• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Help Narrowing Down Class Selection

Ken Tuvman

Company
Best Picture Framing
Greetings,

I'm trying to decide on what classes to take based on what I feel are my weak areas as a new framer - any suggestions appreciated - want to get registered by tomorrow and ideally spend two days like Sunday/Monday or Monday/Tuesday in class and make 1/2 day to a full day walking the show:

Here's the classes I've noted:

F180L Master Mounting
F116L Shadowboxes
F107L Canvas Workshop
F134 Practical Preservation
M2029 Marriage of Painting and Frame
M201L Creative Mounting
MC707 Fillets
P383 Selling to the Corporate Market
P311 Goltz Standard / Pricing
M2039 American Impressionist Frames from different regions

Thanks much!

Ken
Member #5400

Greetings,

I'm trying to decide on what classes to take based on what I feel are my weak areas as a new framer - any suggestions appreciated - want to get registered by tomorrow and ideally spend two days like Sunday/Monday or Monday/Tuesday in class and make 1/2 day to a full day walking the show:

Here's the classes I've noted:

F180L Master Mounting
F116L Shadowboxes
F107L Canvas Workshop
F134 Practical Preservation
M2029 Marriage of Painting and Frame
M201L Creative Mounting
MC707 Fillets
P383 Selling to the Corporate Market
P311 Goltz Standard / Pricing
M2039 American Impressionist Frames from different regions

Thanks much!

Ken
Member #5400

Ah yes, the challenge of narrowing down the list! It can be a daunting task because of how many great classes are offered. My best advice is to realize that you can't cover it all in one trip and you really have to look at 'nibbling' away at the list each year.

You mentioned when we met that you have a pretty extensive sales and marketing background, and it is the craft side of framing that you need to develop. From that I would suggest looking more at the 'F' series classes you listed. Jay Goltz Pricing class should be high on your list so that you can make sure you are pricing your work in such a way that you are able to return to Vegas in 2019 to take more classes. I would say the M2039 American Impressionist Frames class would be lower on the priority list of someone looking at a broad coverage of the basics.

As for days, load up Sunday with classes as the trade show isn't open that day. Monday is generally the busiest day on the show floor, so that might be another good day to load with classes. Leave at least half a day on Tuesday and maybe some time on Wednesday to explore the floor, a lot of 'informal education' will happen for you there.

Good luck! :smug:

That sounds like a great listing of classes but I believe you have 7:00-8:45 am open on Tuesday.

A class [I believe, free by the way] is Framers Corner Live, which is a takeoff on this forum.

I have never attended this class, but I will this year because it is a chance for open ended questions about almost anything. And this also a chance to hear possible different opinions on the same question.

So if you can, you may want to add this class.:smile:

Back