• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

2018 Convention Planning

Gregory K. Norris CPF

RIP Past PPFA President 2016-2018
Certified Picture Framer®

In Remembrance

Rest In Peace

Company
Huntington Hall of Frames
The best time to think about the 2018 Convention is while the 2017 version is fresh in our minds.

What went well?

What didn't go well?

What went ok but could be improved?

I think there is still way too much "confusion" regarding the "difference" between PPFA education and WCAF education - and access to classes and EVENTS for NON members. If anything, to me this year's convention came off as more "clique-ish", uninviting and stand-offish that any in recent memory. I saw very little outreach and it (to me) appeared to be a "party for the regulars."

As an educator- I do not understand the lack of compensation parity between the two venues. How is it that my classes for WCAF or for the PPFA are any less "valuable?" Now I do understand that PFFA has less $$ but when it comes to education - but I believe there needs to be a level paying field as the classes at retail are no less expensive between the venues.

Failure to compensate experienced educators (and their related expenses) equally means that eventually, PPFA education will become a "training ground" for NON experienced instructors and the quality of the education will revert to the "good old days" when a local person did a "demo" and we had to be "satisfied" with what we got.

If given a choice to teach for the WCAF or for the PPFA, under current conditions, I would be foolish not to pitch for every WCAF class I can and only accept PPFA classes as a last resort. This is disappointing because I have developed classes specifically for the PPFA that I did not offer to teach elsewhere.

PPFA would do well to promote the President's Dinner as an "INDUSTRY" dinner and make it more inclusive. I understand that the Lifetime Achievement Award is not an automatic and not necessarily given out annually - but.....there are a good number of "senior" members well deserving - whose service to not only the PPFA but the industry at large could be "celebrated" if the Award is announced in advance and the event promoted to honor that person.

The "Welcome to Las Vegas" used to be pitched as a "table top show" - and it could still be pitched to smaller vendors/reps who might not otherwise take a booth at the trade show - yet could "introduce" themselves to a receptive audience. But, again, if you did not have an "all in one" pass, attendance to the event was off-putting cost wise even IF you were a PPFA member. Surely PPFA can throw it's members a bone by allowing attendance to be a "benefit" of membership.

I still advocate that as a trade association, PPFA is "obligated" to offer the kinds of courses that either WCAF will not offer - or may be (as in the past "business related" classes were branded) as "unpopular. I pitched a series of classes called, Lifeskills. These would be on the line of "Delegating and Supervising," "Negotiating Skills," "How to read/understand a Lease" and even an "Exit Strategy" class to groom one's business to sell. I also think more "hands on" tool demos would be beneficial and also some rapid fire "cool things" class from a variety of educators that could show a technique or tool or process that did not warrant a whole class.

WCAF had an outstanding "field trip" to photograph the Valley of Fire. While I understand there are Chapter Leader meetings prior - perhaps PPFA could arrange for a PPFA sponsored off-premises educational opportunity. I remember Vivian Kistler used to lead a tour of the Belagio's Art Collection - or perhaps a behind the scenes tour of the Neon Museum? OR- a non- educational evening event like the Zip Line where we could obtain a group rate; again a BENEFIT for PPFA Membership.

PPFA had "booth demos" that were grossly underpromoted/attended. Surely the Champagne Room could be better utilized and have larger, "free" classes that are better promoted.

I think it is high time that the PPFA begin to video tape some of the classes as a "test" to see if they could be edited into web based education. You already have the venue and instructors.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Rob. You should be happy to know that many of your points are already on the agenda for discussion.

Compensation for educators is a bit above our pay grade though (pun intended) but I feel your message will be heard.

We are looking at improving the President's Dinner, and you are not the only one who felt certain alienation. Good idea about expanding it to be more industry inclusive. Thoughts about that are permeating much of what is being discussed concerning all PPFA activities and events.

First, I had a great time, as always. Yes, I was a little rushed, didn't have enough time, so it seemed, but the 2017 PPFA was great. The show is expensive for suppliers so expanding the number of days is probably not realistic. And even by Wednesday, the majority have left.

Couple of thoughts:
1. The chapter leaders information package was out quite late; by then almost everyone had already booked their classes, and made their flight schedules. More lead time on this kind of information would be helpful, if possible.

2. The WCAF has a app for the show, but it did not allow any dates before the first Sunday. Many of us came in on Saturday, but we could not add this information to the app. And I believe some of the class location info was wrong.

3. The registration process is very confusing. I had several people in my chapter call me to help them register for classes. They registered for the conference, but once they were registered, they could not figure out how to register for classes.

4. I don't have an answer or opinion, but some people mentioned to me some of the classes were too long [3 hours]. Last year they mentioned they were too short [1hr 45 min]. Some people just complain. However one person did say that if it was a great class they would like more time, but if it was a dud speaker, even the short class was too much. Don't have a solution.

5. There is confusion over the difference for PPFA and WCAF classes. Also confusion over what the full pass brings. Somehow I would like more WCAF attendees to be more welcome [easier to sign up for??] to attend the PPFA classes.

6. The locations changed at the last minute, so it seemed for some of the PPFA / Chapter leaders classes. This made it more difficult for those with walking difficulties.

7. The idea of some short demo's at the PPFA booth was great. It came a litle late for much publicity, but I expect this will be improved on next year.

8. The fact that most of the winners of the larger door prizes were all from the same table was interesting. Next time can you share the winners across more tables?:mmph: [just kidding]. However, there were problems with door prizes. Some of those that were announced as winners, never received anything. Maybe next year, they winners can at least be given an envelope that shows they won.

9. Although it is easy to say what needs to be improved, really lots went right too! Thanks to all the volunteers who helped with everything.

Back