• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Bob Dylan signed guitar in a plexi box

Neil Zellman

Frequent Poster
Company
Framin'Works
So, in keeping with Doug's Grateful Dead framing and while we're in the 60's, we just finished a signed Bob Dylan guitar in a plexi box.
We had the tie dye material created and the material was mounted over a strainer.
A plexi bracket was made in the shop to attach at the strap screw on the guitar.
A fabric wrapped wooden post was made to lift up and attach the headstock end of the neck.

The client insisted that we frame and install the certificate of authenticity behind the neck of the guitar.
We would normally have just put the certificate on the back and we would have preferred that but this is what they insisted on.

Also, the client wanted the guitar to be hung either horizontally or vertically so the framed cert. is attached to a pivot with a handle on the back of the strainer so that it can be rotated either way.
The guitar may seem to be off center in the photos, but it's just the odd angle that the photos were taken.
Photos were taken before the plexi box was installed.
I tuned the guitar before it was attached. :nod:
I've played the guitar for almost 50 years.

I was in a rock band in Chicago in the 60's and 70's but that's a whole other thread...:hippie:
(clic on images for larger pics.)

View attachment 1139View attachment 1140View attachment 1141View attachment 1142

Nice!

As a former musician myself and having worked in a music store as a young man I would not have tuned the guitar when placing in shadowbox. For long term storage of a guitar it is advised to reduce the tension on the strings. As this is probably a guitar that was just used for signing as opposed to a owned/played guitar by Dylan it is probably fine.

That's an impressive design, and the pivoting certificate is a great idea to satisfy the customer's unusual request.

Nice!

As a former musician myself and having worked in a music store as a young man I would not have tuned the guitar when placing in shadowbox. For long term storage of a guitar it is advised to reduce the tension on the strings. As this is probably a guitar that was just used for signing as opposed to a owned/played guitar by Dylan it is probably fine.

I agree.
It actually is a cheap "throw-away" guitar used just for signing.
I've done a lot of these and it's always been a cheap Squire instead of a Strat and a cheap Epiphone instead of a Gibson.

When I mentioned that I tuned it, I actually only tuned it to itself at a much lower key, not to actual playing tune.
I wanted to keep some tension on the neck.

Really like the tie-dye. Just curious, where and how did you attach the pivot. I'd really like to see the back.
I don't have a picture of the back and it's already been picked up.

The pivot is a 1" wooden dowel attached to a piece of masonite on the back of the framed certificate.
The masonite is not touching the cert. and the cert. has a coroplast backing board.
The dowel goes thru the back and thru a block of wood recessed inside the back of the strainer and it has a wooden handle that is indexed to markings on the back for turning the cert. and having it line up straight for horizontal hanging or vertical hanging.

Neil, thanks! I actually understood that which says more about your writing ability than my thinking ability!:smile-new:

I think that is an ingenious design.

I always kid around when we have special projects (and boy, we have a couple of doozies coming up).
I say, "lets put LED's in the frame or motors with remote controls" .:shocked:

But this one actually was a simple design and it worked out well.
Simple is good.

The client insisted that we frame and install the certificate of authenticity behind the neck of the guitar.
We would normally have just put the certificate on the back and we would have preferred that but this is what they insisted on.

I've played the guitar for almost 50 years.

So, you sold it to someone who wanted it framed? Nice double hit there :)

I didn't want the last post to be the final post on this thread, so thank you to all of you who posted positive responses and for the excellent questions about the construction of this project.:thumb:

When I have a project in the works that is musical in nature I try to listen to that musician or band's work while I complete the framing.

This looks great. Thanks for explaining the rotating certificate.

Back