• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

19th Century Chinese Surcoat Shodowbox

Mindy Sue Werth CPF

Participant
Certified Picture Framer®
Company
The Great Frame Up
surcoat.jpgup close surcoat.jpgsurcoat hung.jpgsurcoat left.jpg

58X40 Musuem Glass, Triple stack with a strainer frame. Silk surcoat with royal symbolism. Small openings are close up photos of the dragons on the back of the surcoat. 8 dragons total.

Yes, that is a beautiful design and well executed assembly.

Projects like this can be very challenging, not only in terms of design, but also in terms of construction techniques. Since the fabric is more than 100 years old, it must be at least somewhat deteriorated and fragile. How did you support the garment and how is it attached to the backing board?

Yes, that is a beautiful design and well executed assembly.

Projects like this can be very challenging, not only in terms of design, but also in terms of construction techniques. Since the fabric is more than 100 years old, it must be at least somewhat deteriorated and fragile. How did you support the garment and how is it attached to the backing board?

Thanks Jim

The condition was actually not bad, (despite the fact it'd be worn in the 70's as a cocktail garment by our clients mother). It was lined with another layer of silk on the inside that helped avoid handling the embroidery which was quiet brittle and unraveled easily. The Jacket is actually supported by a dowel rod extending through the arms, and there was a layer of polyester underneath the jacket that provided some grip and a protective barrier from the suede mat. My backing board was coroplast, which I was able to drill through to support the rob. At the customer's request we did hand stitch in strategic places in secure the layers of the jacket down so they would not flop open in transport. We were able to do this without loosing the hanging effect I was striving for.

Really Nice.

Another advantage of a 2 person shop. I cannot imagine doing something so large and heavy in my shop because I am the only one here.

Customer found a great framer in selecting you.:thumb:

A brave, and gorgeous design, I'm sure the client was super pleased. That much suede in a shadowbox is not for the weak heart!

What type of hanging system did you use, a cleat on the strainer?

Back