• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Clark Institute tour and dinner presentation: Sunday, 3/8/2015. w/Hugh Glover in MA

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
The Sterling & Francine Clark Art Institute, usually referred to simply as "The Clark", is an art museum with a large and varied collection.

clark15.jpg

• [*=center]1:30PM: THE CLARK 225 South St. Williamstown, MA
Meet us at 1:30 pm. At 2:00 pm we will have a one hour docent tour, followed by an hour of museum time to explore The Clark on your own.

wsg2logo.jpg

• [*=center]4:30PM: WATER ST GRILL 123 Water St. Williamstown, MA
Afterwards we will meet for dinner at The Water St. Grill located about 10 minutes from the Clark Institute where we will have a guest speaker and general meeting. Join us for our meeting at 4:30, including appetizers and a cash bar. This will be followed by dinner at 5:30.

Picture Frames In Museums

0b0c0f60-5f58-4e30-b323-119f28ae282e.jpg

Hugh Glover

ABOUT THE GUEST SPEAKER:

Hugh Glover trained in England in fine woodworking, wood object conservation, carving, and gilding. He has been at the Williamstown Art Conservation Center since 1986, except for one year spent at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Hugh surveys historic picture frame collections, restores the structure and surface decoration on frames, removes disfiguring restorations, installs glazing and micro-climate enclosures, dates frames and determines whether they are original to the artwork, and makes reproduction frames. In 2006 he wrote: A Description of 19th-century American Gilded Picture Frames and an Outline of Their Modern Use and Conservation (http://www.wag-aic.org/2006/glover_06.pdf)

Pre-registration required for both events, as we need to have a count. Space is limited. Register soon to be assured a spot. When registering, please note the names of all attendees.

You can register ONLINE at www.neppfa.com with PayPal or a credit card, or by mailing a check.

EVENT COST:
$64 for non members
$32 for current PPFA members

PPFA members enjoy a 50% discount for these events. Your PayPal receipt serves as your admission ticket for this event. If you have multiple attendees, please change quantity in shopping cart. Family members and staff are welcome at the same rate as the member.

Note: If you are a non member and join PPFA within 30 days, NEPPFA will refund the $32 (50% discount) once certification of registration to PPFA has been established, making your final cost the same as that of members. A trial PPFA membership is only $95, which expires on 9/30/2015. See www.ppfa.com for to become a member of PPFA.

For those mailing a check, click image below for a mailable form:

PLEASE RSVP FOR CLASSES BEFORE MARCH 1, 2015 (if mailing), or March 4, 2015 (online)

We are pleased to introduce the artwork for the 2015 - 2016 PRINT competition.

2015-2016 Print

The Print Competition piece will be available for purchase at this meeting. A total of $50 will cover the combined artwork cost of $30, and the NEPPFA chapter competition entry fee of $20.

Please visit www.neppfa.com for more information, or to register.

A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR NEPPFA SPONSORS: 888 Mfg, Archapex, Brickyard, Carpenter Associates, Craft, Inc, Crescent, Decor Moulding, Don Mar Frame & Moulding, Elmer’s, Fotiou, Framing Products, Evonik Cyro, Frametastic, Larson Juhl, Lineco Inc, Logan Graphic Products, Max Moulding, Nielsen Bainbridge, Omega Moulding, Presto, Smallcorp, Studio Moulding, Tru Vue, Universal/Arquati. Vermont Hardwoods

Last edited:
I wish I were closer also! Looks like a great event

I think PPFA needs a campaign called, "PPFA Opens Doors" -

This is exactly the kind of event that being a member (or paying a substantially higher price if not) should provide access to -

Like the private docent tour of the Met that Suzanne provided to us or having her as a Keynote Speaker, or a tour of the Getty Conservation Labs that the San Diego PPFA Chapter had as an event. I know there were other events on the East Coast but can't name them specifically.

The point is that as an organization, PPFA provides access to people and places that as an individual would be difficult to achieve.

Wish I could join you.

I think PPFA needs a campaign called, "PPFA Opens Doors" -

This is exactly the kind of event that being a member (or paying a substantially higher price if not) should provide access to -

Like the private docent tour of the Met that Suzanne provided to us or having her as a Keynote Speaker, or a tour of the Getty Conservation Labs that the San Diego PPFA Chapter had as an event. I know there were other events on the East Coast but can't name them specifically.

The point is that as an organization,

Wish I could join you.

"PPFA Opens Doors benefit" PPFA through chapters and individuals provides access to people and places that would be difficult to achieve alone.

Done we will add it to the list. Normally we would say blah blah blah chapter meetings, but this is nice way to say much of the same and more.

Sunday is one of very few family days I get. Additionally, in this case I would also miss my church family time to make the event. I also note that while these Dinner Meetings are usually on Sunday, the other meetings are on a more business oriented Monday.

I wonder how many other people feel the same way, and how much better attendance would be if not on Sunday.

Just putting it out there...

Sunday is one of very few family days I get. Additionally, in this case I would also miss my church family time to make the event. I also note that while these Dinner Meetings are usually on Sunday, the other meetings are on a more business oriented Monday.

I wonder how many other people feel the same way, and how much better attendance would be if not on Sunday.

Just putting it out there...

David, I'm not going to make this one either, but your question is interesting.

We actually get a lot of push back that the Monday meetings interfere with business and "why can't we hold them on Sunday?"
The idea a few years ago, when we switched the "winter meeting" from Monday to Sunday and changed it to more of an "outing," was that we might get more of the people who were unhappy with Monday to come.

We probably had a few that don't make Monday, but also a few that do like Monday (like you) don't come.

The total attendance winds up being between 30 and 40, so the board generally feels it works.

The board is always open to other options. A fourth meeting per year that's an outing on Monday?

Settling on a day that works for most is always tricky and frankly, a guess.

David, this is regular discussion and debate for the Board as we try and find the "best" time. Your comments and suggestions have merit and will be shared with the NEPPFA Board.

Back