• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Have you ever entered the PPFA Print or PPFA Open Framing Competition? FMO/FC Poll

Have you ever entered the PPFA Print or PPFA Open Framing Competition? FMO/FC POLL

• Does Not Apply/Not A Framer

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 31 72.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
This Poll and Discussion is taking place in conjunction with the current FMO (For Members Only).
Feedback is welcomed, and don't be surprised if you are quoted in an upcoming edition of FMO! :)
Thanks in advance for your participation and healthy discussion.

Have you ever entered the PPFA Print or PPFA Open Framing Competition?

This poll is in conjunction with FMO

I have entered every year since I joined PPFA! One of my favorite things about PPFA is the framing competition. I love to see the way other framers tackle framing projects!

I love to see the entries in the PPFA competitions, but have never entered one. Too much time involved in making the entry and cost of getting entries half way round the planet in good condition are the reasons I haven't entered.

I have entered a few Australian competitions in the past 28 years and have done OK.

I have entered the competition twice and this is the fourth time I have purchased a "print'.
The first time was the artwork by Chris Paschke, which I sent to Jackson. The second time I ordered the twig, but did not complete it in time for the competition. The third was the slate, that was sent to Jackson via post in a cardboard box. That was not too expensive.

Upon return, there was no certificate, nor ribbon for entering the competition to show to the customers. It is just a piece of artwork framed in an unusual way hanging on the wall.
There may well be some framers who order a print, never enter the competition and keep them as collectables. They are unique and different pieces of art year after year.

I entered until I was not eligible anymore. Once I am off the board I will get back to entering. I use the pieces as very nice displays in my shop and get comments all the time. In fact last week a customer wanted to buy my tree frogs from a few years ago. I priced them high so we will see. I know I should be willing to sell these but I just have a hard time doing so!!!

Robin

I'm in the same situation as Robin.
One of the reasons I am finishing out my Board Term and getting off the board is so I can compete again.
I find the whole process of competing to be a huge marketing tool.

In past years I laid out designs for the PRINT competition and showed/explained to customers what I was doing. Many would offer their opinions (which I promptly ignored) and would get very involved in the process.

When I competed (over four years ago now) many customer's would "check in," even with no art, to see "how we did" in the competition.

Robin Gentry said:
... I use the pieces as very nice displays in my shop and get comments all the time. In fact last week a customer wanted to buy my tree frogs from a few years ago. I priced them high so we will see....

Robin,

Below you will see this framed bird photo that was from the Australian Framing Competition in 2010 as I recall. It didn't win but we displayed it with product as you can see. It sold at full retail. :D

ShopInteriorwithAussieBird_550.jpg

I was one that refused to sell any of our winning framing competition entries as they were part of the "history" of the store. Employees, Managers and my wife have slowly worked on that attitude for a number of years. We have sold a number of winning and non-winning pieces over the years.

We opened our shop in 1978 and entered our first competition in 1979. We placed second at the National PPFA Convention in 1980 - 118 entries were on display in New Orleans.

1981 PPFA Print Competition - Magnolia

That piece is not for sale. Back in those days, the original was on display at PPFA headquarters in Richmond, VA. If you wanted to display the winning entry....you had to re-create it!

John

I have entered every year since I joined PPFA! One of my favorite things about PPFA is the framing competition.

I use the pieces as very nice displays in my shop and get comments all the time.
Robin

I find the whole process of competing to be a huge marketing tool.

As Mikki, I have entered every year since I joined PPFA and find this one of the most valuable benefits.

As Robin, I have them displayed and they are always the topic of conversation

As Cliff, they are a BIG part of my marketing. I have even had TV (VIDEO), Radio and Newspaper coverage of my winning pieces.

P1010389.jpg P1010390.jpg Facebook Header.jpg

Just a bump up for those who have not yet voted or commented.

You may even be quoted in the upcoming edition of FMO.

Mike

Like Robin and Cliff, I'm not eligible to compete while on the board. However, I have competed nearly every year prior to being on the board. A few years, I let just my employee compete without me. We always learn something by doing these pieces. They challenge our creativity, but more than that, they make us research techniques we don't use every day and get proficient at them. Thanks to the Competition Board for their tireless work on these competitions throughout the entire year!

Have always done fairly well at the Chapter level with our pieces and got an Honorable Mention one year in the International OPEN!

For those of you who haven't tried yet - GO FOR IT!!!

Joyce Michels

This poll closes in 2 days, to be included in the next FMO.

If you havent had a chance, please vote now. Comments and discussion are welcomed!

Thanks
Mike

YES, I have entered both OPEN and PRINT PPFA framing competitions.

The very first time I entered PPFA PRINT Competition (1998-1999) at the Chapter level, I felt like I lost. There were only two entries and mine came in second. I didn't send my entry on to compete at PPFA National because I felt like a loser. The few comments I received from the judges on my score sheet were very discouraging for a first time entrant.

In 2005, I earned my MCPF designation and placed first for OPEN in the International PPFA Framing Competition. That was a good year. I also took the Understanding Competition Judging Course and applied to be an Approved Judge.

I have not competed in the past four years now in order to perform the duties of Judge or Secretary at the International level. I have tried to give constructive comments to all entrants, and add a particular note of encouragement to first timers.

This competitin year my plan has been to be available for judging at the Chapter level. I am now an Accredited Judge and available if your chapter needs a qualified judge.

Jini

Yes, I have entered!

I believe the competition is one of the several significant benefits of PPFA. I learn a lot every time I enter. I mean, customers are always happy, but trying to get other framers to say nice things is more difficult! And on the competition, if you meet the standards, they need to say nothing. The only way you will get definite comments is if you are "good", or if you are "bad". A great training tool, especially if you get any "bad's"

I do very little fabric so I will not enter the print this time. But I plan to have an entry in the open.

And I have gone to the international every year.

Back