• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Leather wrapped frames

That's very good, Mo. Could your source for leather-working also cover an oddly-shaped frame, such as this one? Or a football? Or a round frame, made to look like a basketball, volleyball, soccer ball, etc.?

MatFrame3-LoRes.jpg

That frame in your pictures is beautifully done and I'm sure your customer will be very pleased, Mo.

I don't see why not. What do you have in mind?
Something simple. The photo shows the frame ready for finishing, and I guess a thin, flexible leather (or other material) would work best. The covering probably could be most easily glued to the back.

Creative suggestions for finishing these frames, which could be almost any size, would be welcome.

Jim, A friend of mine makes commercial furniture and uses vacuum bags to deform leather to various contours. The leather is humidified and placed in the vinyl bag with the form, in your case the frame, and a vacuum is drawn. When the humidity is back to normal the leather and form are glued together with contact cement (Barge brand).

Jim, A friend of mine makes commercial furniture and uses vacuum bags to deform leather to various contours. The leather is humidified and placed in the vinyl bag with the form, in your case the frame, and a vacuum is drawn. When the humidity is back to normal the leather and form are glued together with contact cement (Barge brand).
That sounds very interesting, Wally. Can you give me his contact information?

Mo, I apologize for hijacking your thread. That leather-covered frame still is a beautiful thing!

Back