• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

looking for an underpinner

Casses is the company that first developed the underpinner and they still are one of the best brands.
Look for one with a clamp that pushes the two rails together on the inside.
The ones without are for hobbyists.
I do not like the fact, that Casses advertises their products as not needing any glue. When v-nailing one always needs glue.

Some Cassese models come with an adjustable fence to push difficult miters together. This can be handy, but I doubt the longeivity of these miters and cannot see a need for this added feature.

I never exceed the pressure on my v-nailer to 100 psi.
The bigger the holding tank, the longer it takes for the compressot to fire up again and make noise.
You can get reasonably quiet compressors with a small tank.

Ask for their energy-efficiency when buying new. Compressors can last a long time before they are absolutely worn out, but only the newer models are quiet and don't consume an excessive amount of power.

A small compressor means less space it occupies, less weight, easier to move about or throw in the boot of the car for repairs.

Air requirements for CMC or Vnailer are minimal. A standard 85-115 pressure compressor will do the job. (pressure varies, depending on the on/off cycle - it is regulated at the vnailer itself to a lower number)

In our shop, we are using one of the Silentaire models (actually it is a CM50 from AMS, rebadged Silentaire) It handles both items with no problem, and truly is SILENT. You could put that compressor right under the design counter, work with a customer, and they wouldn't know it was running. (about the same sound as a refrigerator) We have ours in the basement, only because that's where the hoses go (from a previous, very loud, compressor)

Good luck with the new purchases!

Mike

Back