• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Mat Magic Powders and Inks

Liz Chase

Frequent Poster
Company
The Frame Shop at Lakeside
Hi there! Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of Mat Magic powders and/or inks for french matting? It's my understanding that these are no longer in production. Alternatively, is there another brand available? Thanks for your help.

Mat Magic was produced by Don Pierce and, to my knowledge, has been out of production for many years. As I recall, Don became discouraged when cheaper, lower-quality knock-off products hit the market. According to framing friends who tried them, they were noticeably not as good as Mat Magic.

Somewhere on a shelf, I have a full set of authentic Mat Magic powders and paints. The powders would still be good as new, but the paints are probably dried up by now. I bought it years ago for mat decoration and used it only a few times. As a calligrapher, for mat decoration I tend to gravitate more toward inks and gouache than paints and powders.

If you want my old Mat magic set, I might be persuaded to sell it...
:nod:

Mat Magic was produced by Don Pierce and, to my knowledge, has been out of production for many years.
If you want my old Mat magic set, I might be persuaded to sell it...
:nod:

Jim, do you have a reasonable price in mind considering the age of those inks, I would be interested in owning your antiuqe Mat Magic inks set.
Jini

Jini:
Sorry for the delay, but since you're interested, I wanted to dig out the boxes before I responded further. It turns out that I actually have three sets. One is the original Mat Magic For French Mats, Kit No. 1, with "18 colors for the professional framemaker" under the name "Accu-Rite Engineering Co". The others are newer sets under the Dahle name. The "Starter Set #66-050-6" includes 8 powders and 6 inks, with foam brushes, paintbrush, and the Mat Magic Template. The "Powder Color Set #66-100-6" includes 24 colors of powder. As fate would have it, the storage conditions were pretty good, and the inks are still liquid!

I have photos to share. If you care to send me an email I will attach them in a reply. I think $60 would be a fair price for all three sets, or $20 for each.

Let me know.

Jini: I think $60 would be a fair price for all three sets, or $20 for each.

Let me know.

I was initially interested in only your antiquated ink set or sets, but I will take all three sets. You ask a fair price and I trust your assessment. Thanks Jim.

I will contact at your shop soon, your check is in the mail!

Jini

I'm replying to this rather late, but because I could not get Mat Magic Powders, I make something that works - probably almost as well. Powdered pastels.

I learned about it from Gary Germaine, a local Denver area framer that had used the Mat Magic powders, and switched after they were no longer available. He taught me to use a razor blade to powder the pastels.

I personally use Schmincke soft Pastels. I bought mine in the Netherlands and brought them back here, but I then learned that some of the art stores here carry them. I went on the internet and bought a bunch of 2 oz jars to put the powder in, and they work very well.

I probably have about 100 colors, and so if I need to match something, it is rather easy to do. I have also used them on paper to make wrapped bevels (bevel extensions).

Good luck.

Hi there! Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of Mat Magic powders and/or inks for french matting?
Liz, if you were interested in my Mat Magic sets, they are now sold.

As Russ said, you can scrape pastels to make fine powders and the colors are intermixable. You can do the same with chalk, but you would need to rub it into the mat's surface more thoroughly.

Personally, I still prefer to use the techniques I learned for calligraphic work so many years ago. That is, ink lines, gesso and gilding, and watercolor washes. The only modernization I employ is the use of acrylic gouache, aka airbrush color, because it is waterproof when dry. So, you can draw penlines on a mat and paint very wet watercolor washes between them without fear of smearing or bleeding.

Jim, sorry for my delayed response. I have been out of town and out of touch with Framer's Corner. I appreciate your kind offer, but I actually found and "won" a set of MatMagic powders on ebay -- 24 colors and a few inks, all for $21.97, plus shipping. Haven't received yet, but hopefully all will be good. Thanks again, to everyone who responded.

Hi there! Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of Mat Magic powders and/or inks for french matting? It's my understanding that these are no longer in production. Alternatively, is there another brand available? Thanks for your help.
Liz,
I actually have a complete unused set if you still have a need and want to purchase it from me. I got it MANY years ago, but never got inspired to use that process. You can call me at 215-794-2787.

Thanks.

Back