• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Needlework crazy

Mikki Kavich MCPF

Frequent Poster
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Mikki's Frame Shop
This is not a perfect fit for this category because I am not showing off the "design" of the framing for this piece. I just wanted you to see what crazy looks like in cross stitch!
This is one ply over one and it is a dot! I don't know the count of this fabric but let me tell you it is tiny!!IMG_4974 (640x480).jpgIMG_4975 (480x640).jpgIMG_4972 (480x640).jpg

And you really do not want to lace on of these with new specks!!! ARGHH!

Wow. That IS mad x-stitch skills there. I used to do x-stitch and did it really well but I don't think even I would have attempted that back then! I can really appreciate that.

And the framing is wonderful too! Spot on! :thumb:
Gail

For checking to see if a needlework has hairs embedded in it, I have a foldable magnifier.
The magnifier is 6 1/2 " square, made of plastic with a glass lens 4 1/4 " diameter. I can slide it over the stretched needlework as if reading a book.

Framers are often equally interested in how the back of a framed picture looks like. We are a peculiar bunch!

Did hear.....

Mikki, Did you what is being used in PPFA comp. this year? You do great work! Darth

The 2013-2014 official PRINT is a needlework creation by textile artist Nhia Lo. With this Hmong PaNdau needlework, each piece is an exquisite, original hand-made creation. On a background fabric approximately 6 ½” square, the image is 4” x 4”. The hand-made appliqué and reverse-appliqué quilt block features hand-dyed Batik fabric over magenta or rose-colored accent fabric on a tan background. There are tiny, hand-embroidered stitches, and all fabrics are 100% cotton. The design is a traditional Hmong design, but this particular color combination will be exclusive to PPFA.BACKGROUND — HMONG: The Hmong are an Asian ethnic group from the mountainous regions of China, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. In 1975 tens of thousands fled to Thailand from Laos seeking political asylum. Thousands of these refugees have resettled in Western countries since the late 1970s, mostly the United States, but also in Australia, France, Canada, South America and in smaller numbers elsewhere around the world. Many Hmong refugees resettled in the United States after the Vietnam War.Hmong groups are often named after the dominant colors, patterns of their traditional clothing, head-dress, and the provinces from which they came. Flower Hmong or the Variegated Hmong (Hmong Lenh or Hmong Hoa) are so named because of the bright colorful embroidery (called pa ndau, literally “flower cloth”).

BACKGROUND – PA NDAU: When the Hmong first arrived in the United States in the late 1970s, some of the families were initially resettled in Pennsylvania. While residing there, Hmong women learned appliqué techniques from the Amish community. Hmong embroidery and appliqué / pa ndau feature various traditional motifs chosen for their meaning, and the blocks are known as story cloths.

Traditionally, Hmong embroidery includes bright colors and is used as a form of decoration on clothing to make it bright and beautiful. From a young age, Hmong girls learn how to sew and copy motifs from their mothers and grandmothers.

Hmong women adapted traditional motifs and developed new styles and crafts for commercial purposes, especially targeted to tourists and the Western market. From traditional textile decorations on clothes, they developed tapestry or story cloths. These tapestries first appeared in the 1980’s when the Hmong people lived in refugee camps. Since there was little opportunity to make money, the women used their embroidery skills to earn income to support their families.

The traditional story cloth squares were adapted to larger sizes, and these oversize squares were transformed into table cloths, pillows, and wall decorations. They also inspired household and accessory items, and blocks are now often sold at local art festivals and craft shows.

BACKGROUND – ARTIST: Textile artist Nhia Lo was born in Naam Lao, Laos. She came to the United States in 1975 and currently resides in Morganton, NC, just on the outskirts of Asheville in the mountains of the western part of the state.

Nhia can usually be found manning her booth at many, various quilt shows around the country, including the annual Quilt Odyssey in Hershey, Pennsylvania, where PPFA members first spotted Nhia and her work. The tables in her booth are piled with hundreds of her gorgeous creations, and she always has a needle in her hand, working on another block. Many blocks are sold individually, while others are sewn into bags / totes, clothing, or other finished items. Always friendly, Nhia eagerly shares her passion for her craft with anyone admiring her artistry.

HANDLING CHALLENGE: This fabric needleart will test the competitor’s knowledge of proper textile handling and mounting techniques. Should it be laced and over-matted? Floated? Presented straight or “on-point” in quilter’s style? Competitors are urged to consult the publication “PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework” for information on the appropriate handling of this piece. The book is available from the PPFA bookstore and provides valuable information on preservation materials and mounting methods for all types of textiles .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darth I do know that and want to know another coincidence? I framed a piece from this same lady for myMCPF needlework piece! I bought it years ag

- - - Updated - - -

....Years ago at a quilt show for my mother! I talked to Linda and we are sure it is from the same artist!!!
Now everyone sing... It's a small world after all! Sorry now everyone has that is their head!

Mikki, you can determine the count by holding a ruler up to the stitching and counting the number of stitches per inch.

Who is the designer or publisher, it looks like a reproduction of the older 'Berlin work' style patterns?

There are some seriously crazy intense needleworkers out there.

An excellent stitcher/customer of mine did this on 32 count Belfast over one. Took her over three years and used over 90 DMC colors. 284353_10150294145044758_3646965_n.jpg

Needle work AIN'T what it used to be. Well, except the reproduction stuff. I just contradicted myself.

Hey Cathy I always wondered how that was done! I delivered it to her yesterday and she was tickeled...well as tickeled as she gets....she is very reserved and serious...kind of makes sense when you look at the kind of work she likes to do.

No mat flourishes of any sort are allowed with her. No fillets no fabric no nothing!

Back