• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

PPFA.com

Randy Parrish CPF

Frequent Poster
Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Parrish Fine Framing
If you are looking for PPFA.com, membership info or anything else, while the website is under going changes, we might be able to help you with, this is place to ask it.

Thanks Randy for the post. Also thanks to anyone who posts. It's disappointing to see how little interaction there is with everyone.

I used to really enjoy the Grumble but not lately. I would say it's evolved to an all time low.

Why not forward every ppfa.com inquiry to Framers Corner.com?

I sure didn't expect the PPFA site to go dark for weeks or months.

Doug

We now have a small presence at pmai.org on this page http://www.pmai.org/about-ppfa/

For those who need to communicate with members, I don't think that the FC should be the sole means of communication. I love the FC, and use it very much, but there are so many members not checking in, and don't have the slightest clue that changes might be happening.

Susan, thanks for the post.

.............I love the FC, and use it very much, but there are so many members not checking in, and don't have the slightest clue that changes might be happening.

I also like Framers Corner but the activity needs to increase.

It could be that members don't check in because there's not much to check in on.

Heck, I check in often and am uncertain that changes are really happening.

No disrespect to anyone intended.

Doug

Susan, thanks for the post.

I also like Framers Corner but the activity needs to increase.

It could be that members don't check in because there's not much to check in on.

Heck, I check in often and am uncertain that changes are really happening.

No disrespect to anyone intended.

Doug

I agree.:thumb:
I am also on the Grumble which has become a train wreck as far as I'm concerned.
The thing about a "train wreck" is that it's hard to look away.

I like the Framers' Corner as it seems to be where most of the grown up adults are who are really interested in framing and the framing business.

My only concern about the Framers' Corner is that it seems to mostly be PPFA people talking to other PPFA people about the PPFA.
Please, no disrespect intended in this but I am a 47 year framer and I frame and install 5 and 6 days a week and I care about framing, frame design, etc. at the hands on level.

I would like to see more designs posted. We've had some great projects and I'm guilty myself of not posting the designs.
I'm also interested in customer issues and solutions, hardware and software problems and solutions.

This is just my opinion, I'm kind of a newbie here and I don't mean to step on any toes. :pop2:

I guess that if we want more activity here with certain topics, it's up to us to post and make it worthwhile. I see many cool projects on FB forums, and even a few from this amazing framer in Phoenix named Alan.:playful: Perhaps posting on FB is easier? The FC is OURS and we can make to meet our needs. Personally, I need marketing and social media ideas and images. If we get more to come here regularly, it will blossom.

One of the keys to growing a BB is to visit regularly and post often. When those who only sign on occasionally realize that there is lots to read, they will sign on more often.

Activity breeds more activity.

One of the keys to growing a BB is to visit regularly and post often. When those who only sign on occasionally realize that there is lots to read, they will sign on more often.

Activity breeds more activity.

Yes,

I would suggest that the fastest way to grow Framers Corner and would be to open more forums to non-members.

Many are hungry for a Grumble option.

Lots of good stuff is buried behind the secure log in.

The best example is a "Thank You to Vendors" buried twice deep behind the secure log in.

Doug

I tend to agree and this is something that will be discussed seriously, for a plan to expand the forum.

The biggest threat to the health of framing industry specific forums lately has been Facebook. Folks are posting questions there, across at least 8 different private framing member groups, instead of on the forums. The info doesn't become searchable in the future and is only visible to a smaller audience who may not be members of all of the different groups. We should frequent the forums dedicated to the industry, IMO, if we want them to grow and succeed.

Mike

Last edited:
The private Facebook forums are exclusionary by design, limiting participation to invited members only. That concept is counterproductive if the purpose is to tap an unlimited body of knowledge, but it is fine for keeping unwelcome participants (read: troublemakers, know-it-alls, nay-sayers, bullies, etc.) out of casual conversations among friends.

Framers' Corner is also private, since full access is set up as a benefit to only PPFA members, but there is nothing exclusionary about it, since everyone is welcome (OK, begged) to join. Unfortunately, giving away the PPFA member benefits provides a disincentive to join. If the association could come up with a benefactor who doesn't mind providing the member benefits without compensation, it would have a lot more participants and a lot less revenue (can't imagine much less revenue than now). But so far, nobody has stepped forward to buy the benefits of PPFA membership for all those framers who want free access, which points to the main attractions of The Grumble; it's free and available to everyone, providing a tremendous body of knowledge. Sadly, that tremendous body of knowledge is shrinking, as more and more framers migrate to invitation-only forums.

It is amusing that some of the most vocal critics of PPFA's members-only benefits are also among the creators and most active participants in the private Facebook pages.

Khoo set up the Facebook group Underpinner, a long time ago. It is growing, I am one of the moderators (it is very loosely monitored) and there is a search option which works as well as it does on here, or the Grumble. In fact, I did a search just now, with better results in that group than on the G.

I have to remind myself to go on here more often and there is not always that much new going on. The having a members only forum has pros and cons. I don't think there will all that much participation with only PPFA members. There is a wealth of collective information out there,but not all framers are PPFA members.

It makes this forum much calmer and more professional.

As for the G? I don't really participate that much anymore either. I do check the political subforum (yeah, that train wreck Neil mentioned :) )

No need for private invites through members in the Underpinner group. If anyone's interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/underpinner/

Just request to join. All framers welcome so enter at own risk :)

Back