• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

CPF test question...

Andrew Lenz Jr.

Frequent Poster
Company
Lenz Arts, Inc.
So, here I am trying to get through the study books for me to take the CPF test before my scholarship runs out!

One of the book is "Caring for your Art." It's recommended to read Chapters 1-5 and 8.

Now, some of us are the curious sort and poke around in areas outside of the lines. In a required chapter of the book, it says that 70 degrees and 50% humidity is ideal for artwork. In a non-required chapter of the book, it says that 70 degrees and 50% humidity is not ideal and that lower on both is actually better.

My question is, is too much knowledge dangerous? If the CPF test asks about ideal temperature and humidity, should I pretend that I didn't read in the other chapters?

I have to admit, I really have to force myself to read this book. It's remedial reading. But, hey, there was a tidbit or two that might come in handy. Like the recommended lifespan of UV sleeves for fluorescent lights is 7-10 years. I'm sure I read that sometime in DECOR Magazine back when Reagan was president, but I forgot that. [shrug]

Andrew

That's ok, they discontinued the T12 light bulbs last year anyways. So you'll be replacing them either way, when the supply runs out.

Andrew,

I am so excited for you taking the CPF test!

I did read all of the recommended books. I studied hard the parts recommended, yet still scanned the rest of the material. When it comes to the test, remember to answer what the question is asking. Don't overthink it. You are back in high school. Use the answer that best fits the question

Does that help?

:peace::peace:
PS- Cathy Coggins is looking for a study partner.

That's ok, they discontinued the T12 light bulbs last year anyways. So you'll be replacing them either way, when the supply runs out.

We haven't used T12 bulbs for years. We switched to T8 bulbs maybe 10 years ago now. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (1980s), I cut UV Plexi and fitted it over our fluorescent lights. The only place I think sleeves make sense for our shop is where we store our matboard. Anyone know about sources for T8 UV sleeves?

Back to the main topic:
Thanks Sarah. I'm an excellent test taker (96-percentile PSAT, 93-percentile SAT), but I'm also a perfectionist and don't want to give up points that I don't have to, hence the question. I'd love to have the chance to debate "incorrect" answers after I take the test, but I can't see that opportunity happening. (That's not saying that I expect to only miss vague questions, I'm not young enough to think I'm perfect!)

Thanks!
:smile:
Andrew

It's recommended to read Chapters 1-5 and 8.

Now, some of us are the curious sort and poke around in areas outside of the lines. In a required chapter of the book, it says that 70 degrees and 50% humidity is ideal for artwork. In a non-required chapter of the book, it says that 70 degrees and 50% humidity is not ideal and that lower on both is actually better.

My question is, is too much knowledge dangerous? If the CPF test asks about ideal temperature and humidity, should I pretend that I didn't read in the other chapters?
[shrug]

Andrew

Andrew, I have never taken this test but from what I have heard from others you are correct. That is also why trying to take the test without studying the recommended material does not work. You are being tested on your knowledge of the source material as I understand it.

Just remember the answers from the recommended sections. I HATED this book. It took me forever just to slog through the recommended sections. But, apparently it is still the best source of information on the subject.

You can be fairly certain that there is an editorial error here. If you really, really want to know, there are bound to be authoritative sources of the information. For important information, I never rely on one source. If you do the research, please let us know. I still live by the 50% rule, but am always open to new thinking.

My understanding is that the 70 degrees F and 50% RH recommendation is to specify an "ideal" display environment, but artworks can benefit from cooler temperatures and lower humidity, up to a point. Likewise, most artworks can tolerate higher temperatures and humidity as well. In many cases, conditions that change rapidly or radically would cause more damage than steady conditions higher or lower than the recommendations.

In any case, the CPF exam is full of almost-correct answer choices, which is why CPF candidates ought to study, study, and study some more. Always select the answer specified in the Study Guide, even if it is not the best answer for all purposes.

Back