• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Mom's gift to her son...no kidding.

Jim Miller MCPF GCF

Frequent Poster
GCF Guild
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
ARTFRAME, Inc.
Mom brought in this sword to be framed for her teenage son, as a birthday gift I believe. I asked whether she would like a working display; a frame that opens/recloses so he could take it out and put it back. In typically-maternal style, she said she wanted it closed up so he couldn't get to it. Do you suppose keeping it out of his hands was her motivation for having it framed?

All of the mounts are clear film straps. For the sword, two of the mounts are elevated on pedestals made of foam board (3 layers of 3/16"), covered by top-paper peeled off of a scrap of the matboard. The sheath is held by two simple straps. This sort of mounting is almost invisible from across the room, unlike bulkier mounts made of formed rod, shaped wood or acrylic, or other materials.

The Museum Glass box looks much better than an acrylic box would have, thanks to the optical coatings, and it didn't cost the customer any additional money. The box size is 42" x 10" x 3-1/4" deep, which is the longest one I've built to-date.

Attachments

• Photo-Elevated StrapMount-LoRes.jpg
    Photo-Elevated StrapMount-LoRes.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Photo-Sword-Cut Marked Slots 1-LoRes.jpg
    Photo-Sword-Cut Marked Slots 1-LoRes.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Photo-Sword-Strap at Handle-LoRes.jpg
    Photo-Sword-Strap at Handle-LoRes.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Photo-Sword-ViewRight-LoRes.jpg
    Photo-Sword-ViewRight-LoRes.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 128
Oh, no, it is not an antique. It is new and I hope unused.:fencing: I think the boy bought it online in connection with some sort of video game.

It is to hang horizontally, and in a job like this one, that is important to know. The construction of the glass enclosure would have been different if it were to sit on a table or shelf. In that case, the face glass would rest on top of the side pieces. But for hanging, the face glass rests within the four sides.

Mounting for vertical display would have been easier, as all the weight could have been supported by two pegs at the handle thingy, and the alignment could have been secured by only one other strap near th end of the blade.

One more thing about this sword: The blade is not very sharp. If the blade were sharp, the clear film straps would not have been acceptable, and in that case, I would have used formed rod mounts covered with matte-black shrink tubing.

Very Nice job as always! My Son would Love this

It is to hang horizontally, and in a job like this one, that is important to know. The construction of the glass enclosure would have been different if it were to sit on a table or shelf. In that case, the face glass would rest on top of the side pieces. But for hanging, the face glass rests within the four sides.

Mounting for vertical display would have been easier, as all the weight could have been supported by two pegs at the handle thingy, and the alignment could have been secured by only one other strap near th end of the blade.

One more thing about this sword: The blade is not very sharp. If the blade were sharp, the clear film straps would not have been acceptable, and in that case, I would have used formed rod mounts covered with matte-black shrink tubing.

This is wonderful work. I love it.

Do you mind elaborating on what are these things that are holding the glass pieces together? and how they are made?

Back