• Welcome to the Framer's Corner Forum, hosted by the Professional Picture Framers Association. (PPFA)
    You will have to register a free account, before you can SEARCH or access the system. If you have already registered, please LOG IN
    If you have already registered, but can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it.

antique samplers

Jeanette Kelly

New participant
Company
Evergreen Art Center LLC
I have antique samplers to reframe. They currently have no mat and are nailed at the edge to cardboard. The fabric is very open (almost burlap looking). I want suggestions on attaching these to the backboard before I mat them. There is no fabric to wrap around.

Hi Jeanette, You might want to consider couching them down to muslin that is large enough to then stretch around and lace. If the fabric is very open you should be able to do this easily and without it showing.

"Acrylic Overlay Mounting" is a PFM article about Direct Contact Overlay mounting of an antique sampler that was so fragile that it could not be stitched. The edges were nearly gone and the stitches would have shattered the remaining weave. The whole article is too big to attach in one file, so I've split it into two files.

Attachments

• Article-Acrylic Overlay Mtg.-LoRes A.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Article-Acrylic Overlay Mtg.-LoRes B.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
Back