• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Doo Hickey

Sue Flynn

Company
Cherry Ridge Picture Framing, LLC
I'm in search of a Doo Hickey. Crazy gadget but I would really like to have one. All the sources I've tried no longer carry them. My guess it that it's not
made anymore.

If you have one that you are not using and would want to part with it I would be happy to buy it!!

Thanks much!
Sue

Sue,
Did you want a three or four wheeler with a dickey seat or the one with the twin overhead fox tails?

Seriously though, I thought the term 'doo hickey' was a generic term used for any device that you didn't know the proper name of! I can't help you, sorry!

Ok....loved the responses - you made my day! haha

The Doo Hickey is a gadget for removing ATG. Linda Pujo did a class at the WPPFA training in April on tools of the trade and handy dandy items that come in helpful. It was a fun class ~ and a pretty sweet tool I might add!

This is what it looks like:

View attachment 564

There is a sandpaper strip along the top edge, and the bottom is a hard rubber strip about 1/2” thick, screwed to the wooden handle. M&M used to sell it but I called them and they don't carry it anymore. Same with United Manf.

Sue I have one that we never use. It has a little wear on the white part but we never got the hang of it. Give me $5 plus shipping and I'll send it to you if you want it.
Robin

Ok...apparetnly I have my private messages feature turned off. I can't figure out how to turn it on. I went to settings, then messages but I don't see
an option for the message section.

Please help....

Hello Sue

By default, the ability to send/receive PM's is turned on.

Your inbox is at http://www.ppfacorner.com/private.php (notifications button on top right)

To send a message, you can click http://www.ppfacorner.com/private.php?do=newpm or click "Send new message" from the above screen.

The toggle to turn private messages (PM) on and off is in the settings menu. Here is a direct link: http://www.ppfacorner.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Best regards,
Mike

Thanks much Mike!

It will be on the way today!!!

Glad to help. I have some of these toys sitting around I never use. May as well get them to someone that will use them.

Wow! Kinda like the "Mat Smacker" ... the Doo Hickey; A MUST for every frame shop!

However, I have never been in a frame shop that had a mat smacker.

Jini

I've got a mat smacker! Come on by and see it! It is still in its package! I've had it for 5 years after winning it as a door prize. If you stay in business long enough, and go to enough PPFA meetings, you too will have a veritable museum of framing inventions! :smile-new:

Wow! Kinda like the "Mat Smacker" ... the Doo Hickey; A MUST for every frame shop!

However, I have never been in a frame shop that had a mat smacker.

Jini

Omgsh - my shop came with a mat smacker - never did figure out how to use it! It's in the dark recess of a corner
somewhere.....probably feeling very lonely...maybe I'll have to shadowbox frame it for a sample hehee

I'd never heard of a Doo Hickey before, but over the years we've accumulated about a dozen different kinds of dustcover paper trimming tools, as well as a couple of Mat Smackers.

Can we have a picture of this mat-smacker please to see what we are missing out on?

Kai, I don't have a picture, but think mallet. The idea was that to activate ATG between say a double mat, you needed either a lot of pressure ore force to break the adhesive and activate it, so you snaked it with the mat smacker. In theory, that prevented you from getting grease from your hands on the mats from pounding eith a closed fist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Know what I'd like to have? One of those metal doo whatchies with a wheel that you screw on to the side of and ATG gun to space the ATG tape just so when putting on dust covers. Our screw deteriorated, and the thing is not the same with a metal screw replacement. And that thing that is supposed to slide up and down to serve the same purpose just don't do it the same way.

I'd actually like to a 2 or 3 of them....

Know what I'd like to have? One of those metal doo whatchies with a wheel that you screw on to the side of and ATG gun to space the ATG tape just so when putting on dust covers. Our screw deteriorated, and the thing is not the same with a metal screw replacement. And that thing that is supposed to slide up and down to serve the same purpose just don't do it the same way.

I'd actually like to a 2 or 3 of them....

Ellen - I've never heard of that and I have a brand new ATG gun. It's the very reason why I need a doo hickey...:smile-new:

Back