• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

What shop has the most CPF's/MCPF's?

I don't mean this in a bad way. I like to know if having the certifications make any difference on your bottom lines?

I don't mean this in a bad way. I like to know if having the certifications make any difference on your bottom lines?
Unquestionably!! Not only do we have a better idea what we SHOULD be doing, I market the heck out of it and it brings in considerable business.

It has made a big difference here. Many people have come in because of the certification, passing dozens of shops on the way. They want to have confidence that the framer is aware of the most current standards (best known practices) of handling their item, to do no harm. It has been WELL worth it, for us. (Andy is the CPF, not me!)

Mike

Although it may be true, that some potential and existing customers find assurance when they see the credentials of the owner or a staff employee, at the end of the day it is the overall reputation of the shop, and that client's personal experience that will provide the traffic flow and positive feedback of their experience.

Although certification is more of personal affirmation that one meets muster within our industry, there is bound to be a direct correlation between certified staff and the quality of the shop's work, most of the time. :thumb:

Keep in mind that there are also many excellent framers who for whatever reason are not Certified. I've seen some who are excellent framers who simply don't like taking tests! :nevreness: To some folks it is simply not their cup of tea.

Although we should market and use the credentials to create consumer awareness, I don't think we should rely on this solely as our defining point. The last time you hired an electrician or plumer or HAC contractor, do you remember looking for their certification? Or was it other quality recommendations or experiences that took you to their door?

John

Although it may be true, that some potential and existing customers find assurance when they see the credentials of the owner or a staff employee, at the end of the day it is the overall reputation of the shop, and that client's personal experience that will provide the traffic flow and positive feedback of their experience.

Although certification is more of personal affirmation that one meets muster within our industry, there is bound to be a direct correlation between certified staff and the quality of the shop's work, most of the time. :thumb:

Keep in mind that there are also many excellent framers who for whatever reason are not Certified. I've seen some who are excellent framers who simply don't like taking tests! :nevreness: To some folks it is simply not their cup of tea.

Although we should market and use the credentials to create consumer awareness, I don't think we should rely on this solely as our defining point. The last time you hired an electrician or plumer or HAC contractor, do you remember looking for their certification? Or was it other quality recommendations or experiences that took you to their door?

John
I hope no one took my post as an indication that "get certified and they will come," but I believe that the certification can be used to draw people in MUCH more than (what I percieve as) the somewhat passive approach most framers use relative to Certification.

Clearly, you can be certified and still do a poor or mediocre job and certification won't compensate for that, but given all other factors are equal, the certification can be used as a big boost.

I (and my staff) has found taking and being a CPF to be an invaluable team building experience. Anyone that has worked for me for a year is eligible for my company paying for all the related expenses to taking the exam. I have not had anyone not pass on the first attempt but would also offer another chance if they didn't pass the first time. San diego used to have an extremely active chapter so there was usually an exam per year locally - though I have also paid for expenses to go to Las Vegas, take the test and also take classes and attend the trade show.

I do feel that the row of CPF certificates above our design counter and the initials after their names on their business cards has led to discussion and perceived credibility from our clients.

Not only do we have a better idea what we SHOULD be doing...

I would respectfully counter that the certification doesn't do that, it's the studying. If someone wants to be the best framer they can be, the studying can (and should) be done regardless of whether the test is taken or not.

Mo, many framers perceive the PPFA certifications as marketing tools, but having letters after one's name is not their main value. While it is true that having proof of one's training and expertise can be advertised to impress some customers, that is not the original purpose of the certifications. Another incidental benefit is the higher level of professionalism that seems to permeate the shops where CPFs and MCPFs work, which probably comes not from the certifications themselves, but from the mindset of framers who embrace the best of organized framing education.

John and others point out that many framers of exceptional knowledge and high expertise have not earned the CPF or MCPF designations. Of course that is true.

It is also true that most self-taught framers have no idea what may be missing from their framing knowledge and skills, even if they believe they possess all of the knowledge and skills they need. Back room experimentation, random classes, and magazine articles cannot assure a broad base of knowledge or proper execution of advanced techniques.

The intended purpose (and in my opinion, the primary value) of the CPF and MCPF programs is to expand the body of framing knowledge and "raise the bar" of framing expertise by developing Study Guides toward essential, up-to-date framing information from vetted texts, by providing uniform tests of framing skills and expertise, by providing proof that one has achieved a certain level of preservation framing knowledge (CPF) and practical skill (MCPF), and by periodic update requirements as framing innovations occur; Recertification for CPF, and Continuing Education for MCPF.

I would respectfully counter that the certification doesn't do that, it's the studying. If someone wants to be the best framer they can be, the studying can (and should) be done regardless of whether the test is taken or not.
Valid statement, but the Certification is evidence that you've studied AND learned what you studied.

Mo, many framers perceive the PPFA certifications as marketing tools, but having letters after one's name is not their main value. While it is true that having proof of one's training and expertise can be advertised to impress some customers, that is not the original purpose of the certifications. Another incidental benefit is the higher level of professionalism that seems to permeate the shops where CPFs and MCPFs work, which probably comes not from the certifications themselves, but from the mindset of framers who embrace the best of organized framing education.

John and others point out that many framers of exceptional knowledge and high expertise have not earned the CPF or MCPF designations. Of course that is true.

It is also true that most self-taught framers have no idea what may be missing from their framing knowledge and skills, even if they believe they possess all of the knowledge and skills they need. Back room experimentation, random classes, and magazine articles cannot assure a broad base of knowledge or proper execution of advanced techniques.

The intended purpose (and in my opinion, the primary value) of the CPF and MCPF programs is to expand the body of framing knowledge and "raise the bar" of framing expertise by developing Study Guides toward essential, up-to-date framing information from vetted texts, by providing uniform tests of framing skills and expertise, by providing proof that one has achieved a certain level of preservation framing knowledge (CPF) and practical skill (MCPF), and by periodic update requirements as framing innovations occur; Recertification for CPF, and Continuing Education for MCPF.
Well, from an organization and industry point of view, I agree.
But, from a framer/owner I believe the main goals are to:

1) learn as much as you can, so you know how to be as good as you can be, so your business can grow with your expertise
2) prove to your market that you actually know those things, so you can grow your business.

yes, I believe the primary advantage of the certification is that it CAN grow your business.

Well put David. Even if you choose to not go for the certification, you should study all of the materials and take refresher classes the PPFA has to remain well educated!

Back