• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

I'm Off to Italy!

Ellen Collins MCPF

PPFA Vice President
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
Howard's
My sister and I are taking a package tour of Italy. We have free time in Florence, and we both have done the Uffizzi and seen the statue of David.

A while back, someone here told of a museum which had Galileo's original instruments, but I can't find a mention of it in Florence's website of museums.

So, I'd like some help from my framing Italy tourists. And what other obscure places have you found around the usual places? (Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi, Rome, Florence, Venice)

Florence and Rome are amazing places to walk around.

I think is the place you mean? http://www.museogalileo.it/en/visit.html

There is a great Gelato place near the square.

Have a great trip!!! :)

Gelato! I eat it two or three times every day when I am in Italy! Nothing like it here. Closest I came was at the gelato stand at Bellagio, but that was only the one year....

My sister and I are taking a package tour of Italy. We have free time in Florence, and we both have done the Uffizzi and seen the statue of David.

A while back, someone here told of a museum which had Galileo's original instruments, but I can't find a mention of it in Florence's website of museums.

So, I'd like some help from my framing Italy tourists. And what other obscure places have you found around the usual places? (Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi, Rome, Florence, Venice)

If you want something else to do non-art related, the market place in Florence is a nice place to rest and eat (and Gelato), the leather stands out on the street are hard to beat!

If you want something else to do non-art related, the market place in Florence is a nice place to rest and eat (and Gelato), the leather stands out on the street are hard to beat!

There isn't anyplace that I have liked better than Florence. Except maybe Sicily. No, Florence first, Sicily a close second.

Ellen,

I fly to Florence on Thursday with my sisters!

Our first time.
I hope to come back with many stories, pictures, and a full tummy!

I will fill you in mid September!

Ciao!

Florence was amazing!
We did a lot of shopping!
Uffizi and Accademia, of course were the sites to see the first time there.

the Pitti Palace was also the site to see, lots of geeky art. And behind, the Boboli Gardens are breath taking. But be prepared for lots and lots of uphill walking.
The Palace is across the Arno. Also great artisan shops along the Piazza Spiriti. Fort Belvedere is also on that side of the Arno River.

Definitely worth the walk up to Piazza Michaelangelo to watch the sunset and see the city in full.

I really wanted to go to Saint Maria Croce, but ran out of time. You have to dress modestly (shoulders and ankles covered) to go in.
In the back of the Croce, is the leather school. A must see.

The Galileo Museum is along the Arno on the main side, near the Ponte Vecchio. Hard to miss.

Saturday night in the Piazzi Uffizi was a philharmonic giving a concert! It started at 9 pm and went until 11:30! So if on weekend, check out and see if anything is going on!

Siena is amazing! The Duomo is a sight to see, and again we didn't get tickets to go inside, but it would be worth it! It is a huge city, Siena and the streets are wonderful.
San Giamignano is West of Siena and the wine! And the shopping! And the castles!

We stayed in Montalcino which was a wonderful place to wonder around. Very nice people. Their market day is Friday.
Multalpuciano is South of Montalcino and was also THE place for wine. Chianti wine. I recommend the reserva, 2010 or older.
Also go off the main streets for restaurants. So worth it.

Oh, and there is a shop in Montalcino that sells linen by the bolt! Great great fabrics!

Have a wonderful time! I did!

Back