• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Wanted to Buy CPF study books

Sue Flynn

Company
Cherry Ridge Picture Framing, LLC
I am looking for the following manuals to purchase.

Picture Framing Vol 1 by Vivian Kistler
Art & Picture Framing Glossary of Standard Terms..published by PPFA
PPFA Guidelines for Framing Paintings on Canvas..published by PPFA
PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework...pub. by PPFA
PPFA Guidelines for framing works of art on paper..pub by PPFA

Thanks!
Sue

Check in the PPFA Book store

http://www.pmai.org/online/core/orders/category.aspx?catid=8

If you do not find what you need contact Nick Shaver or Jen Kruger to see if they have them, Also most chapters have a library where the books can be borrowed. But if you want to purchase I totally understand. Some of them can be purchased on Amazon also

I will have the Great Lakes Chapter Lending Library available at the next chapter meeting in Ann Arbor when Hugh Phibbs will be the speaker.

Thanks everyone for all of your help/suggestions.

I'm one of those people who like to underline, highlight, write notes etc when I read/study books to help me to retain information.
Which is why I had wanted to get my own copies of the books. I was checking to see if there were any used ones before purchasing them.

I will check to see if there are any on Amazon or Ebay as well. Otherwise I'll purchase them from the PPFA.

Thanks! :)

I went to the PPFA website store. I don't see Picture Framing Vol 1 by Vivian Kistler.

I clicked on Training and Certification (customer framing training)

Is this not required anymore for the CPF exam?

Now I need to know exactly what materials are needed to study for the exam.

And, yes....I'm working on applying for the scholarship. :)

The books that I have are:
Framing Needlework vol 3 by VK
Conservation Framing vol 4 by VK
Mounting Methods Vol 5 by VK
Framing Photography vol 6 by VK
Framing Collectibles vol 7 by VK
The COmplete Guide to Shadowboxes & Framing Objects by Jim Miller

Sue, the CPF Study Guide under Certification at ppfa.com will list the books that are required - the CPF exam and study guide were both recently updated.
You can also call Nick on Monday.
A scholarship includes a set of books.

I went to the PPFA website store. I don't see Picture Framing Vol 1 by Vivian Kistler.
If the PPFA Bookstore no longer carries that volume, you may be able to buy it from Omega Moulding. David Merzin, owner of Omega, purchased the assets and copyrights of Vivian Kistler's Columba Publishing Company. He owns all of the remaining inventory of Vivian's books.

Last I heard, Vivien's Book 1 was sold out everywhere, and there were no plans to reprint it.

I just saw one on Ebay for $11. You might also look at ABE books. But...some of the material in this book--good as it is--is now considered out of date. There are also copies available to borrow from chapter libraries. If there is a CPF near you, they will probably have a copy.

If I remember correctly, the PPFA Guidelines series is intended to replace a lot of the books on the CPF Study Guide list. The CPF exam is heavily weighted toward preservation, so having the most recent information will be important.

There is a current list at the end of the study guide. Here is a link to the site where the study guide resides:

http://www.pmai.org/ppfacontent.aspx?id=20350

Sue, the CPF Study Guide under Certification at ppfa.com will list the books that are required - the CPF exam and study guide were both recently updated.
You can also call Nick on Monday.
A scholarship includes a set of books.

Only certain publications are included in the scholarship. They are listed on the application.

Hi Sue,

If my memory serves.... I think I have an extra copy of Vol.1. I am in the process of moving right now and haven't unpacked my books yet. I'll PM you next week when I find everything. I think it's a recent edition too.

Gail

I noticed the Vol 1 is for sale through Larson also.

Back