• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

Which of These PPFA 2014 Convention Classes/Events Do You Plan To Attend? FMO/FC Poll

Which of These PPFA 2014 Convention Classes/Events Do You Plan To Attend?

• None/Does Not Apply or Not Attending

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Competition Celebration/Lunch/PPFA Meeting

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • PPFA Welcome Reception/Vendor Showcase

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Keynote: “The Frame In Americaâ€�: William Adair

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Framing Oversized Art: Rob Markoff

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Corner Your Market: Meg Peters

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Hinging Heavy Items: Hugh Phibbs

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Hinging Light Items: Hugh Phibbs

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Evaluating Materials: Hugh Phibbs

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Pennants, Patches, Medals & More: Joyce Michels

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Grow Business Through Local Groups: Kirstie Bennett

• E-Newsletters Made Easy: Kirstie Bennett

• Hire & Train a Great Sales/Design Team: Kirstie Bennett

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Glass Enclosures for 3-D Framing: Jim Miller

• High-Tech Framing for Canvas & Textile Artworks: Jim Miller

• Designing With Decorative Papers: Chris Paschke

• Mat Design Ideas & Inspirations for CMCs: Jared Davis

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • PPFA Framers Corner “Ask the Experts" Forum

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Understanding Competition Judging

• CPF, MCPF Exams or Recertification

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Labbe

Forum Administrator
Forum Help Team
Company
Get The Picture
This Poll and Discussion is taking place in conjunction with the current FMO (For Members Only).
Feedback is welcomed, and don't be surprised if you are quoted in an upcoming edition of FMO! :)
Thanks in advance for your participation and healthy discussion.

Which of These PPFA 2014 Convention Classes/Events Do You Plan To Attend?

This poll is in conjunction with the current edition of FMO
inside_pages_600px.jpg

For Members Only (FMO) provides features and news of PPFA and the art and framing industry, profiles of PPFA retailer members, framing tips, marketing ideas, and much more!
http://www.pmai.org/PPFAContent.aspx?id=20300

What OTHER classes would you like to see, if not listed, for a future convention?

Healthy discussion welcomed!

Last edited:
I always try to attend at least one class from Hugh Phibbs.

I go in thinking I know a lot, come out realizing I know very little, but learned even more. I schedule the other classes around the one(s) from Hugh.

I have always maintained that a trade association should provide a "life skills" tract for its members.

Classes such as: Negotiating Skills (applicable on many levels from leases to buying a car to dealing with vendors), Understanding Credit Card Processing, All About Insurance (though there is a free Lunch and Learn at the WCAF), and even a fun class like "Traveling for FREE - secrets of Frequent Flyer and other Affinity Programs" - those skills could provide a very cost effective way for members to afford to attend the show by having their expenses covered by these programs - INCLUDING the cost of classes and meals.

Isn't the Keynote a part of the luncheon? So aren't the two redundant?
This year, the keynote "follows the luncheon" and you can opt to attend one or the other.

I agree that's unlikely, but it is possible.

Question; Is there anything someone was "hoping for" that isn't available?
Other than Rob's "Life Skills" suggestion which is very interesting.
Thinking ahead a little bit to next year.

I have always maintained that a trade association should provide a "life skills" tract for its members.

Classes such as: Negotiating Skills (applicable on many levels from leases to buying a car to dealing with vendors), Understanding Credit Card Processing, All About Insurance (though there is a free Lunch and Learn at the WCAF), and even a fun class like "Traveling for FREE - secrets of Frequent Flyer and other Affinity Programs" - those skills could provide a very cost effective way for members to afford to attend the show by having their expenses covered by these programs - INCLUDING the cost of classes and meals.

:thumb:

I sure wish that Linda Wassel could be teaching a class. I have picked up great things from attending her classes.

Also Rob has some good ideas with the life skills tract. I don't see them as long classes, maybe 30-45 minute mini sessions might work. Maybe Rob could be at the PPFA booth giving these talks at scheduled times during the show. It would certainly draw a crowd.

Question; Is there anything someone was "hoping for" that isn't available?
Thinking ahead a little bit to next year.

Cliff, maybe we should start another thread about the classes we have liked the most.

I always like Hugh, but thinking back, for the first year I went to PPFA, my favorite was Baer's cutting glass by hand (for oval frames), and another class that was at the same time so I could not go was Rob's Finishing wood. I got the notes from someone else that took the class, and I have sold quite a bit of finishing. I wish I could have taken the class. Ovals and hand finished hard wood frames are NOT normally done by the box stores.

At our local chapter, my favorite classes have been by Linda Wassel.

I hope Chapter Leaders are taking note and will perhaps contact Linda Wassell to be a guest educator! We have a write-up and photo in the upcoming Nov/Dec "For Members Only" newsletter of one of her classes in Texas.

Her wonderful hands-on classes are better suited to smaller Chapter groups than to the National Convention - where in January we had classes with as many as 60-70 people, and classes follow quickly after one another with little time for clean up.

The Ed Comm - Fran Gray, Carol Graham, Harry Gaston and Adela Davis - had a huge task of choosing from many wonderful educators and topics - to fill 15 slots (plus PPFA-specific classes relating to Certification and Judging - to get the most bang for the budget buck and to have sessions that can take a large audience (and some classes sell out quickly, so be sure to sign up early.)

This poll is released in conjunction with the current FMO publication. Thank you for participating!

What happens in Vegas will definitely not stay in Vegas!

Framers attending January’s PPFA 2014 Convention – the #1 event in the PPFA year – will return home with a ton of new framing ideas and techniques, tips on how to attract and keep customers, business and marketing advice, as well as new friends and old acquaintances renewed!

Read about the PPFA 2014 speakers, education topics and special events in this issue of “For Members Only (FMO)”!

Also….

• PPFA President John Pruitt shares a “conversation from the near future”
• Metro Atlantic, New England, North Texas, Pacific Southwest, Southeast, Texas Gulf Coast, and Wisconsin/Heartland/North Central Chapters share news and photos
• Hugh Phibbs gives advice on mounting double-sided vellum art
• Which social media outlets got the most votes?
• Nominate a framing peer to serve on the PPFA Board
• Check out vendors with special offers in the new Member Advantage program
• Have an idea for the 2015-16 Competition PRINT piece?

All this and more in your November/December issue of FMO!

I hope Chapter Leaders are taking note and will perhaps contact Linda Wassell to be a guest educator! We have a write-up and photo in the upcoming Nov/Dec "For Members Only" newsletter of one of her classes in Texas.

Her wonderful hands-on classes are better suited to smaller Chapter groups than to the National Convention - where in January we had classes with as many as 60-70 people, and classes follow quickly after one another with little time for clean up.

Also, if Linda's schedule this year, is like last years, she wouldn't have time to teach! She was doing so much behind the scene stuff I don't even know if she had time to see the show!

Last year, I saw her dragging through the halls, late Tuesday (or early Wednesday) and she was exhausted, but she still had her wonderful trademark smile, sparkling eyes, and enthusiasm.... I don't know how she does it.

Likewise, many others that are also exceptional instructors are so busy with other PPFA activities, they don't have the time to teach at the convention.

Thanks to all of the "behind the scene" workers.

Excellent point, Russ! The two Lindas (Pujo and Wassell) will be very busy overseeing the Competition, teaching Understanding Competition Judging, and holding the judges meeting and judges update meeting.

They'll be handing out ribbons/checks during the PPFA Lunch meeting/Competition Celebration on the Sunday, and the 2 Popular Choice winners will be announced at the PPFA Framers Corner forum "Ask the Expert" session on Wednesday. Be sure to select those events when you register!

:bump:

This poll is still on, for a couple more weeks. Please vote if you have a minute to spare. (near the top of this screen, just before the first post)

Back