• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

PPFA announces winners of International Framing Competition

J

Jennifer Kruger

PPFA announces winners of International Framing Competition
(McLean, Va., February 18, 2015) The Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) held its International OPEN and PRINT Framing Competition during the PPFA 2015 Convention, held Jan. 25-28 at Bally’s & Paris hotels in Las Vegas, NV. The International Competition is the grand finale of PPFA chapter-level competitions.

Entries were displayed near the PPFA Booth in the WCAF Expo, where viewers could vote for Popular Choice.

Winners were announced January 25, at the PPFA Member Meeting sponsored by Encore Products. The “Competition Celebration” portion of the meeting was sponsored by Tru Vue. Two Popular Choice Awards, sponsored by Picture Framing Magazine, were announced January 28 at the PPFA booth.

In the PRINT category, all participants framed “The Kissing Booths” by artist April Murphy. The winners are:

• First Place: Amanda Kidd Schall and Cliff Wilson, MCPF; Framed in Tatnuck; Worcester, Mass.
  • Second Place: Andy Langlois, CPF; Get the Picture; Saylesville, R.I.
  • Third Place and High-Point First-Time Entry: Leslie Zumwalt; Frame of Mind; Forestville, Calif.
  • 1st Honorable Mention and Berkman Award for Fine Handcrafted Frame, sponsored by PPFA: John Barlowe; Holland Frame Shop; Holland, Ohio
  • 2nd Honorable Mention: Myrna Dow; High Desert Frameworks; Bend, Ore.
  • 3rd Honorable Mention: Elizabeth Evans; Green House Gallery; San Antonio, Texas.
  • Judges Award for Best Use of Fabric, sponsored by Frank’s Fabrics: Paul Rojik, CPF; Christopher Rojik, CPF; Paula Rojik Gannon, CPF; Frame Gallery Inc.; Sharpsburg, Pa.
  • Judges Award for Creative Frame Making, sponsored by Vermont Hardwoods: Judy Niewald; Belmar Frame & Art; Lakewood, Colo.
  • Popular Choice award sponsored by Picture Framing Magazine: John Horrocks, CPF, and Natalie Hood, CPF, Blackbird Frame & Art, Asheville, N.C.
The OPEN category brought in an array of unusual framed items. The winners are:

• First Place and Judges Award for Execution of a Book-Hinged Shadow Box, sponsored by Larson Juhl: Trevor Yates, CPF, and Jenny Yates; Just Frame It; Gladstone, Australia.
  • Second Place and Judges Award for Execution of a Hand-Carved Frame, sponsored by FrameReady by SoftTouch Solutions: Mikki Kavich, MCPF; Mikki's Frame Shop; Crossville, Tenn.
  • Third Place, High-Point First-Time Entry, and Popular Choice award sponsored by Picture Framing Magazine: April Mattedi, CPF; Mattedi Gallery; California, Md.
  • Honorable Mention: Mark Wallenfang; Shooting Star Photo & Custom Framing; Appleton, Wis.
“Congratulations to our winners,” said PPFA President Robin Gentry, MCPF. “This year’s competition had many wonderful entries from across the world with beautiful designs and an eye to preservation framing. This year’s winners represented the picture framing profession with outstanding craftsmanship.”

Judging was held January 24. Jini Lumsden, MCPF, served as head judge in the International OPEN Competition; with judges Sarah Beckett, MCPF; Ken Link, CPF; and secretary Dennis Duarte, MCPF. Linda Wassell, MCPF, served as head judge in the International PRINT Competition, with judges Joyce Michels, MCPF; Patrice Marquardt, CPF; and secretary Meghan MacMillan, MCPF.
The PPFA Competition Board is chaired by Linda Pujo, MCPF; with Kimberley Breil, CPF; and Fred Horton, MCPF.

“Thank you to all who made this International Competition a memorable one, and thank you for allowing us to have a glimpse of the enviable talent of all participating PPFA members,” Pujo said.

Congrats to all the winners! There were some Amazing designs at the Competition Wall. I look forward to seeing all of you in Next Years Competition!

Congratulations to the winners! This competition displayed some of the most creative work I have ever seen! Even though I was short on time, I kept finding myself back in front of the competition wall!

Back