• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

How do *you* pronounce "fillet"?

HOW DO *YOU* PRONOUNCE "FILLET"?

• Neither/I don't know/What is a fillet?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FI-LAY'

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • FIL'-ET

Votes: 41 97.6%

• Total voters

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
This is intended to be a fun discussion, triggered by Jim's post in the Framing Questions forum.

The answer seems to vary by region, and so does the reason. (this is always a fun discussion at trade shows)

HOW DO *YOU* PRONOUNCE "FILLET"? ... and why?

Discussion encouraged

Note: This is an ongoing survey, with no expiration date. Your choice will be anonymous.

I don't understand why this is pronounced differently in different areas?

There isn't even an 'R' in the word for people to unnecessarily stress! ;)

I pronounce it "fillit" only because that's how my father said it. When I think "fillaye" I think fish. Witch reminds me, after these last few days it's almost time for fish, chips and chowder on the beach. Ohh yeaa!

I pronounce it "fillit" only because that's how my father said it. When I think "fillaye" I think fish. Witch reminds me, after these last few days it's almost time for fish, chips and chowder on the beach. Ohh yeaa!

You mean Chowdah

Called the plumber today. Opening our cape place in a few weeks!
Can't wait!

The way I pronounce it is instead of the It sound on the end, I turn it into a the sound. If that makes sense. The stress is on the first syllable, not on the second. When pronouncing it the French way, the stress is on the second syllable. I suppose it sounds classy or snobby to say it the French way. Half of the time I use the word slip. In that case fillet is a more up-market word. The same as saying pork or pig-meat.

Fill-it, because that's the way it was meant to be. A fill-lay is a nice and tasty cut of meat.

On the other hand, a customer can call it bat guano and I won't care as long as she's paying for it.

I say "fill-it". I have seen it written fillet and fillett. If it was written filet, I would pronounce it "fill-aye".

Being in the deep south I hear that little piece of wood called "FIL laaaaye" a lot, but that could just be the sweet southern drawl being inflected upon what is percieved to be a french term. :distracted: If fillet was a spanish word, the double L would be pronounced with a "ya" sound and we'd have an entirely different pronounciation altogether.

Fill-it, because that's the way it was meant to be. A fill-lay is a nice and tasty cut of meat.

On the other hand, a customer can call it bat guano and I won't care as long as she's paying for it.

OK 'bat guano' it is!

I pronouce the word 'fii-it', whether its the tiny moulding or the side of a fish or a piece of meat, but the spelling will remain 'fillet' until hell freezes over.

I believe Paul Frederick said the same thing! :)

I posted the thread just to create some conversation. This is a discussion that comes up at every trade show, and is always a lot of fun :)

Mike

After making several inquiries years ago, I found that the accepted pronounciation is fill-it, and I fully embrace that now.

I do, however, have a tough time accepting local pronounciations of "Dubois," which I have encountered both in New York and Wyoming. Do-boise (rhymes with "voice") is how they say it, but that's just wrong.

Byron, I used to have an employee whose last name was DuBois. She and her mother pronounced it "du-BWAH", but her father pronounced it "du-BOYS". She had been a childhood friend of my stepdaughter's, and my wife says that in those days people would (quietly) refer to their family as the "du-Boys du-Bwahs".
:pop2: Rick

She was the best employee I ever had. Great framer, and a great salesperson too. She was cute and personable, and customers loved her. Ironically, she loved to sell fillets. I used to tease her and call her the "Queen of Fillets".

Fillet vs. filet

"Filet" is a French word. It means a thin slip or trickle of something. It is pronounced feelay. "Fillet" is an English word, and must be pronounced using English phonetic rules. Fill-it has to be correct.

This topic always gets framers talking at trade shows, so I'm bumping it up to the top for those of us just joining us.

I think I heard a few different ways at this years trade show, 6 weeks ago.

How do YOU pronounce the word in your shop? :)

Mike

Back