• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Elaine Truman, PPFA liaison to PMA has left . . . concerns?

Andrew Lenz Jr.

Frequent Poster
Company
Lenz Arts, Inc.
Here's the text that went out:

--------------------------
PPFA announces staff change

Elaine Truman, who has served in the capacity of PPFA liaison for many years, is no longer holding that position. Her duties have been assumed by Jennifer Kruger, a 20-year veteran of PMA who also serves as Director of Communications and Publisher of PMA Magazine.

“We are grateful to Elaine, who has served PPFA and PMA very well for many years. I am confident that, as business owners themselves, PPFA members understand that there are some circumstances in which tough decisions like this have to be made," said Jim Esp, Executive Director of PMA. "However, Elaine is leaving PPFA in very good hands. Jen Kruger is a
long-time PMA staff member who has a great deal of experience working with several groups across the entire spectrum of PMA associations, in many capacities. She will be continuing Elaine’s high level of service to PPFA members, and will also be bringing new communication opportunities, resources, and relationships with key industry suppliers. Jen and Elaine will be working very closely together for the coming weeks, with plenty of support from the PPFA board, the long-standing PPFA team, and from PMA as a whole. We wish Elaine all the best, and we look forward to a bright future ahead for PPFA."

Robin Gentry, PPFA President, added, "The PPFA International Board want express our appreciation to Elaine for the years of hard work and service she has provided our members. While Elaine will be greatly missed by all who have worked with her on PPFA Chapter Boards and Committees we look forward to working with Jen Kruger to continue the goals of PPFA. We wish Elaine the best in the future. Thank you for everything!"
--------------------------

Any reason to be concerned that Elaine's duties are rolled onto someone who I'm assuming was already pulling her own weight but now has even more duties?

Andrew

Andrew, it was a shift in duties, not just more duties. I'm sure Robin will have more to say about this when she gets a chance.

We will miss Elaine, and it will take some time for Jennifer to get up to speed with PPFA, but it isn't a case of just folding PPFA into someone who already has full time duties.

There are going to be a lot of questions, but please give Robin a chance to review them and answer them. The last thing we want is for misinformation to circulate. I feel confident answering this one, but for more detailed questions, we should wait for Robin.

From reading the text I can gather, that Elaine, who did a wonderful job, is no longer working in the PPFA department due to cost-cutting. Willshe still be employed by PMA somewhere at the headquarters in Jackson?

This is another example of PMA taking decisions without consultation with PPFA and thinking they own PPFA. In my humble opinion, we are better off without PMA. Hopefully one day in the future we may be able to leave this network of photographers for good.

The title of this thread is a bit backwards.
Elaine was (is for a bit longer) an employee of PMA assigned to work with the PPFA sub-division.

PMA as the owner of PPFA (yes they own PPFA. PPFA is NOT an independent entity) can make employee decisions without consulting PPFA.

In this case, they have taken steps to reduce their operating budget which is primarily payroll.

It seems apparent that this can't be the only move in that direction.

I am sure Robin will comment, but she is VERY busy making phone calls to chapters and committees and trying to have live conversations with a number of people.

The original question concerning whether we should be concerned ... of course we should.
We have a new person (reported to be very competent) who is an unknown to us. We need to help her as much as we can, but there WILL be a learning curve. Things WILL be harder and require us to pay more attention.

In addition, they are clearly making staff cuts because their revenue isn't sufficient for their expenses. Even with these cuts there is an ongoing concern that the revenue decline will continue. With the obvious erosion and disappearance of the photography marketplace as we have known it, I suspect continued revenue decline. Their ongoing health and ability to husband our organization is questionable, but they DO own us. This is worth being concerned about. Not that immediate or drastic action needs be taken, but concern and consideration are in order IMO.

It should be noted that Elaine was not the only staff cut, she was the only PFFA dedicated staff cut, from what I gathered there were other PMA cuts.

I agree with Cliff's assessment that PMA should be concerned with the state of the old school photography/tradeshow industry, I don't know if they are capable of change. What I do know is PPFA is stronger than it has been in several years and membership is growing, even though our numbers will never return to 1980's levels. I am not predicting anything but I know we will continue.

I will be meeting with Jen Kruger in the next couple weeks, one of the perks of being close to PMA offices.

Cliff and Randy have both posted very good summations of the situation in this thread. Thanks.

I was in one of the conference calls this week to share the information and changes happening. It is part of life and the way things are.

Much gratitude to Elaine for being such a hard working and passionate person about her work and responsibilities to PPFA. And we wish Jennifer all the best as she takes over these duties.

John

Greg, Cliff, Randy and John have all stated things very well. Thank you Guys!

I have been making calls all week and have more to make today and tomorrow to contact all of our committee members and chapter leaders. So If I do not respond right away please give me a little time. Also know I am available to talk to or email with anyone that has questions. So Please contact me 270-842-3801 or robin@bandjgallery.com.

First and Foremost, Elaine will be Greatly missed. She has been a huge asset. Elaine is still with us for 1 more week. During this time she will be transferring her duties to Jen Kruger. Jen has been with PMA for 20 years.She has been in charge or communications and publisher of the PMA Magazine. I have been in contact with Jen and she is getting up to speed with PPFA. Yes there will be a learning curve and I ask we all please do our best to help her through this transition. Jen is going to be dedicated to PPFA and will be giving up her responsibilities with another division of PMA to work with us.

As previously stated this is purely a budgetary decision. There have been additional staff cuts throughout PMA. As in any business when the revenue does not meet the expected expenses hard decisions must be made to keep the business going.

PPFA itself is growing. We have seen an increase in membership over this time last year and anticipate the numbers to continue to grow. PPFA is in the planning stages of the upcoming PPFA Convention to be co-located with WCAF in January. We are having a convention, education, and a framing competition. Please make plans to attend this Wonderful event!

For those that do not fully understand the hierarchy, PPFA is OWNED by PMA. This occurred 5 years after affiliation, there was a vote by the membership at that time to confirm the affiliation. PMA owns all the divisions under the umbrella. PMA has an Executive Director who plans the budgets and the PMA Board then approves the budgets. It is up to the Executive Director to manage the organization. PPFA has a Board which advises the Liaison (this was Elaine now Jen) as to what we would like to see for our members. These items are taken into consideration when the budget is planned. We do not always get what we ask for but our voice is heard.

I do know is of concern to all of our Committees, Chapter Leaders and Members. But do know your PPFA Board is doing all it can to make this transition smooth. If you have any questions please contact me directly. I will answer your questions or find out the answers if I do not know them.

Thanks Robin

Much gratitude to Elaine for being such a hard working and passionate person about her work and responsibilities to PPFA. And we wish Jennifer all the best as she takes over these duties.

John

I would like to echo what John said.

Elaine was passionate about PPFA and always went well beyond the call of duty. Her leaving is a great loss, and I wish her the very best in future endeavors.

A big cyber *HUG* from everyone here at PPFA Framer's Corner
Mike

Elaine was a very bright spot within the organization and I think that anyone who has ever met her or has had any communication with her will say that she was the kind of person who most would like to call friend. My bet is that this is a new door opening for her. Out of some of the most seemingly low points in life there will be a blessing waiting. Your blessing will be there Elaine. Good luck and many blessings to you. Hugs, Pat K

Thank you all so very much for the kind words and concern. I will gladly accept all the cyber hugs I can get!:smile:
Please know that I am returning them....with tears in my eyes and gratitude in my heart. I have never worked for an industry or in a position that I enjoyed as much as this one...or with people that I admired and loved as much as you folks! PPFA members are fiery, passionate, loving, caring, creative, generous and extraordinarily gifted artisans and craftsmen....the salt of the earth type people...and I have been so very proud to be affiliated with each and every one of you, these past 9 years.
Robin is right...PPFA is growing and thriving! Membership is up 58% over this same time last year, the convention plans are underway with Jen taking the reins, working closely with Robin and West Coast Art & Frame, and every committee is hard at work on exciting projects. I will miss every minute of it...and hope to keep in touch with many of you, going forward! Thanks for ALL that you have done for PPFA, for this great industry of ours and for me personally. Hugs, Elaine

Back