• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Stanley 400 vises for sale

Mike Drury MCPF

Frequent Poster
Master Certified Picture Framer®
Company
South Hill Gallery
photo 4.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

I am selling some of my Stanley 400 vise collection. Here are photos of two that are ready to go. Price is $85.00 ea. or $150 for a pair. Shipping is about $18.00 ea. due to their weight.

Oh My God!!!! Mike is getting rid of vises, Are you sick or did you get threatened????? Oh I think I figured it out, you are making room for new ones, :thumb: Just a bit of fun here.

If you need Vises Mike knows them so you will be getting good ones for sure.

Robin,

Framing since 1978, we finally moved up to a really great underpinner, double-headed Pilm/Fletcher 5700 in 2009. It does a great job and saves us lots of time!

But our manager refuses to learn how to use it....meanwhile she'll pump out frames by the bucket load, joined on our Stanley 400 vises. (We have four mounted and three reserve, that I just can't part with).

So like Mike...she recognizes a great tool. :thumb:

John

Kai Vanuffelen said:
Say John, do customers not notice and complain about the holes on the side of the frames? On some gilded frames these filled up holes must be obvious. When using an underpinner you don't have holes to fill up.

Kai,

The majority of frames putty quite nicely and as learned years ago, proper brad (Or pin in the UK) placement is into the horizontal rails so that the holes sit top and bottom and obviously less visible.

On sensitive mouldings where this would be an issue...we default to the underpinner. :thumb:

For those Vice purists out there...you all know that a framer has more control on adjusting for torque, warped moulding, bad mitres as well as rails cut from two different sticks of moulding, while using a vice! :D Hence, the loyalty!

Underpinners as great as they can be, actually prioritize the bottom of the frame for flush Versus the more visible top surface....actually backwards.

John

Thanks John,
I would have thought, that if you place the brads sideways, it creates more strength to the frame, as the weight of the glass pushes onto the bottom rail. Having the brads on the bottom instead of the sides thus creates less strength and may cause bottom miters to open in time.

What kind of nailpunches do you use? Flat, that have the same diameter as the head of the brad, or hollowed nailpunches that fit over the head and prevent slipping, but create a bigger hole to fill up.

A vice is an evil or wicked action and is the British spelling of vise.
A vise is a device consisting of two jaws opened and closed by a screw, lever etc. used for holding firmly an object being worked on.

I like to call two vises vixen, which means a female fox, or an ill-tempered, shrewish woman.

Kai Vanuffelen said:
...I would have thought, that if you place the brads sideways, it creates more strength to the frame, as the weight of the glass pushes onto the bottom rail.

Actually Kai,

The brads are placed into the frame for one reason....and that is to keep the contents from falling apart IF THE GLUE FAILS. The glue is what holds a frame together...the brads are the insurance. You can actually build a nice frame with no brads or Vnails at all. :thumb:

Kai Vanuffelen said:
...What kind of nailpunches do you use? Flat, that have the same diameter as the head of the brad, or hollowed nailpunches that fit over the head and prevent slipping, but create a bigger hole to fill up.

Most framers that I know use a nail set that has about the same diameter tip as the brad and is guided by holding your baby finger against it as you tap the brad into the frame. (Framing 101) :D

John

Back