks - starting to put things together here.

As far as joining - is an associate member adequate until I "open my doors" for-profit business? Can I still call myself a PPFA member?
yes.

I forgot to say in the other post, but all classes are open to everyone. You don't have to be a member to take a class.

As Cliff points out, all classes are open to all attending. I know that in the past there have been discounts for classes for PPFA members, but don't know if that is still the case. There are Early Bird Specials and Bundling opportunities that can be beneficial if you are planning on taking a lot of classes.
There are savings at the PPFA Bookstore for members at both the online version and the Pop-Up that will be at WCAF.

Edit Post: I found out that individual memberships don't qualify for discounts on education. If you get a business membership, the discount for an all pass at WCAF is about the same as the cost of membership, so it's a wash.

I am going to contact HQ and see if I can bring over any other helpful information.

If some one is making picture frames for ANYONE other than themselves, they need to be a member of the PPFA and study what they are doing. You have no right to ruin other peoples keep sakes. You owe it to whomever you are framing for to be knowledgeable about what you are doing to their items. When your "Uncle Ben" offers to do your tonsillectomy for free at Thanksgiving, in the garage because he as read some about it on Pinterest, you might want to rethink it. The PPFA has been my BEST 40 year investment ever.

There are great classes this year, as always. Personally, I believe the PPFA classes are the best, but there are also some great WCAF classes this year too.

I first did framing back in the late 60's and came back to it in 2007 and I believe I am quite qualified in many areas, but I still take almost all the classes I can. [I do allow some time to see the vendors on the floor].

I fly in on Saturday so I can start taking classes on Sunday. I take classes on Wednesday [I think the last one gets over around 12:30 or so] so I end up staying Wednesday night to take an early morning flight out on Thursday. Late day flights are always a pain.

Consider taking the Welcome to Vegas Reception [class A7003]. It is $10.00 early registration for PPFA members, and the regular price for non-members is $20.00. This is a social event that will let you get a chance to meet other PPFA framers, because another benefit of the PPFA convention is meeting other framers.

Another inexpensive recommendation is Framer's Corner Live, which is free (but on-site registration is $20.00). This is on Tuesday 7:00 - 8:45am, is being hosted by Cliff Wilson, and allows you to ask all kinds of questions. [My personal concern is I have a 4 hour party scheduled to start at 10:00 pm the night before, so I don't know if I will be physically be in any condition to attend. I don't know, maybe I should skip the party so I can be there!]

Normally there are banners that say PPFA that you can attach to your badge [you will be able to get them at the PPFA booth] so as you walk around you might be able to identify other PPFA members.

Hope to see you there.

PPFA Associate Membership

I did purchase an associate membership and am in the process of registering for classes - looks like I'll be taking most of the basic courses. Thanks again for all your help

Ken Tuvman
Member #5400

Am trying to register for WCAF classes and not finding one online that is in the brochure - there is a class in the brochure on Sunday 9-5 (H610 -Intro to Compo Corners and Metal Leaf Workshop) and I cannot find it in the online schedule, though there is one on water-gilding on the same day. Does the class exist or was it deleted? I may have looked right at and missed it but just don't see it.

Hopefully someone will know. I can confirm it is on the original pdf, but not on the live registration site. It wasn't moved to a different day, under that same class ID.

I checked with the WCAF team, and H610 Intro to Compo Corners was canceled.

But there are lots of great sessions to choose from, framers are spoiled for choice, both the PPFA classes/events and the National Conference sessions!

I checked with the WCAF team, and H610 Intro to Compo Corners was canceled.

But there are lots of great sessions to choose from, framers are spoiled for choice, both the PPFA classes/events and the National Conference sessions!

I had looked at that class too, but then Hugh Phibbs class, A7199 [Adhesive Free Support] overlapped, and I decided that Hugh's class would be a better fit for me. His classes are always exceptional.

Maybe next year WCAF will offer the Intro to Compo Corners again.

Back