• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

need advice on sourcing composite material options for large framing 3 inch depth deep thick

Gerald Wallens

Participant
Company
Higher Standard Group
Hello, we have been trying to research what alternative materials are in the market (and who are the manufacturers) other than metal and wood that can be screwed and support some heavier pieces such as 4' x 4' x 3"...strong flat and straight! Thank you for any insight, Gerald

Are you looking for material to make frames? or are you looking for supports to attach to the back of the artwork?

There are a few materials other than wood and metal. The ones I am familiar with are MDF and Polystyrene. Polystyrene would not in my opinion be good for heavy items. But MDF should be fine.

I would suggest checking www.pfmdirectory.com and search moulding. You will get a list of many moulding suppliers as well as some manufacturers who should be able to answer your questions

It all depends on the budget and if it is a "one of a kind" or a production situation. There is also the concept of being used to for the conservation of the item being framed vs something only a display item.

There are such materials as resin fiberglass reinforced products, carbon fiber products, or 3-D printed materials.

There are a few materials other than wood and metal. The ones I am familiar with are MDF and Polystyrene. Polystyrene would not in my opinion be good for heavy items. But MDF should be fine.

I would suggest checking www.pfmdirectory.com and search moulding. You will get a list of many moulding suppliers as well as some manufacturers who should be able to answer your questions
Thank you for that info Robin, I do need to learn the specifics about the different polystyrenes and what they can handle

It all depends on the budget and if it is a "one of a kind" or a production situation. There is also the concept of being used to for the conservation of the item being framed vs something only a display item.

There are such materials as resin fiberglass reinforced products, carbon fiber products, or 3-D printed materials.
We are looking for recycled fire resistant similar to pine strength , screw ability, and lower price

A lower price than wood or aluminum? Recycled materials that are fire resistant will likely cost more. BTY, extruded aluminum is mostly made from recycled aluminum.

got ya, do you know a good wholesale source for the extruded aluminum or some expert advice on which product would be best for framing. I have seen picture frames made from a hard plastic that kinda looks like it is foamed inside, any ideas?

Do you want a "off the shelf" moulding or a custom design moulding. My minoxy® microclimate enclosures use custom designed mouldings that I designed and patented or copyrighted their design.

got ya, do you know a good wholesale source for the extruded aluminum or some expert advice on which product would be best for framing. I have seen picture frames made from a hard plastic that kinda looks like it is foamed inside, any ideas?
My idea for you is to stay away from, as Jerry posted, this combo seems like a fire hazard to me. You could reach out to the companies that sell extruded aluminum, for picture framing. Nielson, Designer and the OEM's.
picture frames made from a hard plastic that kinda looks like it is foamed inside, any ideas?

Gerald's product is not picture framing. It is rather sound suppression panels for corporate use that appear to have the same structure as a picture frame. I gave him a suggestion on how to use commercially available materials.

Thank you all for help. I still feel in the same place as 5 years ago. I thought for sure there would be cost effective recycled composite materials to replace wood and save environment that would be lighter and strong and straight. Similar to trex deck boards etc. But seems like nothing. Aluminum is very high priced and going up. Isn't there any screwable plastics/composites?

It all depends on what is your target cost vs what this inflationary market is doing to global prices. Something has to give. What is your target cost per ft / meter? You might have to rework some cost accounting. Many supply chains have multiple sales levels before you might be making the purchase and we do not know how or how much you are purchasing at a time.
You cannot get much cheaper than what I privately suggested to you.

if you decide to look into MDF as an option I would suggest Ultralight MDF. We use it for most of our production (especially larger pieces) due to it's lighter weight. It is available in thicknesses that are 12MM (1/2") and thicker and is about 34% less dense and therefore 34% lighter.

Back