• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Former framer new to this site Hello!

Rebecca Baker

New participant
Company
RebeccaBakerFineArts
I create small watercolor prints and plan to frame them. I want to float them with about 3" space around the paper they're printed on. What can I use for spacers to lift the glass from touching the surface of the print? I know you can buy them from a supplier but is there a simple way to make them for just a few 8 x 10 pieces? I want it to look professional!
Becky

Hi Rebecca and welcome to the PPFA Framers Corner!

There are a couple of options that I can think of:
1) a build up on the side of the frame either the same color as the mount board or a different color which corresponds to the artwork
2) a lift mat which is raised above the highest point of the artwork. You can leave as much airspace around the piece as you wish. With 3" around you could experiment with 2" wide lift mat or 1 1/2" wide lift mats or any variation to get the desired look
3) the commercial spacers from various suppliers - I like the ones from frametek that attach to the glass, framespace.

Others may have more suggestions.

Would love to see some of your work!

The basics of having the WC paper stay flat is a basic problem that you will have to start with and overcome.

It all depends in the technique that you are using to paint. The paper will expand and contract with added moisture in the area where the paint is applied. Uf you are applying moisture in an uneven pattern come areas will expand more than the balance of the papers area. The most successful method is to stretch the entire sheet of paper, humidify/moisten and then allow the paper to dry under tension.
After you have created the painting, it should be allowed to dry, under weight to prevent / reduce the tendency to curl for a length of time so that the tensions of the fibers are stabilized.

If you are looking for a "super flat" work of art, float mounting is not always the easiest method of choosing for display.

Hi Rebecca and welcome to the PPFA Framers Corner!

There are a couple of options that I can think of:
1) a build up on the side of the frame either the same color as the mount board or a different color which corresponds to the artwork
2) a lift mat which is raised above the highest point of the artwork. You can leave as much airspace around the piece as you wish. With 3" around you could experiment with 2" wide lift mat or 1 1/2" wide lift mats or any variation to get the desired look
3) the commercial spacers from various suppliers - I like the ones from frametek that attach to the glass, framespace.

Others may have more suggestions.

Would love to see some of your work!
04022318292.jpg

Oh that is so pretty!

I think I would go the extra step and do the build up on the sides like a shadowbox. If you are framing the same image in different ways I would use different colored sides to pull different colors in the piece. And also some of them with the same color backing and sides just to show how they look different by pulling different colors. I am sure you are but float on a piece of foam or 8ply to give some extra depth.

If they are all original watercolors they may have a bit of wave but that makes them original!

Back